Blitz openings

Blitz openings

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i
SelfProclaimedTitler

Moves
12 Mar 08

Well, that is something total different than CC.

What do you guys play against 1. d4 (rather then d5 or Indian defence). I need something solid but not common so I can confuse my opponents a bit.

A

Sub 1500

Moves
12 Mar 08

im becoming a slav fan. slav for d4 caro-cann for e4.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
12 Mar 08

Originally posted by ivan2908

What do you guys play against 1. d4 (rather then d5 or Indian defence). I need something solid but not common so I can confuse my opponents a bit.
1...f5 leningrad dutch.

it's great because you can play it against almost anything, and mostly the move order doesn't matter. you absolutely need to understand the Bg5 lines though, or you'll lose games very quickly. but when you do, they're just nice free tempos for you.

s

Moves
12 Mar 08

1.d4 d5 2.c4 e5! very interesting...

D

Moves
12 Mar 08

In addition to the Dutch (1.d4 f5) and Albin listed above (1.d4 d5 2.c4 e5):

Budapest 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e5.
Czech Benoni 1.d4 c5 2.d5 e5
Modern 1.d4 g6

Then there's the Dzindzi-Indian 1.d4 g6 2.c4 Bg7 3.Nc3 c5 4.d5 Bxc3+ 5.bxc3 f5. This is similar to the Pterodactyl / Rat openings, where you play g6,Bg7,c5,Qa5 against just about every white setup.

If you're looking for unsound stuff, there's things like 1.d4 e5 2.dxe5 Nc6 3.Nf3 Qe7?! 4.Bf4?! Qb4+

g

Moves
12 Mar 08
1 edit

Super-GM had great success for years with the Tchigorin Defense (1 d4 d5 2 c4 Nc6).

Another dynamic defense that Black can play against almost any opening move other than 1 e4 is the Tarrasch Defense: ...d5, ...e6, ...c5 in some order. Black often is saddled with an isolated d-pawn in the main lines, but as compensation he gets active piece play.

g

Moves
12 Mar 08

Originally posted by Adorea
im becoming a slav fan. slav for d4 caro-cann for e4.
One of my favorite repertoire books is "Black Defensive System for the Rest of your Chess Career" by GM Andrew Soltis. In the book, he recommends both the Slav versus 1 d4 and the Caro-Kann versus 1 e4. Against other openings, he generally advocates systems in which black puts pawn on d5 and c6, just like in the Caro-Kann and the Slav.

n
I Drank What? ©

I'm With Stupid

Moves
12 Mar 08

Originally posted by wormwood
1...f5 leningrad dutch.

it's great because you can play it against almost anything, and mostly the move order doesn't matter. you absolutely need to understand the Bg5 lines though, or you'll lose games very quickly. but when you do, they're just nice free tempos for you.
I use this as well...but one that will really get em off guard is to play d6...then just go into whatever you want if they play c4...but if they play e4 then f5!

The balogh is a very fun and tactical defense and if you know it and they don't...which most people don't...you stand a great chance of winning quickly.

I even play it on here.

Dave

g

Moves
17 Mar 08

You can play 1...Nc6 against any first move by White. Raymond Keene and Byron Jacobs wrote a nice book called "A Complete Defense for Black" which has a ton of instruction and complete games starting with 1...Nc6.

A

Sub 1500

Moves
18 Mar 08

Originally posted by gaychessplayer
You can play 1...Nc6 against any first move by White. Raymond Keene and Byron Jacobs wrote a nice book called "A Complete Defense for Black" which has a ton of instruction and complete games starting with 1...Nc6.
another complete is 1 d3.... black can play 1...d6 in any opening, and therefore so can white.

i have my own little twist on the mieses that i've been running...really enjoy it as it throws out all possibility of playing against a large database. Also, i've had a few "marcozy bind" type positions with it, without having an annoying pawn swap from c5. 😀

JoL
Curb Your Enthusiasm

London

Moves
18 Mar 08

Originally posted by gaychessplayer
... Raymond Keene and Byron Jacobs wrote a nice book called "A Complete Defense for Black" which has a ton of instruction and complete games starting with 1...Nc6.
It's not often you see "Ray Keene" and "nice book" together in the same sentence.

B

Moves
18 Mar 08

Originally posted by JonathanB of London
It's not often you see "Ray Keene" and "nice book" together in the same sentence.
Ray Keene does the puzzles for the Times newspaper. Unfortunately many of his solutions are wrong, I have frequently told him so.

🙄

S

Moves
18 Mar 08

Originally posted by JonathanB of London
Yeah - I bought Raymondo's Complete Book of Gambits many years ago & recently found out that much of the text & analysis had been "borrowed" word-for-word by from other unacknowledged sources. There was a lawsuit & he had to pay damages.
He's called "The Penguin" in certain circles. I don't necessarily think that's just because he wears a tux.

k

Sigulda, Latvia

Moves
18 Mar 08

With white, if you play 1/0, 1. f3 e5 2. Kf3 is quite good. Later you can play e3, attack the center with c4 and do other, similar stuff.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
18 Mar 08
2 edits

In blitz playing white I often use setup 1.d4 2.Nf3 3.g3 4.Bg2 5.0-0. Also I` use this setup in some RHP games.

With black against 1.d4 I`sometimes use Old Indian setup Nf6 - d6 - Nbd7 - e5 - Be7 - 0-0 - c6.

Main advantage of these setups is that they are easy to learn.