How Many People Still Pray?

How Many People Still Pray?

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z

Moves
21 May 13

In Johnny's well-meaning thread, he offered his prayers to people who have suffered through tragedy. While this is all well and nice, do people actually still pray? I have a hard time imagining that anyone other than the most devout fundamentalist actually "say their prayers" anymore. Am I wrong?

To me, it's more appropriate to offer condolences and say "your thoughts are with" so and so or something similar. it's a nice gesture and all to offer your prayers but what has prayer ever done for anyone ever?

Your opinion? Or perhaps you have a story on the positive effect of prayer that I can defecate on?

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
21 May 13

Originally posted by Zamboner
In Johnny's well-meaning thread, he offered his prayers to people who have suffered through tragedy. While this is all well and nice, do people actually still pray? I have a hard time imagining that anyone other than the most devout fundamentalist actually "say their prayers" anymore. Am I wrong?

To me, it's more appropriate to offer condolences and s ...[text shortened]... on? Or perhaps you have a story on the positive effect of prayer that I can defecate on?
Take it to science spanky... that's right. you heard me.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
21 May 13

To me, it's more appropriate to offer condolences and s ...[text shortened]... on? Or perhaps you have a story on the positive effect of prayer that I can defecate on?
I pray often, several times a day. I try and keep a prayerful attitude at all times, except when I am drinking, smoking, cussing or galavanting. 😕

Z

Moves
21 May 13
1 edit

If God is real and has a tangible effect in people's lives, wouldn't prayers to him to help those affected by large scale tragedies be too little too late?

"Dear God, it's me Margaret. I know you didn't see it fit in your ultimate wisdom and power to prevent the deaths of these people but it would be a huge favour to me if you made yourself known now to jump in and do something afterwards. Cheers."

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
21 May 13

If God is real and has a tangible effect in people's lives, wouldn't prayers to him to help those affected by large scale tragedies be too little too late?

"Dear God, it's me Margaret. I know you didn't see it fit in your ultimate wisdom and power to prevent the deaths of these people but it would be a huge favour to me if you made yourself known now to jump in and do something afterwards. Cheers."
So you haven't seen Bruce Almighty then.

Z

Moves
21 May 13

Originally posted by divegeester
So you haven't seen Bruce Almighty then.
No, I can't say I have.

Do you say your prayers, divegeester?

j

Dublin Ireland

Moves
21 May 13

No, I can't say I have.

I pray in private.

I don't go to church because it is full of a$$holes.
Then you have the clergy, they are just as bad
if not worse.

You don't need any organized religion to pray.

Z

Moves
21 May 13
1 edit

Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
I pray in private.

I don't go to church because it is full of a$$holes.
Then you have the clergy, they are just as bad
if not worse.

You don't need any organized religion to pray.
Do you have any experiences on the positive effect of prayer or is it just something you've grown up doing? How often do you pray?

Forgive my curiosity.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
21 May 13

No, I can't say I have.

Well you should as it will explain to you the very difficult job god has in answering all his emails.

I don't pray much, but I do if I need something.

l

Moves
21 May 13

Originally posted by divegeester
Well you should as it will explain to you the very difficult job god has in answering all his emails.

I don't pray much, but I do if I need something.
I don't normally pray but I do when I'm in deep dispair.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
21 May 13

Originally posted by lolof
I don't normally pray but I do when I'm in deep dispair.
I don't pray much but not because I don't believe in god, more that I'm self centred and lazy.

Read a book!

Moves
21 May 13

I'll pray for you, Zambo, if it isn't too late.

j

Dublin Ireland

Moves
21 May 13

Originally posted by HandyAndy
I'll pray for you, Zambo, if it isn't too late.
Hurry Andy, that great big pale horse is galloping.

j

Dublin Ireland

Moves
21 May 13

Do you have any experiences on the positive effect of prayer or is it just something you've grown up doing? How often do you pray?

Forgive my curiosity.
Yes I pray often.

In private at night when I am alone.

Have I seen any positive effects? I honestly could not tell you.

Sometimes the best results come from prayers which are not answered.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
21 May 13

One incredible conversation in the least expected place on the site!
I'm astonished by the honesty, candor and absence of pettiness.