1. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    02 Aug '21 07:39
    @anitya said
    I kept reading this post today. Fascinating. Actually may have changed my understanding of the General Forum and it's on-line family.

I am here to play chess. Full stop.

Or am I? Now I am not so sure.
    Chess and witty repartee are both indicators of an acute mind, are they not ? Why sacrifice one to the other ?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Aug '21 11:56
    @great-big-stees said
    I am old but, don’t need an upgrade.πŸ˜‰
    these smart phones are a pain, all I want out of a cell phone is to talk and text the rest is wasted on me.
  3. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    02 Aug '21 12:00
    @badradger said
    these smart phones are a pain, all I want out of a cell phone is to talk and text the rest is wasted on me.
    That’s why I have a flip phone. Make & receive calls...make and receive texts...oh and take poor quality photos.πŸ‘
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Aug '21 12:02
    @great-big-stees said
    That’s why I have a flip phone. Make & receive calls...make and receive texts...oh and take poor quality photos.πŸ‘
    I have a proper camera for the photos, I dont have apps (especialy the covid tracker)
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    02 Aug '21 13:36
    @badradger said
    I had a Nokia 6310i which did that: monochrome screen, battery charge lasted 14 days, but the keyboard eventually crapped out and there's no repairing it. Too bad, it was a great phone/texter.
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    02 Aug '21 16:55
    @mchill said
    No Mr. Trev. - The almighty virus that which has put a stop to 98% of the OTB tournaments in my area.

It's somewhat difficult to play in an OTB tournament when there isn't one. πŸ™„
    I thought the states were more open now, no masks, public things open again? The US open golf was packed 🀷🏻‍♂️

Pubs are open again in the uk and Ireland, where there’s an open pub there’s otb chess.
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    02 Aug '21 17:081 edit
    @great-big-stees said
    I am old but, don’t need an upgrade.πŸ˜‰
    LOL....You're old flip phone, we weren't talking about you. πŸ™‚

-VR
  8. SubscriberWycombe Al
    greatest site
    or just a tribute
    Moves
    02 Aug '21 18:38
    i'm old enough to have had a flip phone but never had one, i didn't get a mobile until 2013, was difficult for the wife to get hold of me pre 2013 when on a pub crawl and also for work to get hold of me, the good old days
  9. Gothenburg
    Moves
    02 Aug '21 19:22
    @wycombe-al said
    i'm old enough to have had a flip phone but never had one, i didn't get a mobile until 2013, was difficult for the wife to get hold of me pre 2013 when on a pub crawl and also for work to get hold of me, the good old days
    I didn't have a mobile until I retired from work, and I waited quite a while before getting a home computer. I didn't want to feel glued to anything when I didn't have to. Eventually I needed both to keep in touch with friends.
  10. SubscriberWycombe Al
    greatest site
    or just a tribute
    Moves
    02 Aug '21 19:44
    @Torunn totally understand, i've never been one to embrace technology but at some point you have to give in to keep up with everyone else, i was a very late starter with Facebook and don't use anything other than that, though i do admit i did dabble with MySpace for those that remember that
  11. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    03 Aug '21 10:161 edit
    @trev33 said
    I thought the states were more open now, no masks, public things open again? The US open golf was packed 🀷🏻‍♂️

Pubs are open again in the uk and Ireland, where there’s an open pub there’s otb chess.

OTB chess tournaments in my area are usually in closed door environments, the few that are held require masks.
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    03 Aug '21 14:22
    @wycombe-al said
    @Torunn totally understand, i've never been one to embrace technology but at some point you have to give in to keep up with everyone else, i was a very late starter with Facebook and don't use anything other than that, though i do admit i did dabble with MySpace for those that remember that
    Yup, embrace the new technology or get left behind.

-VR
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    06 Aug '21 18:19
    @very-rusty said
    Yup, embrace the new technology or get left behind.

-VR
    Some new technologies you definitely shouldn't embrace.

The thermal friction chainsaw, for example.
  14. Joined
    08 Sep '20
    Moves
    06 Aug '21 22:33
    @very-rusty said
    LOL....You're old flip phone, we weren't talking about you. πŸ™‚

-VR
    What type of phone do you have?
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    07 Aug '21 16:28
    @mercury said
    What type of phone do you have?
    It begins with a "H". πŸ˜‰

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree