Avoid castling

Avoid castling

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b

Moves
20 Jun 08

Castling is sensible a sometimes but dont castle just for the sake of it

Avoid castling because;

a) it sets a come and get me target in the corner
b) as the game progresses and pieces are traded the kings is better placed nearer the centre.

F

Moves
20 Jun 08

Originally posted by bryano
Castling is sensible a sometimes but dont castle just for the sake of it

Avoid castling because;

a) it sets a come and get me target in the corner
b) as the game progresses and pieces are traded the kings is better placed nearer the centre.
The rules of thumb:

(*) Castle as early as poosible.
(*) Castle short, unless is it not better to castle long.
(*) Don't waste the pawn protection in front of a castle king.
(*) Brake the rules of thumb when necessary.

D

Moves
20 Jun 08

Break the rules of thumb when necessary. I absolutely agree.

b

Moves
20 Jun 08

Certainly Ive lost games becasue I didnt castle early, but ive won more because of a surprise late castling (move 20 +) and when heavy pieces have been traded and my king is plumb in the middle.

m

Moves
20 Jun 08

I think you should wait before castling to make it harder for your opponent to know where to attack.

b

Moves
20 Jun 08

Originally posted by moteutsch
I think you should wait before castling to make it harder for your opponent to know where to attack.
Yes. Castling is the biggest misunderstanding in chess. Castling is good in perhaps 1 in 4 games played at club level.

NL

Moves
20 Jun 08

Yes. Castling is the biggest misunderstanding in chess. Castling is good in perhaps 1 in 4 games played at club level.
I'm afraid you're totally wrong. Players looking to improve should not follow this advice. In the vast majority of games it is right and important to look to castle early (mostly kingside). Ignoring this will lead to a loss of many games and prevent you from improving your game.

S

Moves
20 Jun 08

Originally posted by Northern Lad
I'm afraid you're totally wrong. Players looking to improve should not follow this advice. In the vast majority of games it is right and important to look to castle early (mostly kingside). Ignoring this will lead to a loss of many games and prevent you from improving your game.
Yes; the old joke phrase castle early and often springs to mind.

F

Moves
20 Jun 08
1 edit

It makes me happy when my opponent doesn't castle. It makes a perfect target for my attacks, often lethal ones.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
20 Jun 08

As I myself don't particularly enjoy being told this, I did hesitate, but I must ask the age old question. Shouldn't it depend on the position?

But as for rules of thumb and chess sayings, I'm fond of "Castle if you want to or if you need to. Never castle simply because you can."

b

Moves
20 Jun 08

Originally posted by wittywonka
As I myself don't particularly enjoy being told this, I did hesitate, but I must ask the age old question. Shouldn't it depend on the position?

But as for rules of thumb and chess sayings, I'm fond of "Castle if you want to or if you need to. Never castle simply because you can."
But as for rules of thumb and chess sayings, I'm fond of "Castle if you want to or if you need to. Never castle simply because you can."[/b]

Thats the point. Never simply castle becasue you can, like at move 4 or 5. More often that not thats simply setting a target for the opponent. Too often it becomes ( for a begginer) the be all and end all when better moves could be played)

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
20 Jun 08

most mainlines have early castling, because it is THE best move at that point. it's not a coincidence, but a principle tested in acid over hundreds of years.

Moves
20 Jun 08

Originally posted by moteutsch
What if you are on the white side of a sicilian, black has already decided he is going to attack on the queenside. So a delayed castling doesn't make it any harder to "Know where to attack". The side(kingside or queenside) that is being attacked has to do with the opening chosen, not just where the king is.

Although I guess this trick would work for anybody that only attacks the king🙄

F

Moves
20 Jun 08

I think that rules of thumb is good as an interim rule. If you act by the rules of thumb, you don't have to understand the principles behind, You'll be fine in the majority of times.

Next stage is to try to understand the rules of thumb, the why and what and how. Now you undestand when you can, and even, when you must, brake the rule of thumb.

"Castle early" is a rule of thumb. So is "Don't exchange material when you have more terrain" is another. The first is easily grasped, and you quickly know when to break it. Later you learn the other, but until you grasp the spirit of it, just follow the rule. LAter you will grasp this one too.

One rule of thumb is "Every rule of thumb is dependant of the position at hand".
Another is "Know when you can, and when you must, brake a rule of thumb".

STS

Moves
20 Jun 08
1 edit

Just look at games by the big boys and tell me they don't castle in order to secure their King and hook up their Rooks, then we'll have something to talk about.