Conditional move Q&A

Conditional move Q&A

Help

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
26 Nov 08

Originally posted by Russ
Comments on the above please?
The analysis board doesn't show legal moves, the conditional equivalent should not - rejection of a move should be at the "real" time that move could have been played - i.e. after ones opponent moved.

New Braunfels, Texas

Moves
27 Nov 08

Originally posted by orangutan
Conditionals have two modes - quick and deep.

Hope this helps / makes sense.
It always does! 😉 Folks, look back over the Help forum posts and see how many times his name pops up. I think orangutan should get some kind of "help desk" award from RHP. He's always there with the advice. Thanks, you big ape. 😛

Miami, Florida

Moves
27 Nov 08

Originally posted by Russ
Comments on the above please?
I'd tend to agree with DeepThought.

Highlander

Planet Earth

Moves
27 Nov 08

Personally I would not wish it to provide assistance as in my mind this is 3rd party assistance.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
27 Nov 08
1 edit

Ona different note:

If you look at this game: Game 5631509

You'll find that the result is dispalyed as checkmate, but the position on the board is not. Of course one need not be a genius to figure out the moves by white and black that lead to the mate.

So the question is: Is this not displayed (and noted in the pgn) because I had this in a conditional move?

EDIT: Something strange happened, when I tested the link the result was dispalyed correctly...Was I seeing a ghost?

h

Moves
27 Nov 08

I do not understand the part where it says the conditional moves are queued for "90 days only"?! If my opponent takes over 90 days for his next move, he would have timed-out by then. Could someone explain?

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
27 Nov 08

Originally posted by Ponderable
Ona different note:

If you look at this game: Game 5631509

You'll find that the result is dispalyed as checkmate, but the position on the board is not. Of course one need not be a genius to figure out the moves by white and black that lead to the mate.

So the question is: Is this not displayed (and noted in the pgn) because I had this in a ...[text shortened]... nge happened, when I tested the link the result was dispalyed correctly...Was I seeing a ghost?
I clicked the game link and got:

Looks like mate from here. Did you get a different position?

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
27 Nov 08
1 edit

Originally posted by heinzkat
I do not understand the part where it says the conditional moves are queued for "90 days only"?! If my opponent takes over 90 days for his next move, he would have timed-out by then. Could someone explain?
The conditional move will be played at anytime during a game where that position is reached - not just the next move.

edit : 90 days was chosen just so we can housekeep any abandoned games. Any game lasting longer that 90 days is likely to have progressed to a point that any recorded condition is unlikely to be played anyway.

h

Moves
27 Nov 08

OK, suppose I program this position:

e2-e4

Will every "open invite" game I play from now start with 1. e4? Or should I program in...

h

Moves
27 Nov 08

This position:

If Nc6-b8, e2-e4.

ook

hirsute rooster

Moves
27 Nov 08
1 edit

Originally posted by heinzkat
OK, suppose I program this position:
e2-e4

Will every "open invite" game I play from now start with 1. e4?
The conditional moves are made against each game. It's not a thing that applies to all your games, just the specific game in which you record a move.

Your second example is a slightly unorthodox starting position. I'm not sure I've ever come across a game that starts Nc6.

ook

hirsute rooster

Moves
27 Nov 08

Originally posted by MontyMoose
It always does! 😉 Folks, look back over the Help forum posts and see how many times his name pops up. I think orangutan should get some kind of "help desk" award from RHP. He's always there with the advice. Thanks, you big ape. 😛
Thank you Monty.

I'm simply lulling everyone into a false sense of security with all my helpful advice. I'm doing this so that when I hack into all of the accounts and steal the unused portions of the subs subscription fees, and the rating points from all the non-subs - no one will ever think it was the helpful ape.
I think you'll agree it's a perfect plan.

[edit: Don't go telling anyone now will you - our little secret 😉 ]

PoPeYe

This is embarrasking

Moves
28 Nov 08

I can't seem to set a conditional move for my opponent to castle. When I move the King over two spaces it doesn't want to automatically move the Rook. So if I try to move the Rook over like you do on the Analise board that doesn't seem to work either. Is that a bug in the system or am I missing something? It shows up as a recorded conditional queue wrong. 5....Ke8g8 6, e5 which is an illegal move since there is no castling. How do I make it right?

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
28 Nov 08

Originally posted by SwissGambit
I clicked the game link and got:

[fen]rn4Q1/p1ppkp1p/bp6/8/4P3/1P6/P1Pb2PP/RKq3NR w - - 0 18[/fen]

Looks like mate from here. Did you get a different position?
Yes I did get the situaton after move 17 (the white bishop had not move) with the verdict checkamte. However after visiting via the link after posting I found the correct situation as you referred to.

So my fisrt question has been: Do the conditional moves not show up?

And my second question after the first was rendered nonsensical: Does it take time to show the conditional moves? (Just like in the clan challenges, where points are only awarded when the challenge is visited.

S
Prof.

Blighty

Moves
28 Nov 08

Can we have the ability to set up conditional openings? I often use the same one (as Im a bad player perhaps) with slight changes depending on my opponent, but if we could set up a hierarchy of openings just to get the games more quickly in to the nitty gritty.

Just a thought.