The seven stages of grief

The seven stages of grief

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
93d

Shock. Denial. Anger. Bargaining. Depression. Reconstruction. Acceptance.

Is passing through ALL seven of them inevitable?

Can the stages happen in a different order?

ook

hirsute rooster

Moves
93d

@fmf said

I think everyone who deals with grief, deals with it in their own way.

My dad passed just before Covid hit and it was a bit of a shock, but he'd been living with cancer for a while, so not an extreme shock.

Denial? Anger? Bargaining? Depression? Reconstruction? Not sure I ever went through those (unless I'm still in denial).

Acceptance, yup. I got there.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
93d

@fmf said

1. No

2. Yes

c

Moves
93d

That grief model was written by a psychologist in the 1960s but it is not linear. You may need counselling or pastoral support.

Ever heard of Joni and Friends? She lost the use of her limbs through paralysis.

https://joniandfriends.org/podcast/coping-with-grief-and-loss/

Moves
93d

@mchill said
1. No

2. Yes
Thread closed.

F

Moves
93d

@congruent said
You may need counselling or pastoral support.
But how many dozens of inadequate job's worths with diploma-mill certificates and generic insights would you have to hand over good money to before you find one that's up to the task?

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
93d

@fmf said

The points are useful for some who are finding it hard to make sense of their reactions to a loss but I don’t think we’re bound to notice our experience of them all.

Jack Torrance

Overlook Hotel

Moves
93d

@fmf said
But how many dozens of inadequate job's worths with diploma-mill certificates and generic insights would you have to hand over good money to before you find one that's up to the task?
Unfortunately you are correct.

F

Moves
93d

@the-gravedigger said
Unfortunately you are correct.
This is so often the case.

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
93d
1 edit

@fmf said
My experience of bereavement is that it’s a long lonely road. Support from ‘someone’ can help but it takes time to manage coping with our own grief and every loss affects us differently.

Über-Nerd

Moves
93d

@fmf said

Captain Renault: I am shocked, shocked, to discover that gambling is going on here!

Roulette wheel man: Here are your winnings, Monsieur Renault.

Captain Renault: Oh thank you. This establishment is closed until further notice.

Rick: Louis, I think this could be the start of a beautiful friendship.

All seven stages are encapsulated in that film, though not necessarily in the order you listed, and the characters portray them all with consummate skill.

F

Moves
93d

@moonbus said
Captain Renault: I am shocked, shocked, to discover that gambling is going on here!

Roulette wheel man: Here are your winnings, Monsieur Renault.

Captain Renault: Oh thank you. This establishment is closed until further notice.

Rick: Louis, I think this could be the start of a beautiful friendship.

All seven stages are encapsulated in that film, though not necessarily in the order you listed, and the characters portray them all with consummate skill.
Frasier S06E01

"After losing his job at KACL, Frasier keeps himself busy while he looks for work however Niles believes he is experiencing denial. He moves through the other five stages of grief; anger as his former co-workers all find new jobs, bargaining as he assembles his fan club only to find they only have three members who humiliate him by holding a rally no-one attends before finally getting stalled in depression as he starts overeating to the point he steals Alice's baby food. The family eventually stage an intervention and force him to accept the loss of his job."

c

Moves
93d

@fmf said
Wallow in self pity then Grinch

F

Moves
93d

@congruent said
Wallow in self pity then Grinch
That's only one of the seven stages.

Australia

Moves
93d

@mchill said
1. No