1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Feb '21 07:45
    There is a lot of every day controversy in here about the volume and topic relevance of certain poster(s). I can see why some people get upset and I agree that volume of posts can be as disruptive as single nasty posts, perhaps more so, perhaps obviously so.

I stand vehemently against curtailing free speech in these forums, except in obvious cases of racism, hate speech etc. But I have an idea to float in here rather than site idea at this point.

The idea is this; suppose the moderator had an alternate disciplinary tool at their disposal, one where they could limit the amount of public forum posts a person could make in a day ... to say 10 for example.

This would have the effect of making the poster think more carefully about what and when they post but without silencing them completely. So educational, therapeutic, rehabilitative.

Thoughts?
  2. Joined
    27 Jan '21
    Moves
    05 Feb '21 10:04
    Some discussions need quick responses and a limit of 10 could be spent very quickly and then you would have to wait 24 hours to rejoin the conversation.

A better method is...

"The moderator has blocked you from this thread due to irrelevant posts"

That would require a mod to read all of the threads which would be a pain and probably not doable.

But limiting people to a certain amount of posts per day would destroy good discussions.
  3. Joined
    27 Jan '21
    Moves
    05 Feb '21 10:07
    Now with your idea it could work like this...

100 a month.
    Then you have plenty of posts for good discussion but the thread spammers would run out quick.
  4. Joined
    27 Jan '21
    Moves
    05 Feb '21 10:13
    Considering the amount of regular posters is about 50 or less people I think any extra moderation could hurt the site.

Other sites have dead forums.
    This site has the best forums.
    Don't try to change a good thing.

Just have the moderator tell rusty and lemon to shut up 😏
  5. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    05 Feb '21 10:14
    It has its drawbacks.
    On days where you have 3 or 4 active threads, it is not enough, but if it is a slow day,
    a poster would still be able to make 10 posts and for the sake of using the quota, they *will*.

not sure this is a good idea.
  6. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    05 Feb '21 10:17
    I would like to see posters limited by the quality of posts, and I can see no way that can be readily done.,
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Feb '21 10:22
    @divegeester said
    There is a lot of every day controversy in here about the volume and topic relevance of certain poster(s). I can see why some people get upset and I agree that volume of posts can be as disruptive as single nasty posts, perhaps more so, perhaps obviously so.

I stand vehemently against curtailing free speech in these forums, except in obvious cases of racism, hate spee ...[text shortened]... ost but without silencing them completely. So educational, therapeutic, rehabilitative.

Thoughts?
    Dear me, several thumbs down already. Terrible upsetting.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Feb '21 10:251 edit
    @earl-of-trumps said
    I would like to see posters limited by the quality of posts, and I can see no way that can be readily done.,
    I see that as being intellectual discrimination, and a version of speech restriction. I couldn’t care less what version of retarded bollox people want to post I defend their right to do so. However what I’m proposing here is a temporary discipline to stop posters spamming up threads.

I think it’s a good idea.
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    05 Feb '21 11:21
    @gratis-pawn said
    Considering the amount of regular posters is about 50 or less people I think any extra moderation could hurt the site.

Other sites have dead forums.
    This site has the best forums.
    Don't try to change a good thing.

Just have the moderator tell rusty and lemon to shut up 😏
    What are you talking about we make the forums lively....Look at how long the tavern thread has went on that Lemon started. Perhaps you have to think a little more on this subject, or you will just wind up with another what you consider dead Forum Site.

-VR
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    05 Feb '21 11:221 edit
    @earl-of-trumps said
    It has its drawbacks.
    On days where you have 3 or 4 active threads, it is not enough, but if it is a slow day,
    a poster would still be able to make 10 posts and for the sake of using the quota, they *will*.

So what your saying is restrict how many times a poster can post?

What would be next how many times a poster can thumb a post up or down?...LOL..

Soon you will have very few posting, even less than you have now!

-VR
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    05 Feb '21 11:39
    @gratis-pawn said
    Some discussions need quick responses and a limit of 10 could be spent very quickly and then you would have to wait 24 hours to rejoin the conversation.

A better method is...

"The moderator has blocked you from this thread due to irrelevant posts"

That would require a mod to read all of the threads which would be a pain and probably not doable.

But limiting people to a certain amount of posts per day would destroy good discussions.
    I sincerely believe doing this would see less people posting in the threads. You would be down to a very small group of people, yes even less than there are now. I've seen it happen on other sites. Proves it does not work!

-VR
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    05 Feb '21 11:44
    @earl-of-trumps said
    It has its drawbacks.

Have you considered Paying Subscribers who may not Subscribe anymore because they are limited to amount of posts they can make?....One has to look at all angles of this in my humble opinion, which I never mind sharing. 🙂

-VR
  13. Joined
    27 Jan '21
    Moves
    05 Feb '21 12:02
    Sensitive topic for you Rusty? 😉
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    05 Feb '21 12:59
    @gratis-pawn said
    Sensitive topic for you Rusty? 😉
    Standard memberGratis PawnView Profile
    Joined27 Jan '21

Your time on the site and already giving suggestions?

Are you an old poster with grievance or a new one, who thinks they know how to improve the forums?

-VR
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Feb '21 02:28
    @earl-of-trumps said
    Oh, the irony.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree