Grand Master Zhansaya

Grand Master Zhansaya

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

asromacalcio

Almaty, Kazakhstan

Moves
08 Jan 15

Going to interview Zhansaya Abdumalik soon, don't want it to be too boring, please can people give me ideas for chess related questions, rather than just things about her, which I have already got more than enough of.

Thanks

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
08 Jan 15

Originally posted by asromacalcio
Going to interview Zhansaya Abdumalik soon, don't want it to be too boring, please can people give me ideas for chess related questions, rather than just things about her, which I have already got more than enough of.

Thanks
Ask her what she thinks about before she starts, what she does in the middle, and how she enjoys what she does as she comes to the ending. 🙄

-m.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
08 Jan 15
1 edit

Originally posted by asromacalcio

Thanks
Is she a 'woman' gm or 'men' gm? I think the difference is women can get the gm rating with the playing skill of IM, something like that.

I would ask her if she ever plays gambits, Kings Gambit, Scandanavian, Benko Gambit, and the like.

Ah, her present rating is 2369, with title of woman's GM. She is #92 on the top 100 ratings for women. For comparison, the top two are Judit Polgar at 2675 and #2 Hou, Yifan, at 2673. Judit has been as high as #14 on the overall list at her peak, her rating was around 2740. She beat a lot of men players including Kasparov.

Isolated Pawn

Wisconsin USA

Moves
08 Jan 15

What is her favorite variant?

Ãœber-Nerd

Moves
08 Jan 15

Wow, GM at age 14!

Ask her how she's doing in school. Does she do just the regular curriculum same as other 14 yr olds, or does she have special classes/teachers?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
08 Jan 15
2 edits

Ask her if men treat her differently when they hear she is a GM. Some men may feel threatened by an intelligent woman.

In general, ask if men support her GM status or if they try to knock it down with comments like, "Well, it's just a women's GM title."

EDIT: Never mind. I didn't realize she was only 14. That is impressive, though.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
08 Jan 15
1 edit

Originally posted by Suzianne
Ask her if men treat her differently when they hear she is a GM. Some men may feel threatened by an intelligent woman.

In general, ask if men support her GM status or if they try to knock it down with comments like, "Well, it's just a women's GM title."

EDIT: Never mind. I didn't realize she was only 14. That is impressive, though.
What country is she from? It's impressive for ANY kid ANYWHERE to have a mid 2300 rating at the age of 14! Girl's world champ under 12! A real prodigy.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
08 Jan 15

Originally posted by sonhouse
What country is she from? It's impressive for ANY kid ANYWHERE to have a mid 2300 rating at the age of 14! Girl's world champ under 12! A real prodigy.
She is from Kazakhstan.

Wikipedia says she and Karpov played a four game match last January, 2 rapid games and 2 blitz. Karpov won both rapid games, while she won one blitz game and the second was drawn.

It also says she is a Girls' World U8 Champion of 2008 and World U12 Champion of 2011. She is currently the top ranked U14 girl in the world and the 2nd top ranked player in the U14 division in the world.

Yes, a real prodigy indeed. She may eventually outshine even Judit Polgar.

asromacalcio

Almaty, Kazakhstan

Moves
12 Jan 15

Thanks, all. She's 15 today. The interview SHOULD be in British Chess Magazine sometime, alternatively, the non-chess tactics related version will be at www.mydestination.com/kazakhstan sometime this month.

asromacalcio

Almaty, Kazakhstan

Moves
12 Jan 15

Originally posted by Suzianne
She is from Kazakhstan.

Wikipedia says she and Karpov played a four game match last January, 2 rapid games and 2 blitz. Karpov won both rapid games, while she won one blitz game and the second was drawn.

It also says she is a Girls' World U8 Champion of 2008 and World U12 Champion of 2011. She is currently the top ranked U14 girl in the world and t ...[text shortened]... n in the world.

Yes, a real prodigy indeed. She may eventually outshine even Judit Polgar.
She is cool, no doubt. The victory over Karpov was national headline news, we are all very proud of her.