1. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    14 Apr '21 20:04
    My sons aged 25 and 23 have never had a tattoo, piercing, smoked or experimented with drugs.
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    14 Apr '21 20:14
    @drewnogal said
    My sons aged 25 and 23 have never had a tattoo, piercing, smoked or experimented with drugs.
    That you know about.

-VR
  3. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    14 Apr '21 20:58
    @very-rusty said
    That you know about.

-VR
    Ha ha, I just asked the younger one if he’d ever experimented with drugs? ‘why are you asking that?’ he replied. So I mentioned this thread.

Ok, no tattoos or piercings 😀
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    14 Apr '21 21:021 edit
    @drewnogal said
    Ha ha, I just asked the younger one if he’d ever experimented with drugs? ‘why are you asking that?’ he replied. So I mentioned this thread.

Ok, no tattoos or piercings 😀
    They don't always tell us what they are doing! 😉

You must be doing a good job, at least he didn't lie to you.

-VR
  5. Gothenburg
    Moves
    14 Apr '21 21:10
    @drewnogal said
    Good for all of you, Drew. Spares you a lot of worrying, often for no reason.
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    14 Apr '21 21:151 edit
    @torunn said
    Good for all of you, Drew. Spares you a lot of worrying, often for no reason.
    You may want to re-read the aforementioned statements made torunn. Especially 4th post down.

-VR
  7. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    15 Apr '21 03:42
    I admit to having tried smoking, but decided nail-biting was cheaper and there were more exciting things to spend money on.
    Tattoos and piercings are pointless ways to make yourself uglier than you were.
    I've never been tempted to try any form of illegal drug, and avoid any people who do. If any of them were legalised I still wouldn't do it. I'm even reluctant to use paracetamol (acetaminophen).

All that doesn't make me a wowser, just a person who prefers not to be cool. I don't own any Apple toys either.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Apr '21 04:58
    @kewpie said
    I admit to having tried smoking
    Me too and I blame it on a Cheech & Chong movie I watched.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Apr '21 05:06
    @fmf said
    I was never a New Romantic to any degree [late 70s-early 90s] despite being around numerous friends who succumbed to the trend.

Technological stages you may have skipped because you weren't in Asia: minidisc players and VCDs.

I've never seen any of the Lord Of The Rings franchise films.
    I think pretty much every fad there has ever been has passed me by. I’m a late adopter of almost everything, music, technology, home decor. Clothing fashions come and go while I languish in mainstream mediocrity.
  10. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    15 Apr '21 06:251 edit
    @divegeester said
    I think pretty much every fad there has ever been has passed me by. I’m a late adopter of almost everything, music, technology, home decor. Clothing fashions come and go while I languish in mainstream mediocrity.
    Maybe you were too busy being involved in some sporting activity? I spent years taking my two along to anything they wanted to try; swimming, football, badminton, rugby, golf, Taekwondo, life-saving swimming classes, Duke of Edinburgh award. I also told them from a young age that they would never be part the group that hung around the local street corners.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Apr '21 07:07
    @drewnogal said
    Maybe you were too busy being involved in some sporting activity?
    Where I grew up there was an excellent outdoor pool/lido. Initially I was in there teaching myself to swim (yes I taught myself) but as I grew older and became better at swimming and realised that in the mid 70’s the pool was where all the girls hung out, I spent my days there. The summer holidays around that time were dreamy; pool all afternoon then laying on the grass in the park. Eventually I became captain of the school swimming team but unfortunately the girls and my mates were now in the pubs so a fairly promising sporting life eventually passed me by.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Apr '21 07:07
    @drewnogal said
    I spent years taking my two along to anything they wanted to try; swimming, football, badminton, rugby, golf, Taekwondo, life-saving swimming classes, Duke of Edinburgh award. I also told them from a young age that they would never be part the group that hung around the local street corners.
    Excellent parenting I would say.
  13. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    15 Apr '21 07:37
    @the-gravedigger said
    Mask wearing outside.
    Here (Colombia) it's a legal requirement, as it is in most if not all of S. America, what good it does I would say about as good as the UK entering Eurovision.
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    15 Apr '21 07:46
    @drewnogal said
    I once caused a family episode at a Halloween party when I took a cigarette from my older sister and took a couple of puffs. My mum hit the roof, and of course blamed my sister.

I was 30 years old. (No joke).
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Apr '21 08:31
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I once caused a family episode at a Halloween party when I took a cigarette from my older sister and took a couple of puffs. My mum hit the roof, and of course blamed my sister.
    I was 30 years old. (No joke).
    Over-proactive parenting has a quite deleterious impact on children. A childhood suppressed of sufficient independent thinking and appropriate risk taking might result in overly compensated outbursts driven from a tightly wrapped emotional condition.

Continuing the overprotective stance through to a 30 year old adult (and probably beyond), would I imagine certainly exacerbate these negative traits and the adult might develop as being controlled but emotionally brittle, with tendencies toward anger issues when under pressure, especially in family gatherings and especially when there might be some personal credibility at stake.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree