Using a board to think about moves: is this OK?

Using a board to think about moves: is this OK?

Help

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D

Moves
23 May 07

Is it ok during rhp games (or correspondence games in general) to use a board to assist with thinking about moves? Note I am *not* asking about using a chess engine. I mean setting up the game on a real chess board then playing both sides myself, unassisted by anything else, as an aid to visualisation and planning of moves. Essentially using the board to play out scenarios rather than playing them out just in my head.

I have read the terms of service and nothing I could see seems to rule this out. However since I have just started here I want to make sure I am not planning to do something that is frowned on.

Thanks.

SS

Moves
23 May 07

D

Moves
23 May 07

I didnt realise the analysis feature let me project moves into the future. I thought I could only replay previous moves. Thanks!!

p

Moves
23 May 07

I have found that the Analysis Board allows projecting future moves, but it does NOT allow me to save the notation for each variation I consider. Is thre a way to copy the variation onto the notebook on the game site? It doesn't copy and paste for me. Thanks, Peter

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
23 May 07

Originally posted by pkrones
I have found that the Analysis Board allows projecting future moves, but it does NOT allow me to save the notation for each variation I consider. Is thre a way to copy the variation onto the notebook on the game site? It doesn't copy and paste for me. Thanks, Peter
pkrones,

Consider getting WinBoard at http://www.tim-mann.org/xboard.html

You can paste pgn in and copy it out to a text document.

Next, you can copy the desired moves to your notebook. You might consider saving each PGN in a game folder on your computer and the notebook would be irrelevant. I don't use notebook at all anymore.

There is a lot more this tool can help you with, like setting up fen positions and more.

P-

c
Grammar Nazi

Auschwitz

Moves
24 May 07

Originally posted by Deece
Is it ok during rhp games (or correspondence games in general) to use a board to assist with thinking about moves? Note I am *not* asking about using a chess engine. I mean setting up the game on a real chess board then playing both sides myself, unassisted by anything else, as an aid to visualisation and planning of moves. Essentially using the board to play ...[text shortened]... tarted here I want to make sure I am not planning to do something that is frowned on.

Thanks.
not that it matters, but it's not like anyone could stop you if it was illegal😕

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
25 May 07

Originally posted by clandarkfire
not that it matters, but it's not like anyone could stop you if it was illegal😕
Deece is very capable of stopping himself. Otherwise, he wouldn't have asked.

P-

p

Moves
26 May 07

Thank you, Phlabibit! I will check oit out tomorrow. That would make the site a whole lot easier to use. As you know, when moves sometimes have days between, one can really lose the flow! - Peter

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
26 May 07

Originally posted by pkrones
Thank you, Phlabibit! I will check oit out tomorrow. That would make the site a whole lot easier to use. As you know, when moves sometimes have days between, one can really lose the flow! - Peter
The notebook facility is also handy if you're playing for a certain combination.

D

D

Moves
31 May 07

Originally posted by Phlabibit
Deece is very capable of stopping himself. Otherwise, he wouldn't have asked.

P-
Yes. Stop it or you will go blind.

e
leperchaun messiah

thru a glass onion

Moves
01 Apr 08

i do this...

how about using chess books... during the entire game? don't laugh someone here told me that's acceptable, though i disagree..

RHP Member No.16

Moves
01 Apr 08

Originally posted by eldragonfly
i do this...

how about using chess books... during the entire game? don't laugh someone here told me that's acceptable, though i disagree..
Here you go, from the Terms of Service which you can check at the bottom of the page....

" 3(b) While a game is in progress you may not refer to chess engines, chess computers or be assisted by a third party. Endgame tablebases may not be consulted during play but you may reference books, databases consisting of previously played games between human players, and other pre-existing research materials. "

e
leperchaun messiah

thru a glass onion

Moves
01 Apr 08

Originally posted by mwmiller
Here you go, from the Terms of Service which you can check at the bottom of the page....

" 3(b) While a game is in progress you may not refer to chess engines, chess computers or be assisted by a third party. Endgame tablebases may not be consulted during play but you may reference books, databases consisting of previously played games between human players, and other pre-existing research materials. "
yeah i saw that, thanks.

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
02 Apr 08

i didn't realize that i was allowed to think

R

Moves
02 Apr 08
1 edit

The only time I used a board I spent a few hours working out a win with a king and 2 bishops.

Then promptly forgot how I did it.