I hate change ...

I hate change ...

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
01 May 13

Sorted

Moves
01 May 13

I tend to play all day one one screen or another, but most often on the ipad or iphone. Playing on the iPad and iPhone it does fill the screen nicely, and I'm getting used to the interface. Everything is there but with lots more flexibility. Great choice of piece style, though I agree with those who would like one of the style options to be as close to the old interface as possible.

I'm getting used to dragging and dropping the pieces instead of clicking on them...is it such a big deal?

Come on, people, once you get used to the newness, there's nothing to make all this fuss about! Give it a few days, at least, before condemning it out of hand!

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
01 May 13

Originally posted by Ruprecht

Sorted
"Joined: 13 Aug '03" Certainly have been here long enough to know. We Salute You and Your Loyalty!

k

Moves
01 May 13

I like the change - the site is much faster now and I already got used to the new looks.

I also checked it on Android 2.2 phone - there seem to be no glitches, but I think the developers will need to upgrade the native app if they want people playing on smartphones with small screens.

Moves
01 May 13

Originally posted by kes29

I also checked it on Android 2.2 phone - there seem to be no glitches, but I think the developers will need to upgrade the native app if they want people playing on smartphones with small screens.
It works really well on the iPhone, better than before. I'm getting to like it on the whole, and we're only two days in. 🙂

In your face

Moves
01 May 13

I use the site on my Nokia C3-00 and haven't really noticed any difference in performance or functionality on it. It feels very much like the old site but with a different appearance.

Moves
01 May 13

Originally posted by Kewpie
This is the place to come if you want to grumble about the new user interface.

{Not for serious reporting of actual difficulties though}

When I first started using the new interface (beta version) two months ago, I had some serious complaints. Now, all the ones that really mattered have been fixed, and all I have left is a small grumble about sorting by time remaining, which isn't good. Still, it's hardly a game-changer ...

Anyone else?
I've always liked the "Time for Chess" color scheme (greenish/creamish) more than the Red Hot Pawn scheme, and more so now because the greenish games waiting background, and presumably greenish messages unread background for my rare incoming messages, goes with the TfC scheme. The TfC scheme calms me.

Moves
01 May 13

Exactly that. The old site but with improvements. I keep noticing little new things that together make a big plus. The knight showing number of games waiting for me to move: the little graphic toolbar at the top: the green and orange: the new messaging interface. Many good things. It just takes getting used to.

Moves
01 May 13

I like to print the board and study offline--where did they hide the print position button?

Any suggestions??

In your face

Moves
01 May 13

Originally posted by Lee Gibson
I like to print the board and study offline--where did they hide the print position button?

Any suggestions??
In Chrome can't you just right click and 'print'. In Firefox, hit the orange tab in the top left and 'print'.

d
His Mateship

Glowing in the dark

Moves
01 May 13

Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage
I do know that Mr Andy. I was just trying to be a flamerrrrr. PLease stop flaming my flames. 😲
Well said. I had a couple of issues with the new site, then I suspended my stupidity for long enough to play around looking for solutions rather than complaining. The solutions were there....I just needed to find them.

SS

Toronto, Canada

Moves
01 May 13

Pardon me, but *none* of my opponents knew about this. We all thought something was wrong with our respective machines. I spent a half-an hour thinking it was a display problem (using Linux, one gets surprises on sites catering to the Windozers).

Not one person I've discussed this with likes it. I have noticed a softening of some sort on the actual piece display, or it's an accommodation on the part of my retinal sensing, but the colours are like a bad acid trip, a complete distraction to what one wants in Chess: Clean, simple display, two colours/shades.

Ever been to someone's place and been challenged to a game, and then they bring out the most ridiculous looking pieces on an abstract board?

I pass....I'm still struggling with the new display here. To paraphrase more than a few posters: "If it ain't broke....". OK, so you wish to appeal to the tablet vanities. The offer them an optional new format.

Moves
01 May 13

Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage
In Chrome can't you just right click and 'print'. In Firefox, hit the orange tab in the top left and 'print'.
Firefox prints all BUT the board--will check and see what MS will give me

In your face

Moves
01 May 13

Originally posted by Lee Gibson
Firefox prints all BUT the board--will check and see what MS will give me
Chrome shows the board in print preview but I'm not sure if it prints it out or not as I have no paper left. Good luck. Only problem there might be is that it prints the full screen rather than just the board. I'm not sure if this would appeal to you or not.

SS

Toronto, Canada

Moves
01 May 13

Originally posted by Startreader
I tend to play all day one one screen or another, but most often on the ipad or iphone. Playing on the iPad and iPhone it does fill the screen nicely, and I'm getting used to the interface. Everything is there but with lots more flexibility. Great choice of piece style, though I agree with those who would like one of the style options to be as close to t ...[text shortened]... to make all this fuss about! Give it a few days, at least, before condemning it out of hand!
Try that at a tournament with real pieces, and see how far the logic carries you.

Some of us actually play with real chess sets, and *ostensibly* one tries to emulate that on a device that renders the game as a facsimile.

Obviously you don't play on a desktop or laptop. Next, you'll be expecting paintings to be reformatted so you can view them on your tablet/handheld.

I have absolutely nothing against either change (I design equipment that is very innovative, I'm a tech) or handhelds, but I don't bring out a new design for a new application that renders my previous ones moot in functionality or ease of use.

If cars were designed by software geeks, there would be a hell of a lot less vehicles on the road....