A little help explaining this draw?

A little help explaining this draw?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
28 Sep 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Red Night
Find the first one.
First post?

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
28 Sep 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Phlabibit
First post?
That was a draw.

Seadevil didn't "resign" to his son in a roughly even position.

He accepted a draw, after a hard fought 32 move game, in a roughly even position.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
28 Sep 07

That was a draw.
SeaDevil's never had a drawn game with anyone rated anywhere near 1500 when the draw was played (with the exception of 1 1600 provisional). Even if the "son" story is true, it's tanking a game to help someone else's rating.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
28 Sep 07
1 edit

That was a draw.

Seadevil didn't "resign" to his son in a roughly even position.

He accepted a draw, after a hard fought 32 move game, in a roughly even position.
Poor choice or words. Sorry about confusion.

I also found a drawn game to a 1380 rated player. 3 pawns, one rook each.

P-

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
28 Sep 07
1 edit

Poor choice or words. Sorry about confusion.

I also found a drawn game to a 1380 rated player. 3 pawns, one rook each.

P-
That's kawika, who was rated well over 2000 at the time.

PoPeYe

This is embarrasking

Moves
28 Sep 07

Originally posted by no1marauder
SeaDevil's never had a drawn game with anyone rated anywhere near 1500 when the draw was played (with the exception of 1 1600 provisional). Even if the "son" story is true, it's tanking a game to help someone else's rating.
I hardly think 8 points helped his ratings all that much. He could have done much better (ratings wise) with another lower rated player.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
28 Sep 07

That's kawika, who was rated well over 2000 at the time.
? The graph seems to say the player was never rated higher than about 1420 or so... what am I missing?

P-

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
28 Sep 07

? The graph seems to say the player was never rated higher than about 1420 or so... what am I missing?

P-
the graph only goes back so far.

Kawika won many big tournaments against some of the best players on the site and several players who have been banned for 3(b) before his rating plummetted down to it's current level.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
28 Sep 07
1 edit

the graph only goes back so far.

Kawika won many big tournaments against some of the best players on the site and several players who have been banned for 3(b) before his rating plummetted down to it's current level.
Not against a "best" player but he won these two games against me in December 2004 when he was rated over 2000.

Game 821919
Game 822132

In fact those were the only games I lost in the first clan league.

L
5. f3

Moves
28 Sep 07

Look, games like this should be played unrated
"Should" does not mean "Must" so he can do as he like rated, unrated upto him. since it his son he has the free choice to what to do.

- LoLLe

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
28 Sep 07

Originally posted by Lolette
"Should" does not mean "Must" so he can do as he like rated, unrated upto him. since it his son he has the free choice to what to do.

- LoLLe
He shouldn't tank games to help his "son's" rating, if that's what really happened. He doesn't have "free choice" to do whatever he wants on RHP.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
28 Sep 07

Originally posted by cashthetrash
I hardly think 8 points helped his ratings all that much. He could have done much better (ratings wise) with another lower rated player.
Actually according to selhye's graph he gained 16 points (1456 to 1472) because of the draw. Try to gain 16 points by playing a lower rated player.

G
Mr. Shield

Moves
28 Sep 07
1 edit

I'm guessing it wasn't a case of helping his son's rating, but more of a 'I shouldn't crush his spirit' type of rationalization. Which given the position, was likely to happen given Seadevil's rating and skill. But either way, I don't agree with the choice to hand out a draw in a rated game. It's just stupid.

Welcome back, again, no1.

Edit: How did salhye get 16 rating points if SD only lost 8? Or is it the way the ratings are calculated, again?

S

Moves
28 Sep 07

Actually according to selhye's graph he gained 16 points (1456 to 1472) because of the draw. Try to gain 16 points by playing a lower rated player.
I know.
I didn't get any sleep last night either.

N

The sky

Moves
28 Sep 07

Originally posted by GalaxyShield
Edit: How did salhye get 16 rating points if SD only lost 8? Or is it the way the ratings are calculated, again?
Yes, it's the way the ratings are calculated. FAQ
K is 32 for salhye, but only 16 for seadevil.