Bail out of GM

Bail out of GM

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
12 Nov 08
1 edit

In case there are those of you who don't know as of yet, as a tax payer you are about to bail out yet another corporation which is GM. It seems that it also is too big to fail. In addition, this particular corporation is near and dear to the hearts of Democrats who are currently in power due to the union affiliations that support their party. Ironically, the unions are part of the problem due to their participation in forcing salaries so high for their workers that it is more difficult to compete with competition around the world who are not forced to pay their workers so well.

Just out of curiosity, who is in favor of tye bail out and who is opposed to it? Not that your opinion matters to law makers.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
12 Nov 08
1 edit

Originally posted by whodey
In case there are those of you who don't know as of yet, as a tax payer you are about to bail out yet another corporation which is GM. It seems that it also is too big to fail. In addition, this particular corporation is near and dear to the hearts of Democrats who are currently in power due to the union affiliations that support their party. Ironically, t ...[text shortened]... n favor of tye bail out and who is opposed to it? Not that your opinion matters to law makers.
Opposed, as I am of the bailout for Fannie Mae.

Nemesio

l
Man of Steel

rushing to and fro

Moves
12 Nov 08

Opposed. Their cars are crap anyway and have been for decades (as are Ford and Chrysler). Let the dinosaurs go extinct. Good riddance.

Lord

Sewers of Holland

Moves
12 Nov 08

Moves
12 Nov 08

I'm against all the bailouts. I don't want to pay for their screwups. If they can't hang, then find a buyer or fold - that's the capitalist way.

Lord

Sewers of Holland

Moves
12 Nov 08

I'd rather see a business in which blue collar workers who actually produce something being bailed out than a bank which is full of b(w)ankers who don't do anything of real value to anybody or anything.

K

Germany

Moves
12 Nov 08

I'm opposed to any bailout of any private corporation. If a business is too important to go bankrupt, it shouldn't be private in the first place. In the case of GM it's the massive government subsidies which caused the problem in the first place, by promoting inefficiency. The market catches up to that eventually.

Blade Runner

Republicants

Moves
12 Nov 08

Originally posted by whodey
Ironically, the unions are part of the problem due to their participation in forcing salaries so high for their workers that it is more difficult to compete with competition around the world who are not forced to pay their workers so well
Why not blame the workers. I mean management obviously had no role to play in mo city's blues. 30 years of lagging behind the rest of the world in terms of engaging with state of the art design obviously must have everything to do with those greedy workers. It is up to them afterall whether the company keeps up with cutting edge technology or whether it keeps up with r&d.

Manky workers! They can laugh now but come the revolution and the machines finally take over.......

K

Germany

Moves
12 Nov 08

It's easy to blame everything on the unions, but wages in Japan are higher and still Japanese carmakers are doing well.

Human

Burnsville, NC, USA

Moves
12 Nov 08

The reason that they feel the need to bail out the auto industry is that GM alone has over 2 million workers. Throw in Ford and Chrysler and we are looking at over 5 million people on the dole. You will be bailing them out one way or another. Obama's plan is to use the bail out to re-tool the auto makers and push them to make greener, more state of the art autos.

I am not a big one for the bail outs, but 5 million unemployed workers in an industry that could (with quite a bit of change) be viable, seems to be a better use of our money.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
12 Nov 08

Let the great American gas-guzzler die a natural death ... please ...

Human

Burnsville, NC, USA

Moves
12 Nov 08

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Let the great American gas-guzzler die a natural death ... please ...
It already has.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
12 Nov 08

Originally posted by CliffLandin
It already has.
Re-tooling sounds like a good idea. And maybe the workers could be trained to produce stuff other than just cars!

l
Man of Steel

rushing to and fro

Moves
12 Nov 08

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
It's easy to blame everything on the unions, but wages in Japan are higher and still Japanese carmakers are doing well.
Aren't the Japanese mostly building cars for the US market in the US?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
12 Nov 08

Originally posted by CliffLandin
The reason that they feel the need to bail out the auto industry is that GM alone has over 2 million workers. Throw in Ford and Chrysler and we are looking at over 5 million people on the dole. You will be bailing them out one way or another. Obama's plan is to use the bail out to re-tool the auto makers and push them to make greener, more state of the a ...[text shortened]... hat could (with quite a bit of change) be viable, seems to be a better use of our money.
There's no evidence that these corporations are in any imminent danger of closing. If need be, then can file for bankruptcy re-organization. Throwing billions of dollars to poorly managed companies is like giving heroin to a junkie.