Subscriptions by mail

Subscriptions by mail

Announcements

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
25 May 06

Due to all the additional admin work involved (and some unhappiness at the bank), we will no longer will be accepting checks/cheques for less than 2 years subscription at once.

-Russ

Wgo

University

Moves
25 May 06

Originally posted by Russ
Due to all the additional admin work involved (and some unhappiness at the bank), we will no longer will be accepting checks/cheques for less than 2 years subscription at once.

-Russ
What about money orders or certified cheques?

e

Moves
26 May 06

-Russ
Is this for new subscriptions or for those already subscribed? What about those whose subscription will be due soon? Can I make the payment by checks on a yearly basis then?

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
26 May 06

Sorry, I don't wish to appear that we are ungrateful for any subscription contributions, but dealing with checks of different currencies (and of low value where people have sent monthly checks) and accounting for them is causing quite a bit of overhead. (And I am my banks least popular customer!)

So, if it is not an electronic payment of some kind, then sorry, it will need to be limited to 2 years at once.

-Russ

Nearing 250000...!

Moves
27 May 06

But sending euro, dollar or pound notes to your address might be possible? Or does the British post agency have a money scanner online while processing the letters and packages?

ab

Moves
27 May 06

In a way. it is kind of convinient for us because we won't have to worry too often when our subscriptions will be due.

Cheers!

DS

Moves
28 May 06
1 edit

First site I've ever seen that refuses to accept money. 😲

ab

Moves
28 May 06

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
I think what Russ means is that everyone can still pay in check/cheques provided they pay for two years subscriptions at one time because there will be less work involved. Furthermore, it will be benefits everyone because they don't have to worry so much about when their subs will be due. They can still pay monthly or yearly by credit card though.🙂

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
29 May 06

-Russ
I can forsee a drop in subscribers 🙁

If people are paying monthly it will no doubt means that this is the easiest way for them to budget. Getting asked to pay up front for 2 years will probably mean that many will be unable to budget and will stop their subscription.

With the volume of worldwide subs there are surely it would be simple enough to operate three bank accounts in £, € and $ within your bank?

If your bank is unhappy with the amount of "work" you are giving them, remember you are paying them substantial fees, then you should look at moving to a better bank.

A simple excel spreadsheet should enable you to keep track of payments received, and reduce admin.

Hopefully the volume of subs who do not renew will not materially affect the site.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
29 May 06

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
Really? I have come across tons of sites that accept credit card only. I guess they must not want my money either.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
29 May 06

Originally posted by adramforall
I can forsee a drop in subscribers 🙁

If people are paying monthly it will no doubt means that this is the easiest way for them to budget. Getting asked to pay up front for 2 years will probably mean that many will be unable to budget and will stop their subscription.

With the volume of worldwide subs there are surely it would be simple enough ...[text shortened]... dmin.

Hopefully the volume of subs who do not renew will not materially affect the site.
90% (estimate) of users pay by credit card.

C

Earth Prime

Moves
29 May 06

I am my banks least popular customer!
You get that many?

H
Finish Him!!!

Chess Club HQ

Moves
29 May 06

Originally posted by adramforall
With the volume of worldwide subs there are surely it would be simple enough to operate three bank accounts in £, € and $ within your bank?
I don't think that it is the currency that is the problem.

Banks levy high charges for dealing with cheques - on a per cheque basis. This means that paying monthly by cheque will cost Russ and the site 12x more than paying annually by cheque.

By requesting that uses who pay by cheque do so for 2 years at a time will vastly reduce the overheads, and this can only be a good thing.

l

Milton Keynes, UK

Moves
30 May 06

Originally posted by Aiko
But sending euro, dollar or pound notes to your address might be possible? Or does the British post agency have a money scanner online while processing the letters and packages?
Sending cash through the post is generally a bad idea.

c
Copyright ©2001-2006

Eastbourne

Moves
30 May 06

Originally posted by lausey
Sending cash through the post is generally a bad idea.
not if you are a post person .