Pop up -- system doctor

Pop up -- system doctor

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
01 Feb 07

Anyone have this pop up add come up on your screen telling you to install System Doctor?

I click Cancel, but it just goes to their site and takes me outta RHP.

BOOO😞

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
01 Feb 07

Originally posted by uzless
Anyone have this pop up add come up on your screen telling you to install System Doctor?

BOOO😞
Whats a pop up?

Oh yes, now I remember, its one of these annoying things you have to put up with if you don't have a star.

🙂

ook

hirsute rooster

Moves
01 Feb 07

BOOO😞
Go to -

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

You can download a hosts file from there that associates a load of annoying / malicious / generally bad websites with your own pc. It basically blocks these things from going anywhere, stops tracking cookies etc. etc.

Spybot (http://www.spybot.info) has a tool that does the same job.

You could always sign-up for here though - It's a lot less hassle.

TokerSmurf

Bonnie Scotland

Moves
01 Feb 07

Originally posted by adramforall
Whats a pop up?

Oh yes, now I remember, its one of these annoying things you have to put up with if you don't have a star.

🙂
I'm a non-sub using IE and have never had such a popup from RHP.

Run "adaware" and "spybot" would be my advice.

DS

Moves
01 Feb 07

System Doctor is listed as a Rogue spyware scanner.

Use this removal tool and avoid the site where you got it unless you have protection [as mentioned above]

Smitfraud.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/smitfraudfix.php

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
01 Feb 07

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove

Use this removal tool and avoid the site where you got it unless you have protection [as mentioned above]

Smitfraud.
It popped up while I was surfing this site!

e

Moves
01 Feb 07

its not while you were surfing the site, the pop up works on a timer, you could have been on any website... its been edited either into your exployer.exe file or into the system registry... like someone said, download spybot or adaware and do a scan that should get rid of it, if it doesnt, delete all cookies and delete all files (offline too) and do a system restore on your system back to a time when you didnt have the pop up... if its still there... download mozilla and surf the net through that... if its still there.... back up all data and reinstall operating system... if its still there.... thats one committed popup

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
01 Feb 07

BOOO😞
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic58656.html

D

A
D_U_N_E

Arrakis

Moves
02 Feb 07

Smitfraud.
I tried this site and it said I had 750 intrusions, but it will only delete them if I buy their product!

I know I don't have that many intrusions. I run two excellent anti-spyware programs and they say I have none.

So this is an outright SCAM guys! Why are you recommending a program that uses a scare scam to sell it's software?

DS

Moves
02 Feb 07

Originally posted by arrakis
I tried this site and it said I had 750 intrusions, but it will only delete them if I buy their product!

I know I don't have that many intrusions. I run two excellent anti-spyware programs and they say I have none.

So this is an outright SCAM guys! Why are you recommending a program that uses a scare scam to sell it's software?
"SmitFraudFix is a tool that S!Ri created to remove rogue anti-spyware applications that utilize Trojans to issue fake taskbar security alerts or that change your background in order to scare you into purchasing the full commercial version of their software.. "

It's freeware - they're not selling anything, I've used this several times - never heard of that - in fact it's used specifically to remove programs that do as you describe.

IC

Moves
02 Feb 07

I have a pop up blocker. I don't even have it on, and I never get popup ads. 😕

A
D_U_N_E

Arrakis

Moves
02 Feb 07

"SmitFraudFix is a tool that S!Ri created to remove rogue anti-spyware applications that utilize Trojans to issue fake taskbar security alerts or that change your background in order to scare you into purchasing the full commercial version of their software.. "

It's freeware - they're not selling anything, I've used this several times - neve ...[text shortened]... heard of that - in fact it's used specifically to remove programs that do as you describe.
Here's how that website works. If a person goes to that site and clicks on the upper left corner which says:

Fix Remove spyware.exe
Download a Free Scan Tool & Fix
Remove spyware.exe Instantly!

Then the scam program loads. You run it and it says you have 750 errors, but only the registered version will correct them. So the website that promotes the program you are talking about also promotes two other programs, the first one is definitely a scam.

The program you recommend is last on the list. Anyone visiting this site should avoid the first one.

DS

Moves
02 Feb 07

Originally posted by arrakis
Here's how that website works. If a person goes to that site and clicks on the upper left corner which says:

Fix Remove spyware.exe
Download a Free Scan Tool & Fix
Remove spyware.exe Instantly!

Then the scam program loads. You run it and it says you have 750 errors, but only the registered version will correct them. So the website that promotes the p ...[text shortened]... rogram you recommend is last on the list. Anyone visiting this site should avoid the first one.
I can see the Google Advert that you mean now if I look at the link in IE - it is not in view with Firefox so I didn't even know the advert was there. But that is exactly the sort of thing that the Smitfraud program removes.
Theres an even easier one called Rogue Fix that only takes a few minutes to clean these programs off your computer.

http://www.internetinspiration.co.uk/roguefix.htm