George Michael dies at 52

George Michael dies at 52

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
26 Dec 16
1 edit

Originally posted by Larkie
In retrospect, yes, that was wrong of me. I should have started another thread on the matter.
Cheers.
It's a pity to see him go and at my spring chicken age too! Although his music was never the soundtrack of my choosing for my life in the 80s, it's undeniably evocative when I listen to it and it reminds me of certain friends in particular. I am happy to be spared the tabloid post mortem on account of where I live.

c

Moves
26 Dec 16

Originally posted by FMF
It's a pity to him go. Although his music was never the soundtrack of my choosing for my life in the 80s, it's undeniably evocative when I listen to it and it reminds me of certain friends in particular. I am happy to be spared the tabloid post mortem on account of where I live.
Don't you live in Indonesia?

Same as jecidi?

F

Moves
26 Dec 16

Originally posted by chaney3
Don't you live in Indonesia?

Same as jecidi?
Yes, so I don't watch UK television and don't read UK tabloids, but I know where Larkie is coming from when he talks of bracing himself for the grotty, prurient onslaught.

L

Moves
26 Dec 16
1 edit

- And me in Brunei!
Lots of George Michael tracks played today on the local BFBS station, some good songs...I didn't bother with that genre much in the 80's either, but good quality stuff though.
Yep, no Sun/Mirror/Mail/Express here either. Just the Borneo Bulletin. What a blessing.

since 1-Feb-07

Australia

Moves
26 Dec 16

If this thread had been posted in the Culture Forum, it might not have been hijacked to make a point about media choices. That's why the Culture Forum exists, after all.

F

Moves
26 Dec 16

Originally posted by Kewpie
If this thread had been posted in the Culture Forum, it might not have been hijacked to make a point about media choices. That's why the Culture Forum exists, after all.
Larkie and I hatched out a truce; we set our hobby horses upon each other, and of they galloped, which allowed us a moment to mourn ~ together ~ the passing of a great artist. 🙂

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
26 Dec 16

The events in the Black Sea are an EXAMPLE of a big news item that has been disproportionately overshadowed by the over-reporting of the unfortunate death of a major celebrity.
You chose to contribute to a thread about George Michael's death
rather than start a thread about the Black Sea disaster.

So are you not part of the problem? (as am I)

Stories about individuals are and always have been
more interesting than stories about multitudes.

L

Moves
26 Dec 16

Originally posted by wolfgang59
You chose to contribute to a thread about George Michael's death
rather than start a thread about the Black Sea disaster.

So are you not part of the problem? (as am I)

Stories about individuals are and always have been
more interesting than stories about multitudes.
Yes, so it seems.
Doesn't seem right, does it?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
26 Dec 16

Really FMF.
Do I have to spell it out to you?
The events in the Black Sea are an EXAMPLE of a big news item that has been disproportionately overshadowed by the over-reporting of the unfortunate death of a major celebrity.
Would you like me to explain in more simplistic terms for you?
It wont be the first time and it sadly wont be the last time.

The level of coverage would be because of a) it was unexpected and b) the timing - especially linked to a song that most think of when you think of George Michael

p

Moves
26 Dec 16

Originally posted by vivify
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2016/12/25/british-singer-george-michael-has-died/95842954/

George Michael, the British singer, musician and founding member of Wham!, died over the Christmas holiday, his publicist confirms to USA TODAY. He was 53.
Are you sure ,or is it a" careless whisper "?
If it is it will be his " last Christmas ".

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
26 Dec 16

Tempting to say 'one less chav' but Giorgios was a Greek, hence a decent chap.

p

Moves
26 Dec 16

Originally posted by Seitse
Tempting to say 'one less chav' but Giorgios was a Greek, hence a decent chap.
Boring 😴😴 Wake me up before you go.go

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
26 Dec 16

Originally posted by phil3000
Wake me up before you go.go
Oh, yes. Puns. The highest form of English wit.

Moves
26 Dec 16
1 edit

The organ crescendo (if that's the proper term) is a proper start to his album Faith. It pulls out all the stops, as he did.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
26 Dec 16

Originally posted by Seitse
Oh, yes. Puns. The highest form of English wit.
Not up to your cutting edge humour boy?
Sadly your self-opinion that you are a great wit is only half correct.