What's your IQ?

What's your IQ?

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
25 Sep 13

Originally posted by Tygert
My scientific question as to whether there is a correlation between chess players and IQ is not being answered so I am going to abandon the thread in future. Yes, there are many variables but this is a forum and I cannot type them all. Please be helpful, use your common sense and put the information together.
I made, arguably, the most reasonable interpretation of your op which was to apply no qualifiers to "average person".

The mistake is entirely your own. As for your unveiled question, I have not yet googled the IQ of the average [chess playing] person.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
25 Sep 13

Originally posted by Agerg
I made, arguably, the most reasonable interpretation of your op which was to apply no qualifiers to "average person".

The mistake is entirely your own. As for your unveiled question, I have not yet googled the IQ of the average [[b]chess playing
] person.[/b]
Please ease off. It's a casual conversation not a university debating society event. Give the guy some air. Thanks.

Moves
25 Sep 13

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Please ease off. It's a casual conversation not a university debating society event. Give the guy some air. Thanks.
Hmm, kind of looked a lot like showing off with feigned innocence to me.

Read a book!

Moves
25 Sep 13

Nice thread, Tygert. My daughter, Heidi's IQ Score is similar to yours.
Do you know the identities of the other eight of the Top Ten?
What's yours, Bobby?

R

Moves
25 Sep 13

Thank you! Please just relax Agerg.
The ten are:
1. William James Sidis
2. Terence Tao
3. Christopher Hirata
4. Kim Ung-Yong
5. Garry Kasparov
6. Marilyn Vos Savant
7. Leonardo da Vinci
8. Judit Polgar
9. Albert Einstein
10. Stephen Hawking

R

Moves
25 Sep 13
1 edit

Originally posted by divegeester
Hmm, kind of looked a lot like showing off with feigned innocence to me.
Oh my gosh how petty and shallow. I did my research before hand as you can see and don't need the likes of your comments and insults. How can one boast about IQ? It is something natural, like how you look. It isn't a compliment to say someone has a high one. What is a compliment is how hard you work. You might have a terrible IQ but try your best. That is more respectable. Back to the scientific topic please?

Moves
25 Sep 13

Oh my gosh how petty and shallow. I did my research before hand as you can see and don't need the likes of your comments and insults.
Im sure you are indeed very bright but IQ is no substitute for sincerity.

R

Moves
25 Sep 13

Originally posted by divegeester
Im sure you are indeed very bright but IQ is no substitute for sincerity.
Read EDIT.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
25 Sep 13
2 edits

Having silently acknowledged he is a smart kid given what I've seen in the spirituality forum, the implied (as opposed in to actual) question he posed in the op is discordant with his iq, and hence my first response. He then chose to escalate by shifting all burden of responsibility for the confusion onto my shoulders (I lack common sense apparently)

Not a happy bunny!

R

Moves
25 Sep 13

Originally posted by Agerg
Having silently acknowledged he is a smart kid, the implied (as opposed in to actual) question he posed in the op is discordant with his iq, and hence my first response. He then chose to escalate by shifting all burden of responsibility for the confusion onto my shoulders (I lack common sense apparently)

Not a happy bunny!
I escalated it? You were the one having a whole harangue over a simple misinterpretation of the question. A bit of an ignominy, don't you think? You are embarrassing yourself further by refusing to accept the correct meaning of the OP.

R

Moves
25 Sep 13

By the way Agerg, the common sense thing was the natural response to your insulting and rather sarcastic response to my genuine question!

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
25 Sep 13

I escalated it? You were the one having a whole harangue over a simple misinterpretation of the question. A bit of an ignominy, don't you think? You are embarrassing yourself further by refusing to accept the correct meaning of the OP.
No embarassment here, one day, when you grow up, you'll realise the virtue in a simple "yeah, I could have worded that better, let me rephrase..." instead of insulting others for your own screw ups

Moves
25 Sep 13

Read EDIT.
Yes I saw your edit, and the insult. One doesn't need to be a genius to see what's happening here.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
25 Sep 13

Thank you! Please just relax Agerg.
The ten are:
1. William James Sidis
2. Terence Tao
3. Christopher Hirata
4. Kim Ung-Yong
5. Garry Kasparov
6. Marilyn Vos Savant
7. Leonardo da Vinci
8. Judit Polgar
9. Albert Einstein
10. Stephen Hawking
Tygert, here's a slightly different list which dovetails with yours. The biography of first of the top ten (with photos) is shown below: "10 People With The Highest IQ Ever Recorded" by Staff Writers

"The human brain is perhaps the most mysterious part of the body. It is so fascinating that it makes us wonder—what is there with it that makes some people intellectually superior than others? But since no one really knows the precise answer to this question, we are only left amazed and interested to find out who the smartest people in the world are and what they have accomplished. Let us take a look at the people with the highest IQ ever recorded listed below.

1. William James Sidis (Photo credit: Wikipedia) "Born in America in 1898, William James Sidis was a wunderkind extraordinaire, gifted with an astounding IQ estimated between 250 and 300. This polyglot went to a grammar school when he was only 6 years old and graduated just within 7 months.

As if that wasn’t impressive enough, at the age of 9, he was already a Harvard student, but since he was too young, he was advised to take a couple of years off just to give his personality some time to catch up and be on a par with his intellect. At the age of 11, he became the youngest student to have ever enrolled at the Harvard University. He graduated cum laude at the age of 16, and entered Harvard Law School at 18."

http://opishposh.com/10-people-with-the-highest-iq-ever-recorded/

Moves
25 Sep 13

What I'm referring to is the average chess player, as they are generally well educated. The average IQ of 100 is not a true reflection of the average person on this site.
All we are really talking about is the degree of correlation between two tests. One is a standardized IQ test, and the other is the "test" by which chess ratings are determined. This latter test is suspect because there are confounding influences such as personal style, time available to play, non-random selection of players, etc.