Umbrellas

Umbrellas

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
18 Feb 18

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-43007051/i-fix-umbrellas-to-save-the-world

This Frenchman repairs umbrellas - he is the only man in Europe who does.
He even gets clients from Australia. (I didn't even know it rained there!)

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
18 Feb 18

Originally posted by @wolfgang59
http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-43007051/i-fix-umbrellas-to-save-the-world

It only storms

Moves
18 Feb 18

Try a different news channel 😛

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
18 Feb 18

Originally posted by @divegeester
Try a different news channel 😛
There is only the BEEB

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
18 Feb 18

In our "toss it out and just buy another" world, this doesn't surprise me.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
18 Feb 18

Originally posted by @suzianne
In our "toss it out and just buy another" world, this doesn't surprise me.
Last Autumn, on a particularly windy and rainy day I popped into a shop to buy an umbrella and it functioned as such for around 7 seconds before being blown inside out and irreparably damaged.

That's 3 pounds I'll never see again.

Moves
18 Feb 18

In Belgrade there is an expression for a man (*or more often for a woman) who grew rapidly old and ill: ravaged as a Chinese umbrella (meaning, of course, that cheep Chinese umbrellas /until year ago, Belgrade was full of Chinese shops of everything, usually of dubious quality).

I belong to that sort of people who forgets gloves, umbrellas, hats, walking sticks (with or without inbuilt sword or riffle), handbags, Geiger counters compasses, machetes, spy cameras in pens and binoculars (regardless I don't get all of those objects with me, usually).

But I found myself in the rain do often during last travels, so I finally bought 2 umbrellas in Malta, this time little better than Chinese ones. The one is even windproof ans is still unpacked. The other one served me well during last 2 years.

Climate changed so drastically, that, for example, in Denmark it rains almost every day and several times a day. Once I had to buy umbrella from the hotel I was logged in, with hotel logo, and it didn't last long, since Copenhagen is also windy. I hear from people from Denmark that they now have only Autumn with few snowing days.

In Serbia there used to be Gipsies who collected old motor car accumulatots but offered instant repair of umbrellas. (Now only peasants sells potatoes on the door... Not even garbage men don't knock any more to sell garbage-postcards...)

But this guy cannot be the only one, I know for two umbrella workshops in Belgrade.

Moves
18 Feb 18

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
Last Autumn, on a particularly windy and rainy day I popped into a shop to buy an umbrella and it functioned as such for around 7 seconds before being blown inside out and irreparably damaged.

This new umbrella technology will revolutionize the industry. Poor umbrella repair techs are being laid off by the millions.

😛

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
18 Feb 18

You'd have only wasted two quid pre-Brexit!

(In response to Dive's 'request' for more Brexit debate!)

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
18 Feb 18

Originally posted by @wolfe63
This new umbrella technology will revolutionize the industry. Poor umbrella repair techs are being laid off by the millions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCeAowOiq0Y

😛
But a new industry will spring up offering disposal of the water those things collect!

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
19 Feb 18

If you frequent the blustery Gurnos I’d recommend a roomy Gore-tex jacket with a peaked adjustable stringed hood. They roll up into the size of a mini rugby ball and fit into a brief case or the grip of a hand. The wind and rain will never get the better of you and well worth the cost. I gave up umbrellas in the olden days. 😉

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
19 Feb 18

Originally posted by @drewnogal
If you frequent the blustery Gurnos I’d recommend a roomy Gore-tex jacket with a peaked adjustable stringed hood. They roll up into the size of a mini rugby ball and fit into a brief case or the grip of a hand. The wind and rain will never get the better of you and well worth the cost. I gave up umbrellas in the olden days. 😉
LOL
I like your SOH.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
19 Feb 18

Originally posted by @drewnogal
Splendid, I will acquire one. (To fit it in my brief case I'll probably have to remove the donkey jacket and gold bars).

Green Boots Cave

Moves
19 Feb 18

Umbrellas and walking sticks were the 2nd fastest growing German export in 2016.Up 30.6% ($130MILLION)😲

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
19 Feb 18

Originally posted by @biffo-konker
Umbrellas and walking sticks were the 2nd fastest growing German export in 2016.Up 30.6% ($130MILLION)😲
And being German they don't break.
Vorsprung durch Technik