So what, exactly, is an ad-hominem attack?

So what, exactly, is an ad-hominem attack?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you want change

Vote for it!

Moves
26 Jan 13
2 edits

Here is a classic single paragraphed tub-thumping ranting example (not directed at me although there plenty of examples in the archives). Name removed to preserve the dignity of the poster. My emphases added.

"Indeed that is because they are prepared to criticise the argument and not the personality behind the argument. You on the other hand appear to me to be incapable of anything else. I remember keeping a list of the personal abuse that i suffered on this forum, i also recall that you described it as a vanity and an attempt at self aggrandisement, are you denying the fact, no i didn't think so. Once again rather focusing on the point at hand, you direct your arguments at the personality. This thread is an illustrative case in point and quite frankly why in my opinion you are insidious, a slanderer, your posts, not you are slimy, that trolls have low self esteem (i quoted a third party source) , that you fit the behaviour patterns ( I provided evidence of your use of an emotive subject, a failure to answer any questions, your willingness to pit others against each other) etc etc , these are statements of facts. Again i described your posts as tiresome, boring, lacking content which to me they do and are, that trolling is a perversity (again taken from a third party source), yes they are directed at your personality and i myself need to look at that issue and rectify it, but at least i was willing to also look at the issue, which you seem incapable of doing and in fact i had rather a fruitful discussion after i dismissed your posts. So you don't call people names, you certainly misrepresent their position and personalise almost every single post that you make and as far as i am concerned you certainly are best avoided. I am sorry if you find this hurtful, but its been my bitter experience to have any kind of correspondence with you, for this very reason. Time and again, i repeated, its not about me, so that it became a hackneyed cliche and time and again the thread was reduced to a discussion about personalities. I will be pleased if you simply stay away from me, do not respond to my posts, ignore me and treat me as a non entity, thanks in advance

F

Moves
26 Jan 13

I get a bit of a chuckle out of the idea that an ad-hominem attack somehow gains validity if "a third party source" is quoted! 😵

Ro

Moves
26 Jan 13

Cher: I think, no, no I am certain that you are the most unattractive man I have met in my entire life. In the short time that I have known you, you have demonstrated all of the loathsome characteristics of the male personality, AND even discovered a few new ones. You are physically repulsive, morally reprehensible, selfish, stupid, you have no taste, a lousy sense of humor, and you smell. You know, you're not even interesting enough to make me sick.

Jack Nicholson: Uh, do you want to be on the top or the bottom?

rc

Moves
26 Jan 13
3 edits

Interesting that the OP asks the question, what is an ad hominem, when the
following reflect a rather excellent usage of the device, all from the same author
who shall remain nameless to protect his dignity.

You need to get out more and stop obsessing with yourself in the mirror.

I didn't know you spoke retardish.

Robbie's disposition of having a massive ego pumped up by vainglorious pride will
not allow him to admit he was wrong, whilst simultaneously WT dogma tells him he
is right. It's a fascinating cognitive contortion to observe.

It's a pity there isn't an "engine" for you to use to improve your forum posts.

Do you have any thoughts that are your own; about anything?

What is it with you and repeatedly bumping old threads; are you a weirdo?

And this was really "none of my business" a couple of pages back...? Your attention
seeking reminds me of RJHinds.

It is my contention that despite your 'holier than thou' attitude to other Christians
here

I am what I am here Grampy Bobby; consistent, straightforward and as honest as I
can be. Can you say the same?

I resent you using the term "badgering" and I see through your game playing once
again.

You know what I mean; pretending not to just distances us further.

And your missing the point astounds me.

Perhaps if you got caught cheating at chess...oh yes, and someone, somewhere, gave a shat.

If you keep telling yourself that the reason you are so unpopular here is because
Jesus is blessing you, rather than you being a chess cheat and an irritating
spamming fool, you (being you) will eventually believe it I suppose.

Conclusion: it seems a rather chilling example of the fulfilment of Christ's words,
that the accuser, unaware or unwilling to admit of his own faults, seeks to habitually
point out the faults of others. Oh well, as Jesus said, 'haters are gonna hate'.

F

Moves
26 Jan 13
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Interesting that the OP asks the question, what is an ad hominem, when the
following reflect a rather excellent usage of the device, all from the same author
who shall remain nameless to protect his dignity.
You claim that you don't use personal abuse and ad hominems. The author OP has never made such a claim about himself. It is you who has to explain how it is that you think others abuse you but you don't abuse others. I would imagine that I am not alone in believing that you often behave here in the same sort of way as you behave on the Clans Forum.

rc

Moves
26 Jan 13
5 edits

Originally posted by FMF
You claim that you don't use personal abuse and ad hominems. The author OP has never made such a claim about himself. It is you who has to explain how it is that you think others abuse you but you don't abuse others. I would imagine that I am not alone in believing that you often behave here in the same sort of way as you behave on the Clans Forum.
sorry i will not respond to personal attacks, if you have something other than a
personal attack, I may comment, but seeing that it constitutes the overwhelming
majority of the posts that you make, the above being a prime example, ill exercise
patience in this regard. There are plenty of other interesting contributors who do not
need to habitually attack the personality behind the post and from these i have derived
much encouragement.

F

Moves
26 Jan 13

sorry i will not respond to personal attacks, if you have something other than a
personal attack, I may comment, but seeing that it constitutes the overwhelming majority of the posts that you make, ill exercise patience in this regard.
This is interesting. So, if I say 'you often behave here in the same sort of way as you behave on the Clans Forum' do you consider that observation to be a "personal attack"?

rc

Moves
26 Jan 13
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
This is interesting. So, if I say 'you often behave here in the same sort of way as you behave on the Clans Forum' do you consider that observation to be a "personal attack"?
all references to me personally will be ignored. It may help if you stopped using the terms you, your and you're in your posts.

F

Moves
26 Jan 13

all references to me personally will be ignored.
Do you concede that the long post written by you, that was quoted in the OP, was a "personal attack" on me?

rc

Moves
26 Jan 13
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Do you concede that the long post written by you, that was quoted in the OP, was a "personal attack" on me?
I don't come here to discuss myself, sorry, your post will be ignored. Again it may help if you refrained from using the terms, you, or you're in your posts.

F

Moves
26 Jan 13

all references to me personally will be ignored. It may help if you stopped using the terms you, your and you're in your posts.
You have dodged the question: here it is once more... if I make the observation that 'you often behave here [in the Spirituality Forum] in the same sort of way as you behave on the Clans Forum' do you consider that observation to be a "personal attack"?

F

Moves
26 Jan 13

I don't come here to discuss myself, sorry, your post will be ignored.
The long text in the OP was either a "personal attack" or it was not. Surely it's not difficult to decide?

rc

Moves
26 Jan 13

Originally posted by FMF
You have dodged the question: here it is once more... if I make the observation that 'you often behave here [in the Spirituality Forum] in the same sort of way as you behave on the Clans Forum' do you consider that observation to be a "personal attack"?
ignored, all references to persons, personalities will be ignored.

rc

Moves
26 Jan 13
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
The long text in the OP was either a "personal attack" or it was not. Surely it's not difficult to decide?
yes it was a personal attack.

F

Moves
26 Jan 13

ignored, all references to persons, personalities will be ignored.
Does that mean you have decided to stop directing personal and abusive remarks at me?