The Big

The Big

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SRB

Moves
10 Oct 21

@drewnogal said
Do I take it you are against boxing? I would understand that. My fleeting interest was through another person who was following the recent pre fight videos. Tyson, sorry Fury!! is a likeable character, quite an entertainer. I do worry that he’ll eventually do himself some serious damage but how can a reigning boxing champion ever walk away from this sport without getting harmed?
I have mixed feelings about boxing, but Manchester...

More seriously I remember reading an article in the BMJ years ago that demonstrated that enzymes that should only be found in brain cells are detectable in the blood by the second round of a boxing match so there is definite damage to some brain cells every fight.

On the one hand people who participate in sport know that there is a good chance they will be hurt or injured in the long run. The state of the knees of ex professional footballers, possible association between heading the ball and Alzheimer's disease etc. They know this and it's their body and they have the right to chose what they do with it.

On the other hand the commercial side of sport has become massive and these days there are very wealthy individuals and companies making millions out of pushing working class lads into fights with increasingly and unnaturally powerful hitters and some will be on a conveyor belt that they can't get off just because of the circumstances they were born into. Of course most of the people with the big money haven't had to put their bodies on the line.

I knew somebody who was an Olympic prospect but they described being told that they had to introduce steroids at that point in their training to reach their potential. It was a good illustration of how hard it was to say no to something they hadn't ever intended to do or realised they were headed towards.

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
10 Oct 21

@Relentless-Red

That on the enzymes sounds terrifying, as does what’s recently been going on in Manchester.

My son’s dad introduced him to boxing at about 10? Luckily he hated it.

SRB

Moves
10 Oct 21

@drewnogal said
@Relentless-Red

That on the enzymes sounds terrifying, as does what’s recently been going on in Manchester.

My son’s dad introduced him to boxing at about 10? Luckily he hated it.
The best counter argument I heard was about the good that the gyms do in the local community getting young people engaged in a healthy channel for aggression. But how healthy is it? I think all sport in general needs to address the drugs issue. In boxing it is really dangerous as the punches get more and more unnaturally powerful. It's doing harm to people in a lot of other sports as well. When I said that of course most of the people with the big money haven't had to put their bodies on the line I should have added that most of the people doing harm to their bodies won't see any of the money. When I was still at junior school I was proud of being given my cousins boxing gloves, but thankfully I never got into using them.

Moves
10 Oct 21

Deal

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
10 Oct 21
1 edit

Lebowski

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118715/

Jack Torrance

Overlook Hotel

Moves
10 Oct 21

Short

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
10 Oct 21

Apple Farm

https://www.thebigapplefarm.com/

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
10 Oct 21

@relentless-red said
I have mixed feelings about boxing, but Manchester...

More seriously I remember reading an article in the BMJ years ago that demonstrated that enzymes that should only be found in brain cells are detectable in the blood by the second round of a boxing match so there is definite damage to some brain cells every fight.
Pro Boxing is where much damage is done to the brain.

Look at what happened to ali. Muhammad Ali was an American professional boxer, activist, entertainer, poet, and philanthropist. Nicknamed The Greatest, he is widely regarded as one of the most significant and celebrated figures of the 20th century, and is frequently ranked as the best heavyweight boxer of all time. Wikipedia

I think he was the best all around fighter of all time, in my humble opinion.

-VR

Jack Torrance

Overlook Hotel

Moves
10 Oct 21

Bang

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
10 Oct 21

@very-rusty said

Look at what happened to ali. Muhammad Ali was an American professional boxer, activist, entertainer, poet, and philanthropist. Nicknamed The Greatest, he is widely regarded as one of the most significant and celebrated figures of the 20th century, and is frequently ranked as the best heavyweight boxer of all time. Wikipedia

-VR
The topic is "The Big", not "The Greatest".

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
10 Oct 21
1 edit

@suzianne said
The topic is "The Big", not "The Greatest".
When have you seen a thread stay on Topic suzianne?

My post was in reply to what r-r said.

-VR

Moves
11 Oct 21

@the-gravedigger said
Short
Brilliant movie, seen it about 5 times now.

Moves
11 Oct 21

shot

SRB

Moves
11 Oct 21

@very-rusty said

-VR
Certainly one of the cleverest. It was tragic to see him with Parkinson's disease.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
11 Oct 21

@relentless-red said
Certainly one of the cleverest. It was tragic to see him with Parkinson's disease.
It certainly was, I think he should have quit while he was on top.

Many Pro boxers fight too long and do more harm to themselves.

-VR