Advice to some players.

Advice to some players.

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
22 Mar 07

I like to play the Petroff (e4, e5, Nf3, Nf6) as either White or Black...the exchange variation can lead to some interesting especially if White plays the following line (Cochrane Gambit):

e4, e5, Nf3, Nf6, Nxe5, d6, Nxf7, Kxf7. White gives up a Knight for two important pawns and the potential for a nice Kingside attack and possible mating attack if the game continues with d4, Nxd4, Qh5+.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
22 Mar 07

Originally posted by 93confirmed
I like to play the Petroff (e4, e5, Nf3, Nf6) as either White or Black...the exchange variation can lead to some interesting especially if White plays the following line (Cochrane Gambit):

e4, e5, Nf3, Nf6, Nxe5, d6, Nxf7, Kxf7. White gives up a Knight for two important pawns and the potential for a nice Kingside attack and possible mating attack if the game continues with d4, Nxd4, Qh5+.
Cochrane Gambit is interesting. Latvian IM Alvis Vitolinsh (1946-1997) have been played that with good results.

Unfortunately gambits (except Latvian gambit) is not for me 🙁

m

Moves
23 Mar 07

Qh5 Bc4?hill billy attack isnt it?

Moves
23 Mar 07

Originally posted by Korch
Cochrane Gambit is interesting. Latvian IM Alvis Vitolinsh (1946-1997) have been played that with good results.

Unfortunately gambits (except Latvian gambit) is not for me 🙁
Thanks for the info on him...I'm looking at some games now.

The issue I run into is that I rarely have anyone play the Petroff 2.Nf6 and have only run into it on RHP and other online sites. I'd love to slaughter someone with the Cochrane OTB!

a

Moves
24 Mar 07

I would recommend not to be arrogant against opening which you dont understand. I mean not only unortodoux openings like Grob (1.g4) or Latvians gambit (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 f5), but also some classics openings (like French) which some people misunderstands, showing their arrogance and ignorance. 😠
This has kind of turned into a "crazy unorthodox opening" thread, but I agree. I know very little about openings but I see lots of questionable moves that put players down a pawn on the 4th move. One reason may be that they're bored with the standard opening or opening response. Trying something new. I guess that's the best way to get familiar with it. I'm just glad I'm there to pounce when it happens.

l

Milton Keynes, UK

Moves
24 Mar 07

In thread "Enigma of the French"
Had to search a bit: Thread 63187. 🙂

i

Moves
28 Apr 07

if you are not established in any lines what should you build, just the basic ones?