Inbox

Inbox "View all" games, now "view max" games (150).

Announcements

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
20 Feb 09
2 edits

The maximum number of games visible in the "inbox" without paging is now capped at 150. (When the “view max.” option is selected from site settings.)

This has caused some complaints from people with many hundreds of games in progress.

The reason for this changes is the "my games" page is frequently visited by everyone, and if you have approx 700 games then that is over 1 MEGABYTE of data PER REQUEST of that page. (For most people, this is then compressed to be transmitted over the intertubes, but the page still needs to be constructed) And it can't be cached due to the dynamic nature of the games it lists.

This was hugely inefficient. So, although it is entirely the choice of the player if they wish to play so many games, viewing them all on one page is not an option.

I
King of slow

Moves
20 Feb 09

How about a good way to sort games by urgency then? Sort by 'Alert' went away and didn't come back as part of the reversion to the old inbox style. Something like that would at least allow grouping the important games onto the first page.

Just looking for a way to accommodate both sides. I do understand the efficiency thing, but it's also harsh to tell someone with 700 games to just deal with such a sudden and drastic reduction in functionality.

Highlander

Planet Earth

Moves
21 Feb 09

I still need the "sort by last move" option back
The my games page has lost its purpose for me :'(

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
21 Feb 09

Originally posted by Ichibanov
How about a good way to sort games by urgency then? Sort by 'Alert' went away and didn't come back as part of the reversion to the old inbox style. Something like that would at least allow grouping the important games onto the first page.

Just looking for a way to accommodate both sides. I do understand the efficiency thing, but it's also harsh to tell ...[text shortened]... meone with 700 games to just deal with such a sudden and drastic reduction in functionality.
There are two tiny little boxes next to the "700 games waiting" link in the top right hand corner of the page. When clicked, it brings the 10 most urgent games...😉

K.I.N.G.

Moves
22 Feb 09

Originally posted by Marinkatomb
There are two tiny little boxes next to the "700 games waiting" link in the top right hand corner of the page. When clicked, it brings the 10 most urgent games...😉
Sorting by "time" does exactly the same thing. This is effectively time until you timeout (not time until you start using your timebank).

And the Sort by Last Move is there...

Moves
22 Feb 09

It looks like all of the sorting methods are back. I'd love to see the sort method applied when you use 'Go To Next Waiting Game' as an after move preference.

It seems to always use 'Last Move' as its sort order when determining the next game. I think it would be better if it used the method the player has chosen in My Games.

Then fewer people would need My Games as often, so you'd have fewer page loads.

I sometimes like to sort it so I can see the games in the latter stages, so I sort by move, but I have to go back to My Games between each board viewing.

The same if I have it sorted by urgency.

I think that would be really useful. Also, while I'm at it, adding 'Go To Conditional Moves' as an after move preference would be great too.

Sam.

F

Moves
26 Feb 09

Originally posted by Mutt n Stu
Sorting by "time" does exactly the same thing. This is effectively time until you timeout (not time until you start using your timebank).

And the Sort by Last Move is there...
My 'sorting by time' doesn't seem to work.

This is what I want:
(1) On top I want every game with a flashing red clock.
(2) Then I want every game with a steady red clock.
(3) Then I want every game with a dimmed gray clock.
(4) Then I want every game where my opponent thinks.
Within each category sorted in descending (?) order.
I.e. a panic list!

S
Lead, Follow, or..

Saint Petersburg, FL

Moves
27 Feb 09

Originally posted by FabianFnas

This is what I want:
I.e. a panic list!
I think you want too much 🙁

New Braunfels, Texas

Moves
27 Feb 09

This is what I want:
(2) Then I want every game...
Why you gol-durn young punks! You think the chess world owes you a living? Back in my day, we mailed postcards to each other and it took a week to get there. My town had only one chessboard and we all had to share. The pieces were rocks painted black or white with K or Q or Kt written on them. If somebody promoted a pawn, we had to go find another rock and some more paint!

Grumpy-old-guy-on-his-front-porch-and-you-smart-ass-sumbitches-better-get-off-my-lawn.

F

Moves
27 Feb 09
1 edit

Originally posted by MontyMoose
Why you gol-durn young punks! You think the chess world owes you a living? Back in my day, we mailed postcards to each other and it took a week to get there. My town had only one chessboard and we all had to share. The pieces were rocks painted black or white with K or Q or Kt written on them. If somebody promoted a pawn, we had to go find another rock an ...[text shortened]... paint!

Grumpy-old-guy-on-his-front-porch-and-you-smart-ass-sumbitches-better-get-off-my-lawn.
You used postcards for delivering moves? From what century are you?
I used pidgeons that flew the moves from me and my opponent. The pidgeons I had to catch myself. I was always afraid to lose on time...

You were lucky you had a chessboard. I had to draw the board with a stick at the beach, and think about the moves between the tides. As pieces I used sandcrabs. All alike. They crawl from square to square without me noticing it. My opponent didn't take my queen, a seagull did.

You were lucky, I tell you.

C
Don't Fear Me

Reaping

Moves
27 Feb 09

Originally posted by Russ
intertubes
Amazing. I completely approve of this word!

Nearing 250000...!

Moves
28 Feb 09

This is what I want:
I.e. a panic list!
I want this too...!

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
02 Mar 09

This is what I want:
I.e. a panic list!
Will you be wanting someone to make your moves as well 😛

F

Moves
02 Mar 09

Originally posted by adramforall
Will you be wanting someone to make your moves as well 😛
No, that I can do for myself. I know how to.

But sort the games in a logical panic ordered way, I cannot.

N

The sky

Moves
06 Mar 09

You used postcards for delivering moves? From what century are you?
I used pidgeons that flew the moves from me and my opponent. The pidgeons I had to catch myself. I was always afraid to lose on time...

You were lucky you had a chessboard. I had to draw the board with a stick at the beach, and think about the moves between the tides. As pieces I use ...[text shortened]... me noticing it. My opponent didn't take my queen, a seagull did.

You were lucky, I tell you.
Back in my day, pidgeons weren't even invented yet.