Prose fairness?

Prose fairness?

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
21 Apr 20
2 edits

If I have to read 10 short stories for a competition I will read the first one and the second one but then I will glance over the others to see if anything grabs my attention.
Most people will do this also and it ends up favouring the first few stories on the list.

Any solutions?
Present 3 at a time and the winner moves on to the next round?
Obviously it would depend on the number of entries.
Voting could take up to a month but we are just sitting around getting drunk and blundering our games away so who cares how long voting takes?

Any ideas?
I know I won't win but it should still be fair.
If your story is last on the list it will be read by less people.

(Please spare me the self rightious comments like "I will read them all blah blah blah"😉 )

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
21 Apr 20

@flopwrist said
If I have to read 10 short stories for a competition I will read the first one and the second one but then I will glance over the others to see if anything grabs my attention.
Most people will do this also and it ends up favouring the first few stories on the list.

Any solutions?
Obviously it would depend ...[text shortened]... eople.

(Please spare me the self rightious comments like "I will read them all blah blah blah"😉 )
I’ve got enough of my own problems consuming my time for me to worry about your adhd.

Moves
21 Apr 20

@divegeester said
I’ve got enough of my own problems consuming my time for me to worry about your adhd.
Same old Dad I see...

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
21 Apr 20

@Flopwrist

i read them all sksksksksksk

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
21 Apr 20

If you are interested in technique: I read one, make a few notes and read the next at least hours later...It is a bit time consuming I admit, but I think I am okay. You can read my critiques inthe old competitions and see if you have the feeling that I wasn't fair. We can discuss.

Moves
21 Apr 20
1 edit

The older competitions were fine.
Maybe when we have a final count of entries we can come up with something.
Half and Half and the two winners make the final.
Just throwing out ideas is all.

How many entries so far?

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
21 Apr 20

@flopwrist said
The older competitions were fine.
Maybe when we have a final count of entries we can come up with something.
Half and Half and the two winners make the final.
Just throwing out ideas is all.

How many entries so far?
We have six entries at the time being.

remember Everyone can submit, retract, replace as people see fit.

Moves
21 Apr 20

I am going to submit mine but I was hoping you would spell check it and correct the grammar?
You do that right?

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
21 Apr 20

@flopwrist said
I am going to submit mine but I was hoping you would spell check it and correct the grammar?
You do that right?
No I don't.
Two reasons:
First of all I am not qualified to do that, being a non-native speaker.
Secondly I don't want to make the mental realtion between the entry and the author not to be influenced by personal sympathy in my own voting.

Moves
21 Apr 20

The spelling Nazis will be in full force. 🙄

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
21 Apr 20

@flopwrist said
You do that right?
That isn't permitted, as I asked years ago and was told no. It had to be my own no help from a 3rd party. Same reason as you spelling, grammar and the way things are worded.

-VR

Moves
21 Apr 20

Fair enough.
People should also stop hinting at their story plots which is a sly way to get friends to vote for their story.
(Not you rusty)

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
21 Apr 20

@flopwrist said
Fair enough.
People should also stop hinting at their story plots which is a sly way to get friends to vote for their story.
(Not you rusty)
Well they could be just pulling chains. If they have to do that to get votes, what is the sense in the whole prose competition?

-VR

Moves
21 Apr 20

I'm hearing penguins and polar bears and bicycles and Ghost sent me a message offering a years membership for my vote?
This year corruption is rampant! 😐

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
21 Apr 20

@flopwrist said

Any solutions?
Obviously it would depend ...[text shortened]... eople.

Last year my entry was the last one presented. (And finished in second place).

I think this shows most people do read all of them.