The half-forgotten genius

The half-forgotten genius

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
27 Dec 21

Nicolaus Copernicus: 1473 - 1543. With only a few crude mathematical instruments and pen and paper he proved the sun was the center of the solar system and earth revolved around the sun; and did it at a time when it was a pretty dangerous thing to do, considering the Catholic inquisition was running amok at the time. I'm changing my avatar to honor this half-forgotten genius. πŸ™‚

Contentious

Moves
27 Dec 21

πŸ‘

Über-Nerd

Moves
27 Dec 21
1 edit

@mchill

His published work on heliocentricity was on the Vatican list of forbidden books for several centuries.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
27 Dec 21

@mchill said
Nicolaus Copernicus: 1473 - 1543. With only a few crude mathematical instruments and pen and paper he proved the sun was the center of the solar system and earth revolved around the sun; and did it at a time when it was a pretty dangerous thing to do, considering the Catholic inquisition was running amok at the time. I'm changing my avatar to honor this half-forgotten genius. πŸ™‚
In fact he has lots and lots of measurements, otherwise no prove would have been possible at all. So here is to the unknown astronomers (and Tycho Brahe, whom we do know) for nights and nights of precise measurements and data collection!

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
27 Dec 21

@moonbus said
@mchill

His published work on heliocentricity was on the Vatican list of forbidden books for several centuries.
There are posters here today, in the spirituality forum, who are members of religious organisations which prohibit the reading of certain content.

Unbelievable, isn’t it.

RHP Member No.16

Moves
27 Dec 21

@divegeester
Just out of curiosity, what content and which organizations are you talking about?

No need to identify any RHP members but it would be interesting to know details about the organizations and what particular content they do not allow.

Moves
27 Dec 21

@mchill said
Well he certainly made it well past what the average life expectancy was for the time. Genius.πŸ‘

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
27 Dec 21

@ponderable said
In fact he has lots and lots of measurements, otherwise no prove would have been possible at all. So here is to the unknown astronomers (and Tycho Brahe, whom we do know) for nights and nights of precise measurements and data collection!
Well, you're just a little ray of sunshine, aren't you?

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
27 Dec 21

when folks just don't have a clue
i keep on collecting data

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
27 Dec 21

@rookie54 said
when folks just don't have a clue
i keep on collecting data
LOL...What an intelligent thing to do! πŸ™‚

-VR

Jack Torrance

Overlook Hotel

Moves
27 Dec 21

@mchill said
You will become known on here as Copperknickers.

Contentious

Moves
27 Dec 21
1 edit

4 thumbs down for me because I gave the original poster a thumbs up...

You people need a psychiatrist πŸ€”

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
27 Dec 21

@mwmiller said
@divegeester
Just out of curiosity, what content and which organizations are you talking about?

No need to identify any RHP members but it would be interesting to know details about the organizations and what particular content they do not allow.
Jehovah’s Witneses
The Lord’s recovery movement

To name just two, but there are many others.

Australia

Moves
28 Dec 21

@divegeester said
Jehovah’s Witneses
The Lord’s recovery movement

To name just two, but there are many others.
Several conservative Protestant religions have banned books lists. Exclusive Brethren ban tv and radio and internet as well.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
28 Dec 21

@divegeester said
There are posters here today, in the spirituality forum, who are members of religious organisations which prohibit the reading of certain content.

Unbelievable, isn’t it.
There will always be organizations that try to gain power by controlling what people think.