nature

nature

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
14 Apr 17

There is reality, and there is our understanding of it.

The gods thing is kind of stupid. We need to grow up, if we are important.

Moves
14 Apr 17

Originally posted by apathist

Stay off the drugs.

Über-Nerd

Moves
15 Apr 17

Two things puzzle me about your post. Your choice of forum, and which people you thought you'd be goading. Every monotheist could, should, and almost certainly would agree with your contention that belief in gods stems from a time when mankind was in a spiritually unredeemed or childish state.

Moves
15 Apr 17

Originally posted by moonbus
Two things puzzle me about your post. Your choice of forum, and which people you thought you'd be goading. Every monotheist could, should, and almost certainly would agree with your contention that belief in gods stems from a time when mankind was in a spiritually unredeemed or childish state.
I believe by 'gods' he was referring to the idea of God and his manifestations across the various religions, rather than a direct discombobulation of polytheism. In this vain he was conjecturing, I suspect, that even a monotheistic deity was restricting the development of an adult mind.

Pass the pickled eggs.

b

Moves
15 Apr 17

There's natural and unnatural and supernatural. Everything that is is natural. Things that abhor us we call unnatural, but that is, in reality, harsh and disgusting or repellent. Pick your own word. Anything mystical, magical and absent of evidence is supernatural. God and gods fall into that category.

This belongs in that other forum.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
16 Apr 17

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
I believe by 'gods' he was referring to the idea of God and his manifestations across the various religions, rather than a direct discombobulation of polytheism. In this vain he was conjecturing, I suspect, that even a monotheistic deity was restricting the development of an adult mind.

Pass the pickled eggs.
Deviled eggs are for Easter.

Not pickled... ewww, just say no.

rc

Moves
16 Apr 17

I heard this idea before that those who profess believe in a deity are childish. Maybe its true, I dunno, but so what if it is,

Moves
16 Apr 17

Originally posted by Suzianne

An unpickled egg is a crime against humanity.

Über-Nerd

Moves
17 Apr 17

Choco-eggs, anyone?

Jack Torrance

Overlook Hotel

Moves
17 Apr 17

Religious wars are people killing each other over who has the best imaginary friend.

anon.

L

Moves
17 Apr 17
1 edit

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke

Pass the pickled eggs.
A seriously lovely piece of intellectual prose there, GoaD. It would not be out of place in 'Pseud's Corner' - can I forward it? 😉

Moves
17 Apr 17

Originally posted by Larkie
A seriously lovely piece of intellectual prose there, GoaD. It would not be out of place in 'Pseud's Corner' - can I forward it? 😉
Be my guest. (Though I do tend to overuse the word discombobulation).

Über-Nerd

Moves
17 Apr 17

Originally posted by The Gravedigger
Religious wars are people killing each other over who has the best imaginary friend.

anon.
If it were only about imaginary friends, I could turn a blind eye to it; to each his own. Oh, but it gets so much sillier, and yet at the same time more earnest, than that! Some people will kill you for putting a slosh of rum in your eggnog, or for going about in public with so much as an eyebrow uncovered, or for educating your daughters. Sheesh.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
17 Apr 17

Originally posted by moonbus
If it were only about imaginary friends, I could turn a blind eye to it; to each his own. Oh, but it gets so much sillier, and yet at the same time more earnest, than that! Some people will kill you for putting a slosh of rum in your eggnog, or for going about in public with so much as an eyebrow uncovered, or for educating your daughters. Sheesh.
News flash: The people who would do such things aren't really the best representatives of their religion. They're just really not clear on the concept.

Just sayin'.

Über-Nerd

Moves
17 Apr 17
1 edit

News flash: The people who would do such things aren't really the best representatives of their religion. They're just really not clear on the concept.

Just sayin'.
They're altogether too clear about the wrong things! It seems to me that certain personality types are drawn to extreme forms of religion, or extreme political parties, which advocate quick fixes and propose to rid the world of its problems by immediate and convulsive activism. As someone once said, a young man wants to die heroically for a cause, whereas an old man wants to live humbly for one. I wish all angry young men in a hurry to live to a ripe old age.