Unique New York

Unique New York

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Read a book!

Moves
14 Jan 19

@great-big-stees said
A good or bad experience?
How can a visit to Brooklyn be a bad experience?

Moves
14 Jan 19

@handyandy said
Let me ponder that and I'll get back to you.

Read a book!

Moves
14 Jan 19

@handyandy said
Maybe we can get Rusty to visit Brooklyn. With luck, he'd get lost on the subway.

Gothenburg

Moves
14 Jan 19

@handyandy said
Maybe we can get Rusty to visit Brooklyn. With luck, he'd get lost on the subway.
🙂
I would probably get lost on the subway, as I do everywhere else when I'm on my own. I watched a programme about Brooklyn a few days ago and it seems that living there is getting very expensive, so much that people who have lived there all their lives find it hard staying in that part of New York. Is that true?

Read a book!

Moves
14 Jan 19
1 edit

@torunn said
🙂
I would probably get lost on the subway, as I do everywhere else when I'm on my own. I watched a programme about Brooklyn a few days ago and it seems that living there is getting very expensive, so much that people who have lived there all their lives find it hard staying in that part of New York. Is that true?
It's true. I grew up in a rented six-room house in the Park Slope section of Brooklyn where
the monthly rent was $30. Today, the value of that humble home, since renovated extensively,
is more than $2 million. Needless to say, I couldn't afford it.

TEXAS

STATE OF THE HEART

Moves
14 Jan 19

@HandyAndy
New York New York...one of the many cities that I only saw the airport on the way to somewhere else...once while waiting to board a plane to one of those somewhere else's a young lady came over to talk to me because she thought I was Joe Namath...don't know why because I am shorter...and better looking...😀

Gothenburg

Moves
14 Jan 19

@handyandy said
It's true. I grew up in a rented six-room house in the Park Slope section of Brooklyn where
the monthly rent was $30. Today, the value of that humble home, since renovated extensively,
is more than $2 million. Needless to say, I couldn't afford it.
It's a pity as it will probably change the character of Brooklyn. It was also mentioned in the TV-documentary that Harlem is going through a huge change too and is now attracting rich property buyers.

Gothenburg

Moves
14 Jan 19

@leur said
@HandyAndy
New York New York...one of the many cities that I only saw the airport on the way to somewhere else...once while waiting to board a plane to one of those somewhere else's a young lady came over to talk to me because she thought I was Joe Namath...don't know why because I am shorter...and better looking...😀
I'm sure she wasn't disappointed. 🙂

Read a book!

Moves
14 Jan 19

@torunn said
It's a pity as it will probably change the character of Brooklyn. It was also mentioned in the TV-documentary that Harlem is going through a huge change too and is now attracting rich property buyers.
Urban flight has reversed direction. The gentrified inner city now competes with the outer suburbs.

Read a book!

Moves
14 Jan 19

@leur said
@HandyAndy
She must have noticed the devilish look in your eye.

Gothenburg

Moves
14 Jan 19

@handyandy said
Urban flight has reversed direction. The gentrified inner city now competes with the outer suburbs.
For its size, New York feels very welcoming to tourists. When I was there last time, we were surprised to be met with so much kindness and helpfulness, even by people who had nothing to gain. It's an amazing place.

A

RSA

Moves
14 Jan 19

"Irish Wristwatch"

Gothenburg

Moves
15 Jan 19

@ashiitaka said
"Irish Wristwatch"
'Sex laxar i en laxask' (six salmons in a salmon-box) - hard to say fast.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
15 Jan 19

In Ulm und um Ulm und um Ulm herum

a classic German one.

Gothenburg

Moves
15 Jan 19
1 edit

@ponderable said
In Ulm und um Ulm und um Ulm herum

a classic German one.
Here is a sentence we had to practice on when I learned German:

Selten ess ich Essig. Ess ich Essig, ess ich Essig im Salat

(The 'ch' sound was difficult to get right 🙂 )