Anish Giri vs Magnus Carlsen

Anish Giri vs Magnus Carlsen

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s

Moves
16 Feb 11

Chess
Chess Game of the Day! Tata Steel Chess 2011 - Magnus Carlsen vs Anish Giri
This is a game from round 3 of the Tata Steel Chess Tournament 2011 held in Wijk aan Zee. Magnus Carlsen with the white pieces is upset by the very talented and confident 16-year-old Anish Giri in just 22 moves.

Tata Steel Chess 2011 - Magnus Carlsen vs Anish Giri

Wow! The kid is scary good!

Moves
16 Feb 11

Yes great win for Giri, but by all accounts Carlson blundered quite badly, he admitted so in his blog where he says 'In the game against Anish Giri I had the white pieces but allowed him to equalize with a nice sequence out of the opening. Shortly after I blundered a whole piece due to an elementary oversight and felt no urge to continue the game. 0-1'. Quite comforting to know that even Carlson can make mistakes.

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
16 Feb 11

Originally posted by scacchipazzo
Chess
Chess Game of the Day! Tata Steel Chess 2011 - Magnus Carlsen vs Anish Giri
This is a game from round 3 of the Tata Steel Chess Tournament 2011 held in Wijk aan Zee. Magnus Carlsen with the white pieces is upset by the very talented and confident 16-year-old Anish Giri in just 22 moves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0fIuw5fUXk
Tata Steel Chess 2011 - Magnus Carlsen vs Anish Giri

Wow! The kid is scary good!
My eyesight is getting worse than I thought- when I saw the thread title, I thought to myself [i]"Why would Carlsen play some Amish girl, and what's her claim to fame?"

s

Moves
16 Feb 11

Originally posted by Paul Leggett
My eyesight is getting worse than I thought- when I saw the thread title, I thought to myself [i]"Why would Carlsen play some Amish girl, and what's her claim to fame?"
Good one, but you're not alone. I thought the same thing when first looking at the thingie out of corner of my eye. I thought that Amish girl must be pretty darn good!

New Braunfels, Texas

Moves
16 Feb 11

And on the horse drawn buggy ride home, she smiled and sang softly to herself. 🙂

s

Moves
16 Feb 11

Originally posted by MontyMoose
And on the horse drawn buggy ride home, she smiled and sang softly to herself. 🙂
You'd smile and sing loudly if you beat the tar out of Carlsen! Giri is pretty darn good. Another poster blames the loss on a blunder, but I think the pressure caused the blunder.

h
peacedog's keeper

Moves
16 Feb 11
1 edit

You'd smile and sing loudly if you beat the tar out of Carlsen! Giri is pretty darn good. Another poster blames the loss on a blunder, but I think the pressure caused the blunder.
I think the top grandmasters feel the pressure in almost every move of every game they play, or they would never be among the best.

e4

Moves
17 Feb 11
1 edit

s

Moves
17 Feb 11

Originally posted by hedonist
I think the top grandmasters feel the pressure in almost every move of every game they play, or they would never be among the best.
And some take it better than others. Carlsen is supposed to be a cool customer. Perhaps he underestimated the young GM.

w

on your backrank!

Moves
17 Feb 11

&feature=related

t

Moves
17 Feb 11

Go Giri!

I do wonder about the idea behind Carlsen's 11.Qd2.Puzzling move.

toet.

n
Ronin

Hereford Boathouse

Moves
17 Feb 11

Giri's games are well worth looking at, very instructive positional play.

T
I am become Death

Moves
17 Feb 11

Learn interference tactics. It could save your life.

Moves
18 Feb 11

And some take it better than others. Carlsen is supposed to be a cool customer. Perhaps he underestimated the young GM.
No - Carlsen and Giri have a - friendly, AFAICT - history. Possibly Magnus wanted to beat Anish a bit too badly.

Richard

s

Moves
19 Feb 11

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
No - Carlsen and Giri have a - friendly, AFAICT - history. Possibly Magnus wanted to beat Anish a bit too badly.

Richard
Valid point indeed. Easy to blunder under self pressure like that!