1. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    15 Apr '21 08:31
    I used to smoke but decided the risks weren't worth it when my crack dealer got shot.
  2. Joined
    14 Feb '09
    Moves
    15 Apr '21 08:44
    @the-gravedigger said
    I used to smoke but decided the risks weren't worth it when my crack dealer got shot.
    You said you wouldn't bring that up anymore!
    How was I to know that old lady had a gun?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Apr '21 08:53
    @divegeester said
    Continuing the overprotective stance through to a 30 year old adult (and probably beyond), would I imagine certainly exacerbate these negative traits and the adult might develop as being controlled but emotionally brittle, with tendencies toward anger issues when under pressure, especially in family gatherings and especially when there might be some personal credibility at stake.
    "Oh my God they couldn't even get your name right!"
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    15 Apr '21 09:03
    @divegeester said
    Over-proactive parenting has a quite deleterious impact on children.
    Nah. My mum was just always happy one of her children had never smoked.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Apr '21 09:07
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Nah. My mum was just always happy one of her children had never smoked.
    I see... tell me more about your protective mother Mr Duck.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Apr '21 09:07
    @fmf said
    Haha!
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    15 Apr '21 09:09
    @fmf said
    Checklist for FMF:

1. Learn the meaning of pseudonym.
    2. Always ask permission.
    3. Stop being a total ass.
    4. Don't mess with the Ghost.
    5. Invest heavily in watermelons.
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    15 Apr '21 09:13
    @divegeester said
    I see... tell me more about your protective mother Mr Duck.
    Yes sir, you are the person I really want to discuss such things with. I trust you implicitly, despite your cardigan and tambourine.

Strange though that you don't see why a mother wouldn't want her children to smoke.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Apr '21 09:21
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    4. Don’t mess with the Duck
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Apr '21 09:23
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Strange though that you don't see why a mother wouldn't want her children to smoke.
    I’m trying to help you come to terms with your repressed anger issues. Maybe it’s an Oedipus complex.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Apr '21 09:512 edits
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Checklist for FMF:
    Nobody was “messing with you”, you have had this explained maybe a dozen or more times now. Are you now threatening to once again take some sort of fire and brimstone retribution action over something so trivial?

Your name was read out in its normal spelling several times when you only had one story on the show. As with other contributors their name was modified when there were multiple stories by them in the same show. Do you really think the radio program producers were deliberately singling you out for some sort of vindictive public mockery because you had a difference of opinion about bloody Suzianne with one of them in a private club on friggin’ chess website! Is that really what you still believe?

You didn't like the light-hearted pseudonym used, not unlike the various other lighthearted ones that the show was and has been using, so rather than say so to FMF directly, and get it changed, you went behind his back and wrote such an over the top, vindictive letter to the station, you almost got four radio programmes cancelled.

“Don’t mess with the ghost” is a slogan you are fond of, but to me it is a revelation of a deep rooted need for spiteful revenge and tacit admission that you can fly off of the handle when you have an axe to grind.
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    15 Apr '21 09:57
    @divegeester said
    4. Don’t mess with the Duck
    Sure, that works too.
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    15 Apr '21 09:59
    @divegeester said
    I’m trying to help you come to terms with your repressed anger issues. Maybe it’s an Oedipus complex.
    I don't think you missed your calling sir. Perhaps stick to selling your encyclopaedias?
  14. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    15 Apr '21 10:16
    @very-musty said
    You said you wouldn't bring that up anymore!
    How was I to know that old lady had a gun?
    😆 😆 😆
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    15 Apr '21 10:181 edit
    @divegeester said
    Nobody was “messing with you”, you have had this explained maybe a dozen or more times now. Are you now threatening to once again take some sort of fire and brimstone retribution action over something so trivial?

Your name was read out in its normal spelling several times when you only had one story on the show. As with other contributors their name was modified when ...[text shortened]... iteful revenge and tacit admission that you can fly off of the handle when you have an axe to grind.
    Ok, I'll correct your many errors once again.

1. My permission wasn't sought. The first I knew of it was on live radio. Is that cool?

2. I was the 'only' person who's name was changed. Only after my complaint to the radio show did this become the norm (with permission from the other contributors) obviously to try and mitigate/disguise the petty motivations behind it.

3. FMF deliberately didn't preview the show on that and the subsequent occasion (as he had always done before) to ensure the first time I heard it was live. - This was picked up at the time by another contributor to the show who asked me if I knew why the show hadn't been put up as normal before broadcast. The reason soon became apparent.

4. The reason for FMF's vindictive actions was that he begrudged including my stories but was short of contributors and had already put in the effort of recording them. Messing with my name was the only (weak) control he had left at his disposal.

5. FMF had previously asked me to approach two writers to see if they would be interested in being part of the show. The first wasn't interested and the second said he would be, but only if he didn't use his own name. FMF rejected this and said he only wanted to broadcast contributors under their real names. (Ask him). Strangely this didn't stop him going on to spoonerise 'my' real name.

6. That it all backfired and went messy is entirely FMF's fault for failing in his duty as a responsible radio show host.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree