Stonehenge

Stonehenge

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
23 Nov 18

@divegeester said
Is there any other kind?
first time hyde park 1969 16 years old.....the good old days.

Moves
23 Nov 18

@badradger said
first time hyde park 1969 16 years old.....the good old days.
Twickenham 24th August 2003 ‘Forty Licks’ tour.

Wife and I were invited (with a bunch of other employees where we worked) by Accenture to view it from their box. While the free drinks and food served by Asian ladies in traditional dress was somewhat exotic in itself, I would have preferred to have been in the pit at the front.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
23 Nov 18

@divegeester said
Twickenham 24th August 2003 ‘Forty Licks’ tour.

Wife and I were invited (with a bunch of other employees where we worked) by Accenture to view it from their box. While the free drinks and food served by Asian ladies in traditional dress was somewhat exotic in itself, I would have preferred to have been in the pit at the front.
saw mick taylor at Middlesbrough town hall a few years back/ plus peter greens splinter group, saw bb king at Newcastle city hall the best concert ever.the worst was at st jameses park Springsteen put a ban on drinks inside the venue and it pissed down all day.

w

Moves
23 Nov 18

@chaney3 said
Who has visited Stonehenge?

There seem to be a lot of people on this site that are close to it.

What did you think?
I'd say whoever went to the time and trouble to move those stones like that must have been really, really, really, REALLY, drunk.

Moves
23 Nov 18

@badradger said
saw mick taylor at Middlesbrough town hall a few years back/ plus peter greens splinter group, saw bb king at Newcastle city hall the best concert ever.the worst was at st jameses park Springsteen put a ban on drinks inside the venue and it pissed down all day.
Never been a Springsteen fan, he sounds like a grandad at a wedding karaoke.

m

Moves
24 Nov 18

@wolfgang59 said
I've visited it several times.
It is quite impressive.

Unfortunately you can't get up close to it anymore.

The pyramids are more impressing though a bit disappointing.

Knossos, Athens, Ephesus are far more interesting.
I visited Stonehenge a couple of years back.
Looks a bit clinical these days.
The grass is mowed and manicured and inconsistent with the true history of the site.

I almost wish I had brought a 6 iron and a bucket of balls.

Moves
25 Nov 18
1 edit

@mghrn55 said
The grass is mowed and manicured and inconsistent with the true history of the site.

What did you expect, mud huts full of loin-clothed Raquel Welshes and scattered human remains from last nights sacrificial long-bone eatarama? 😛

Gothenburg

Moves
25 Nov 18

@divegeester said
What did you expect, mud huts full of loin-clothed Raquel Welshes and scattered human remains from last nights sacrificial long-bone eatarama? 😛
Imagine the time it took to move those huge rocks miles through woods and difficult terrain...

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
25 Nov 18

@mghrn55 said

How do you think the site should be preserved?

Do you think it should be reconstructed?
There was quite a debate some years ago.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
25 Nov 18

@divegeester said
What did you expect, mud huts full of loin-clothed Raquel Welshes
Disappointed!

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
25 Nov 18

@torunn said
Imagine the time it took to move those huge rocks miles through woods and difficult terrain...
I imagined.
Then thought maybe they brought them by sea?

Gothenburg

Moves
25 Nov 18

@wolfgang59 said
I imagined.
Then thought maybe they brought them by sea?
I learned that they moved the rocks by placing logs under and roll them across he terrain.

Moves
25 Nov 18
1 edit

@torunn said
I think the sarcen monoliths came from quite a distance, Wales I believe.

Gothenburg

Moves
25 Nov 18

@divegeester said
I think the sarcen monoliths came from quite a distance, Wales I believe.
Yes, I think that's what they said. Imagine the time it took, and so heavy - how did they manage to lift, place and replace the logs...?

Moves
25 Nov 18

@torunn said
Yes, I think that's what they said. Imagine the time it took, and so heavy - how did they manage to lift, place and replace the logs...?
Massive amounts of man-power (non gender specific power I should say), same as how the pyramids were constructed. People had a lot of time on their hands in those days of no internet, TV or cheap holidays in the Algarve 😀