1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Apr '24 22:33
    @very-rusty said
    nem·e·sis
    /ˈnemΙ™sΙ™s/
    noun
    the inescapable agent of someone's or something's downfall.
    πŸ™‚
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Apr '24 22:441 edit
    E = mc2

Can (I think ) be solved for m by: m = E/c2

The inference being that energy and mass are reversible such that mass can be converted into energy (as in a nuclear bomb), but energy can also be converted into mass, as in creation.

Something to think about.
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    03 Apr '24 23:171 edit
    @divegeester said
    E = mc2

Can (I think ) be solved for m by: m = E/c2

The inference being that energy and mass are reversible such that mass can be converted into energy (as in a nuclear bomb), but energy can also be converted into mass, as in creation.

Something to think about.
    Feynmann said, if not for the unfortunate choice of the second as the unit of time, that the equation is just:

e = m

Energy equals mass.
  4. hirsute rooster
    Moves
    04 Apr '24 00:17
    @bigdogg said
    Feynmann said, if not for the unfortunate choice of the second as the unit of time, that the equation is just:

e = m

Energy equals mass.
    If that were true then I'd have a lot more energy.
    πŸ™
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    04 Apr '24 02:30
    @orangutan said
    If that were true then I'd have a lot more energy.
    πŸ™
    You've got plenty of energy! It's just that none of it is kinetic. πŸ€“πŸ˜‚
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Apr '24 07:06
    @divegeester said
    You’re upset about something, I can see that.
    very.
  7. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    04 Apr '24 07:38
    @bigdogg said

e = m

Energy equals mass.
    Though Feynman was a brilliant physicist and a Nobel laureate and I am neither:

kinetic energy is mass times velocity squared. So you can't leave out the velocity in the equation otherwise you compare apples to oranges.

Of course in our Mass there is also some chemical energy, but this depends on the type of matter....so our big bellies help, but carrying around a big lump of quartz won't.
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    04 Apr '24 08:28
    @david-burton said
    so let me get this right if you are driving your car at the speed of light and you turn your headlight on ......nothing happens ?
    You can turn them on all right, but they won’t illuminate anything ahead of you that you haven’t already overtaken anyway.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Apr '24 08:31
    @david-burton said
    very.
    YouTube

Some prog-pop for you.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Apr '24 08:341 edit
    @moonbus said
    You can turn them on all right, but they won’t illuminate anything ahead of you that you haven’t already overtaken anyway.
    You are in the black void of deep space going backwards in your car of the imagination at the speed of light and being followed by another car 100 feet away travelling at the same speed. You turn your headlights on; would you see the other car?
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    04 Apr '24 09:351 edit
    @divegeester said
    You are in the black void of deep space going backwards in your car of the imagination at the speed of light and being followed by another car 100 feet away travelling at the same speed. You turn your headlights on; would you see the other car?
    It is all in your Gooster, Gooster! πŸ˜› πŸ™‚]

-VR
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Apr '24 09:371 edit
    @divegeester said
    [youtube]L0MK7qz13bU[/youtube]

Some prog-pop for you.
    sums you right up.flakey as
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Apr '24 09:45
    @very-rusty said
    OH don't mention it you're quite welcome, God know you need a prayer or more. πŸ™‚

-VR
    Yeah a personality transplant.
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    04 Apr '24 09:46
    @david-burton said
    Yeah a personality transplant.
    I concur and the sooner the better. πŸ™‚

-VR
  15. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    04 Apr '24 11:351 edit
    @divegeester said
    No. And it would not matter if the void were full of light and you did or did not turn on your headlights. You would not see it. Nothing, no photon or other form of information, from the car 100 feet away could catch up to you and impact on your sense organs. Neither could you receive a radio message transmitted from the other car.

There is an elementary Denkfehler in thinking that by turning on your headlights you see anything. You do not. What you see at terrestrial-speeds is not your headlight beams going out--what you see is your headlight beams reflected back to you from some object (fog or another car or a frightened deer in your path or whatever). It should be evident that two vehicles travelling in the same direction at c cannot send and receive back a reflection from the other vehicle travelling at the same speed.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree