1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Jan '16 11:59
    I think £66,000,000 jackpots are a kind of publicity-on-PCP perversity. Differently set up, two hundred families could have had a £300,000 windfall ~ what fun that would be, and spread around too, hundreds of delightful stories in local newspapers ~ much more fun and positivity than this surreal, vicarious orgy of salivating credulousness and envious somnambulation.
  2. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    14 Jan '16 12:16
    The Problem with People becoming rich by Lotto is that most end up poor, due to unwise decisions.

But then the expected return per ticket is about 45% in Germany, so is it wise to Play in the first place?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Jan '16 12:25
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    But then the expected return per ticket is about 45% in Germany, so is it wise to Play in the first place?
    Perhaps it is one of the more fun kinds of 'tax' to pay and voluntary to boot.
  4. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    14 Jan '16 12:40
    Originally posted by FMF
    I think £66,000,000 jackpots are a kind of publicity-on-PCP perversity. Differently set up, two hundred families could have had a £300,000 windfall ~ what fun that would be, and spread around too, hundreds of delightful stories in local newspapers ~ much more fun and positivity than this surreal, vicarious orgy of salivating credulousness and envious somnambulation.
    The big jackpots bring in big money for the lottery companies.
    Few people would bother to buy a ticket if the jackpot was £300k.
  5. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    14 Jan '16 19:38
    Originally posted by Captain Strange
    The big jackpots bring in big money for the lottery companies.
    Few people would bother to buy a ticket if the jackpot was £300k.
    I remember when, here in Ontario, they started a lottery (Wintario) with a grand prize of $100,000,00 and they said that if invested you could live off the interest quite nicely.
    I think it was started in the mid 1970s.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Jan '16 19:46
    Originally posted by FMF
    I was thinking something similar yesterday while watching all the froth on TV. I thought that 66 millionaires would be an excellent sweet-spot between keeping the prize big enough and still have lots of winners.
  7. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    16 Jan '16 10:58
    problem here is of course the thought of people that being rich is well being richer is better and being the richest is best.

However cliché that may be, but money does not make happy. And most people can't really cope with riches. How many of the lottery winners did invest their money wisely?
  8. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    16 Jan '16 11:03

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    16 Jan '16 11:12
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I don't need a lot of money, just enough to do what I want and to be able to give away some when needed. We can also ask ourselves: are we or would we be happier without it?
  10. Joined
    29 Nov '15
    Moves
    16 Jan '16 11:27
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    not sure it will make anyone happier, but it will remove all financial stress from life, give you much more choices.
    if you don't want that pressure then don't buy a ticket.
    a close friend of mine his brother won 4.8 million about ten years ago.the brother decided to keep 4 million and give away £800 000 to family and friends. his bother,my friend, was promised £300 000
    the usual plans pay off house, buy new car, expensive holiday.as the weeks passed no money came, eventually his brother acting on financial advice, "invested" the £800 000, long term he would give him the money in 15 years or so.
    he has never spoke to him since, nor has any of his family. it was not the not giving it was the broken promise.
    if you win keep quiet, or send some to me please
  11. Standard memberyo its meonline
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    17 Jan '16 08:24
    Originally posted by GHOST HUNTER
    not sure it will make anyone happier, but it will remove all financial stress from life, give you much more choices.
    if you don't want that pressure then don't buy a ticket.
    a close friend of mine his brother won 4.8 million about ten years ago.the brother decided to keep 4 million and give away £800 000 to family and friends. his bother,my friend, wa ...[text shortened]... not the not giving it was the broken promise.
    if you win keep quiet, or send some to me please
    That's a miserable outcome: the brother became a miser.
    Sounds like money was still a cause of stress.
    I don't have the time or energy to play the lottery. Those who do: good luck to you, and if you win, its yours: welldone, I don't want it.
  12. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    18 Jan '16 14:28
    I just read a statistic that said that there are 62 people who have the same wealth as 3,500,000,000 of the world's poorest people...something like 8 trillion dollars. Now is that obscene or what?
  13. Standard memberyo its meonline
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    18 Jan '16 17:26
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    I just read a statistic that said that there are 62 people who have the same wealth as 3,500,000,000 of the world's poorest people...something like 8 trillion dollars. Now is that obscene or what?
    I've read that report too. Absolutely bonkers, completely agree.
    There's another one, I don't remember it, but basically showing 1st world residents that they're very rich in comparison to the rest of the world: running water, bedrooms, private toilet, more than one outfit etc.
  14. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    19 Jan '16 09:16
    Originally posted by yo its me
    I've read that report too. Absolutely bonkers, completely agree.
    There's another one, I don't remember it, but basically showing 1st world residents that they're very rich in comparison to the rest of the world: running water, bedrooms, private toilet, more than one outfit etc.
    So being rich is a question of perspective. I assume that there is a perception of a wider gap between the lower half of erath's Population than the other half...

And yes it is obscene the amount of Money amssaed by some individuals on the cost of the General populace and the poor People. This I thought years ago when it became known that Air Jordan made more Money from his Nike contract than all workers in Malaysia combined...
  15. Standard memberyo its meonline
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    20 Jan '16 05:27
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Air Jordan made more Money from his Nike contract than all workers in Malaysia combined...
    I didn't know that, its believably obseen. It's a crazy world in the worst way. On one hand money is just numbers banks make its value meaningless when they loose it and lend it, and on the other its life and death and what most people dispense all energy in search of.
    It must have been a fairer system the barter system that predates monatary.
    We're so dependant on this system that I don't know if we can ever come out of it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree