Bobby Fischer playing in Cyberspace, Fischer vs...

Bobby Fischer playing in Cyberspace, Fischer vs...

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D

Moves
14 Apr 07

Has anybody read this?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2001/09/09/nchess09.xml

I wonder if its true, if it is, it just proves how well Bobby Fischer plays.

According to the article Nigel Short played speed games against Kasparov and scored 6-6, when he played fischer he lost 8-0.

Another reason to believe Fischer could definitely take on todays players.

m

Richmond Hill

Moves
14 Apr 07

I'm a little skeptical, but it would be really cool if he were to reappear. I don't doubt that he could hold his own against any of today's players...I wonder why he would go to Japan?

c

Moves
14 Apr 07

Originally posted by Deity
Has anybody read this?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2001/09/09/nchess09.xml

I wonder if its true, if it is, it just proves how well Bobby Fischer plays.

According to the article Nigel Short played speed games against Kasparov and scored 6-6, when he played fischer he lost 8-0.

Another reason to believe Fischer could definitely take on todays players.
That's from 2001 right? I heard it was some Canadian with an engine.

Q

Rashly unpredictable

Moves
14 Apr 07

This seem's plausible to me, because the top GMs are experts in differentating an engines play with a humans. Additionally Short must be intimately fimilar with nearly all of Fischers games and would be able to spot the nuances of Fischers style. I think it would be nearly impossible to create an engine that perfectly imitated a World champions play in slow games, let alone in blitz.

D

Moves
16 Apr 07

Originally posted by cmsMaster
You *heard* that? From where?

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
16 Apr 07

Originally posted by cmsMaster
yeah, I remember reading something about that, but was the engine guy actually mexican? I forget...

c

Moves
16 Apr 07

Originally posted by Deity
You *heard* that? From where?
Bedlam

c

Moves
16 Apr 07

Originally posted by wormwood
yeah, I remember reading something about that, but was the engine guy actually mexican? I forget...
Not sure, I heard Canadian.

b
Best Loser

Traxler is Sound!

Moves
16 Apr 07

wouldn't it be something if such an incredible, yet mysterious chess player like that was playing on here?

... doubt it... but interesting thought.

S

Moves
16 Apr 07

Originally posted by ih8sens
wouldn't it be something if such an incredible, yet mysterious chess player like that was playing on here?

... doubt it... but interesting thought.
He is!
User 228009

b
Best Loser

Traxler is Sound!

Moves
16 Apr 07

Originally posted by Squelchbelch
He is!
User 228009
ROFL!!!

Interesting name...

D

Moves
16 Apr 07

"Fischer" was an engine-using hoaxer. Here's a chessbase article on this topic with games to play through:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=11

o

Moves
16 Apr 07

I saw a guy last year on playchess named Fischer on Kaspy he had a GM title and his profile claimed he was fischer, I watched him play on two consecutive days. He only played games with increment and was quite slow, he reached a rating of about 2800 in blitz if I remember correctly, in almost all the games he was destroying his opponents and he sometimes played weird stuff like 1f3 2kf2.The second day while playing some GM he quit in a loosing position and I haven't seen him since. I was running rybka while watching the games and his moves were almost always engine's first choice. What i found weird about this was the fact that playchess had given him the gm title and I don't think he got banned he just stopped playing, I'm pretty sure it was some guy with an engine.

m

Richmond Hill

Moves
16 Apr 07

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Fischer#Disappearance_and_aftermath_.281975_to_present.29

Does any of this info seem right?

O

Moves
16 Apr 07

Really, anyone who thought it was Fischer wasn't be honest with themselves. It's nice to believe sometimes though, I suppose...