110 Most Fantastic Moves Every Played

110 Most Fantastic Moves Every Played

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
04 Aug 12
1 edit

Originally posted by Fat Lady
That's a rather disappointing response. Surely a lawyer should be more erudite than that? Come on, explain why you think that Kd1 is such a good move. Obviously at least one other person (Krabbé ) agrees with you. It's clearly a different sort of move to most of the others in the list as they are mostly unexpected tactical brilliancies, or at least position 1 at all, it doesn't seem to have been the turning point of the game, so why do you like it?
There is a backstory to this.

The "official" story is that Korchnoi played 10. Kd1 for purely psychological reasons- to "psych" his opponent.

The "real" story is that he intended to castle, but after touching his king he realized he had not yet moved his g1 knight (move order in head not same as move order on board).

He paused, said "Oh &^%$. Well, it's a closed center, so I think I can make this work", at which point the story reverts back to the official version.

I'd be fine with the black side after 10. Kd1!?... but not against Korchnoi!

P

Moves
04 Aug 12

That's a rather disappointing response. Surely a lawyer should be more erudite than that? Come on, explain why you think that Kd1 is such a good move. Obviously at least one other person (Krabbé ) agrees with you. It's clearly a different sort of move to most of the others in the list as they are mostly unexpected tactical brilliancies, or at least position ...[text shortened]... 1 at all, it doesn't seem to have been the turning point of the game, so why do you like it?
😴

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
04 Aug 12

My favourite chess site (or, indeed, site of any sort) on the interweb is Chess Notes by Edward Winter. I could spend all day reading this and indeed have blocked it at work to stop me doing so:
http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/

However another excellent site which I rediscovered after several years when checking the O-O-O-O problem is Tim Krabbé's Ch ...[text shortened]... imaginative the true masters of the chessboard can be and so increase your love of the game.
How have i never seen this before??!!! Awesome 😀

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
04 Aug 12

Originally posted by ketchuplover
MacDonald vs. Burn (Liverpool 1910) 33...Qg4 seems worthy of inspection imo.
Wow, for the life of me i thought white had a won position but that move just brings the whole thing down like a pack of cards! Excellent game. 🙂

Moves
04 Aug 12

Originally posted by Pacifique
😴
Yes, skeeter, we know you are. No need to showcase it. It does not make your balls look any bigger.

Richard

FL

Moves
04 Aug 12

Pacifique isn't Skeeter, he's Korch.

Moves
06 Aug 12

Pacifique isn't Skeeter, he's Korch.
Was Korch ever this banal and childish? I don't think so.

Richard

FL

Moves
07 Aug 12

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
Was Korch ever this banal and childish? I don't think so.
Korch/Cimon/Pacifique behaves like a little kid a lot of the time.

Search for posts containing "For your notice" https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22For+your+notice%22+site%3Achessatwork.com
for evidence that Korch = Pacifique.

P

Moves
07 Aug 12

Korch/Cimon/Pacifique behaves like a little kid a lot of the time.

Search for posts containing "For your notice" https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22For+your+notice%22+site%3Achessatwork.com
for evidence that Korch = Pacifique.
😴

GENS UNA SUMUS

Moves
08 Aug 12
2 edits

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
The thing that I find most galling is that seeing these brilliancies will never make your own game any better. ........

They may be beautiful, they may even be brilliant - useful or educational they are not.

Richard
You need to ask why you play the game. To me it's an art form and not a sport and the pleasure I get is largely as a spectator. I am not quite sure even now why Spassky played ...Nc6 but I don't need Fritz to make me stop and stare - I can still see why it was an amazing thing to do while also tending to agree withTaimanov who is just being honest. Hopefully I am learning to appreciate the game. However, I find these brilliancies a bit hard core at times! I got a book about Alekhine's Block, in which a similar tactic is reiterated over and over to the point of drunkeness and for the most part, it fails ever to become routine or tedious. Every time it brings a smile. I can't say I have managed to actually perform the tactic in practice alas but I am not sure that is the point (maybe it ought to be?)

I can't boast too much about my performance but I am brilliant at reading chess. It is one of my great talents.

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
09 Aug 12

Originally posted by finnegan
You need to ask why you play the game. To me it's an art form and not a sport and the pleasure I get is largely as a spectator. I am not quite sure even now why Spassky played ...Nc6 but I don't need Fritz to make me stop and stare - I can still see why it was an amazing thing to do while also tending to agree withTaimanov who is just being honest. Hopefull ...[text shortened]... ch about my performance but I am brilliant at reading chess. It is one of my great talents.
Well stated. I will never be Olympic-level anything, but I enjoy watching the games.

Moves
10 Aug 12

Originally posted by finnegan
You need to ask why you play the game. To me it's an art form and not a sport and the pleasure I get is largely as a spectator.

I can't boast too much about my performance but I am brilliant at reading chess. It is one of my great talents.
Yes, that aspect of it is quite true, and I do enjoy them as such.

Richard