Dyslexia stories

Dyslexia stories

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
78d

@suzianne said
I remember port is left because they both have the same number of letters. That's my mnemonic.
That’s a bit like me when I give a driver directions - right is by the hand I write with therefore the other is left. It takes a lot of thinking, eyes rolling round my head and gesturing for me to give a direction.

Gothenburg

Moves
78d

@drewnogal said
That’s a bit like me when I give a driver directions - right is by the hand I write with therefore the other is left. It takes a lot of thinking, eyes rolling round my head and gesturing for me to give a direction.
Right is the hand we shake hands with.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
78d

@divegeester said
I took an online test this morning and apparently I have “significant risk”. It think it may be overplaying my early years when I found spelling and reading difficult and which I’ve largely overcome or circumvented in later life.

In retrospect and to my own credit I suppose, I achieved A* grade in A level English as a mature student and found it relatively easy. I was ...[text shortened]... from yourselves on this sort of thing?

Edit; my usual edits for misspells and word displacements.
I sometimes wonder if OCD,Dyslexia,Bulimia,anorexia, adhd etc could be genetic.both my Grandsons have OCD,one ADHD + Dyslexia their father was diagnosed with OCD & low functioning sociopathy he became so bad so controlling my daughter left him.
I also have Neice that suffers from both eating disorders and OCD,both parents have OCD and the mother has suffered with Anorexia.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
78d

@david-burton said
I sometimes wonder if OCD,Dyslexia,Bulimia,anorexia, adhd etc could be genetic.both my Grandsons have OCD,one ADHD + Dyslexia their father was diagnosed with OCD & low functioning sociopathy he became so bad so controlling my daughter left him.
I also have Neice that suffers from both eating disorders and OCD,both parents have OCD and the mother has suffered with Anorexia.
There is definitely a strong genetic link for OCD. (More so than environmental causes).

Australia

Moves
78d

@drewnogal said
Hold your hands out in front of you with palms facing forward and thumbs horizontal. Left is the one that forms a big L With finger and thumb.

Moves
78d

@divegeester said
Well I don’t even know which is which so I’ve got no chance!
@moonbus said
Ah, right. I mean, now I understand. So, what about port and starboard? Just like the submariner? Can you keep those straight?
@divegeester said

Do you have the same dilemma with fore and aft? And do you also need hand signals to guide you?

Jack Torrance

Overlook Hotel

Moves
78d
1 edit

Whenever I am on a ship I don't bother going to the bridge and getting involved with telling the helmsman to go port 20 or hard a cardboard. The ships probably on autopilot anyway.
I go to straight to the bar and get pi$$hed.

Über-Nerd

Moves
78d

@divegeester said
It may have more to do with spatial orientation than words (dyslexia).

Do mirrors confuse you?

Über-Nerd

Moves
78d
1 edit

@david-burton said
Hard to say whether this is genetic, or learned (from parents), or a defense mechanism to compensate for dysfunctional parenting.

I'm of the opinion that genetics under-determines personality. That is, there may be a disposition (to dyslexia, or homosexuality, or religiosity, or aggressiveness, or musicality, or whatever), but whether it ever surfaces, and if so, how, is not biologically fixed, because there are so many other factors involved. Suppose Mozart had been born to a tone-deaf father in the African savannah 1,000 yrs ago instead of to a man who had some musical understanding and connections to royal courts of Europe. Little Wolfgang might still have become a musical genius (in whatever genres were available to him at that time and place), but he would more likely have found some other outlet for his mental abilities.

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
78d

During pregnancy your brain shrinks and it takes a while to return to its original size; thus the term baby brain.

I recall buying something at a shop and as the assistant handed me my small change I just offered my open purse for her to put the money in for me, like a small child. As I left the shop I was surprised by my impulsive action 😮

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
78d

@drewnogal said
During pregnancy your brain shrinks
This also happens when conversing with trev.

Moves
78d

Questions for the amateur medical experts.

Is obsession considered a disorder?

Is there a degree of obsession which can be considered normal, rather than abnormal? Where normal = order (healthy), and abnormal = disorder (diseased)

A summary of what obsession is typically defined is that it's a strong, persistent, and often uncontrollable preoccupation with an idea, feeling, or activity that can significantly impact a person's ability to function normally, especially when it involves intrusive thoughts or behaviors that are senseless and distressing but extremely difficult to overcome.

But is obsession always a negative attribute to have for a person?

Moves
78d

@drewnogal said
GPS seems to work, though I have read about some glitches with it.🤔😲😁

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
78d

@pettytalk said

Is there a degree of obsession which can be considered normal, rather than abnormal? Where normal = order (healthy), and abnormal = disorder (diseased)

A summary of what obsession is typically defined is that it's a strong, persistent, and often uncontrollable preoccupation with an ...[text shortened]... tremely difficult to overcome.

I don't have OCD, but I do have leanings towards the condition. (For example, I check the oven is off or the door is properly locked once or twice more than necessary, and double check where my bank card is, even though I know where I put it).

So yes, I would say a degree of obsessional behaviour is 'normal' (whatever normal is). I also find it can be beneficial, if directed into something useful. (For example, because of my pedantic and over checking nature, I'm pretty good at doing things correctly and avoiding mistakes).

Über-Nerd

Moves
78d

@pettytalk said

A summary of what obsession is typically defined is that it's a strong, persistent, and often uncontrollable preoccupation with an ...[text shortened]... tremely difficult to overcome.

If you're later declared a saint, it's not called "obsession" anymore, it's called "devotion"; whereas, if you're later declared a traitor, it's called "delusion."