1. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    01 Aug '21 07:25
    @wycombe-al said
    how many of the regular posters in this forum would still be here if you had to have 15 or 20 games on the go to be able to post, seems a lot of people on this forum don't actually play much chess!
    I would cancel my sub and go elsewhere if a minimum number of concurrent running games were a requirement to be able to post at the forums.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Aug '21 07:27
    @moonbus said
    I would cancel my sub and go elsewhere if a minimum number of concurrent running games were a requirement to be able to post at the forums.
    I think I'd do the same.
  3. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    01 Aug '21 07:32
    @moonbus said
    I hope you don't, because you might be able to provide sensible guidance to @Russ in the next few years when more players might have gene-mods or chip-mods, or both.

After we start to spread out to the Moon, Mars, the Belt, and the outer system, I believe correspondence-style chess might still have its own proper place in the lifestyles of post-humanity.
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    01 Aug '21 08:21
    @kevin-eleven said
    I hope you don't, because you might be able to provide sensible guidance to @Russ in the next few years when more players might have gene-mods or chip-mods, or both.

After we start to spread out to the Moon, Mars, the Belt, and the outer system, I believe correspondence-style chess might still have its own proper place in the lifestyles of post-humanity.
    It's not far fetched. Elon Musk is already experimenting with brain-implants in monkeys. It won't be long before there are chips in human's brains, too. At first, to help spinal-injury patients, but later to 'enhance' people considered to be 'normal'.

"We are Borg. Resistance is futile."
  5. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    01 Aug '21 08:29
    @moonbus said
    It's not far fetched. Elon Musk is already experimenting with brain-implants in monkeys. It won't be long before there are chips in human's brains, too. At first, to help spinal-injury patients, but later to 'enhance' people considered to be 'normal'.

"We are Borg. Resistance is futile."
    I'm pretty sure we'll still have the option to subscribe to a variety of tabloid nonsense and conspiracy guff. πŸ˜‰
  6. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    01 Aug '21 09:04
    @fmf said
    I think I'd do the same.
    What's holding you back?
  7. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    01 Aug '21 11:03
    @huckleberryhound said
    I post from time to time, but i only play one game at a time these days...I don't work in front of a PC anymore.
    You can play on your phone πŸ˜‰
  8. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    01 Aug '21 11:06
    @trev33 said
    You can play on your phone πŸ˜‰
    Do you know how long it’d take me to type anything on my flip phone? That bit alone would be about an hour and a half.😑
  9. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    01 Aug '21 12:33
    @wycombe-al said
    how many of the regular posters in this forum would still be here if you had to have 15 or 20 games on the go to be able to post, seems a lot of people on this forum don't actually play much chess!
    You make a valid point.

I played my last rated game here about a year ago, then decided to concentrate on training for OTB chess which I had not done in over 20 years. I had no idea COVID 19 was going to throw my plans out the window for so long, now due to a number of (less than) intelligent folks who've decided to politicize this virus and not get vaccinated, it looks like it will be even longer, but - I'm trying to keep my posts down to 3-4 a week. πŸ™‚
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Aug '21 12:36
    @wycombe-al said
    back in the day when I was a paid up member I had over a hundred games on plus tournaments and still found time to post, I decided last year to ease back after a problem with my internet causing 30 ish of my games to be timed out, so now I play a little but spend more time on my real hobby horse racing.
  11. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    01 Aug '21 14:19
    @mchill said
    You make a valid point.

I played my last rated game here about a year ago, then decided to concentrate on training for OTB chess which I had not done in over 20 years. I had no idea COVID 19 was going to throw my plans out the window for so long, now due to a number of (less than) intelligent folks who've decided to politicize this virus and not get vaccinated, it looks like it will be even longer, but - I'm trying to keep my posts down to 3-4 a week. πŸ™‚
    Oh yes the almighty vaccine which doesn’t prevent you from getting or spreading the virus, that vaccine. Right.
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Aug '21 14:25
    @great-big-stees said
    Do you know how long it’d take me to type anything on my flip phone? That bit alone would be about an hour and a half.😑
    My old friend you really do need an upgrade!

-VR
  13. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    01 Aug '21 17:36
    @very-rusty said
    My old friend you really do need an upgrade!

-VR
    I am old but, don’t need an upgrade.πŸ˜‰
  14. Standard memberAnitya
    Shoshin
    under a fig tree
    Moves
    02 Aug '21 00:22
    @moonbus said
    I kept reading this post today. Fascinating. Actually may have changed my understanding of the General Forum and it's on-line family.

I am here to play chess. Full stop.

Or am I? Now I am not so sure.
  15. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    02 Aug '21 03:051 edit
    @trev33 said
    Oh yes the almighty vaccine which doesn’t prevent you from getting or spreading the virus, that vaccine. Right.
    No Mr. Trev. - The almighty virus that which has put a stop to 98% of the OTB tournaments in my area.

It's somewhat difficult to play in an OTB tournament when there isn't one. πŸ™„

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree