Dean Koontz and science

Dean Koontz and science

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mlb62

Moves
23 Nov 17
1 edit

all science nerds should read books be Dean Koontz. It will open their narrow eyes to many possibilities in the universe !!!

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
23 Nov 17

I urge you to play chess and drink beer every day.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
23 Nov 17

Originally posted by @ogb
all science nerds should read books be Dean Koontz. It will open their narrow eyes to many possibilities in the universe !!!
There are many sci fi authors who open up minds to possibilites, Arthur C Clarke, who invented the concept of the geosync sats for communications in 1948 or thereabouts.
Isaac Azimov, Fredrick Pohl, Cliffard Simac, Robert J Sawyer (Hominids and others) Phillip K Dick (Minority Report, among many others) Orson Scott Card, Enders Game series, Seventh Son. Just a few people who open eyes to possibilities besides Koontz.

PAR

The World

Moves
23 Nov 17

Originally posted by @sonhouse
There are many sci fi authors who open up minds to possibilites, Arthur C Clarke, who invented the concept of the geosync sats for communications in 1948 or thereabouts.
Isaac Azimov, Fredrick Pohl, Cliffard Simac, Robert J Sawyer (Hominids and others) Phillip K Dick (Minority Report, among many others) Orson Scott Card, Enders Game series, Seventh Son. Just a few people who open eyes to possibilities besides Koontz.
I've included two ideas in my novel that I'd like to think could become true:

1. Harnessing electricity from underwater growing plants.
2. A worldwide conduit for electricity to be available, where all the environmentally friendly ways of generating electricity converge, span the world, and then can be moved to all people of the world to the betterment of Humankind - yeah, I know I'm not a realist - Humans are still too barbaric to work together!

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
23 Nov 17

Originally posted by @paul-a-roberts

2. A worldwide conduit for electricity to be available, where all the environmentally friendly ways of generating electricity converge, span the world, and then can be moved to all people of the world to the bett ...[text shortened]... of Humankind - yeah, I know I'm not a realist - Humans are still too barbaric to work together!
I think eventually we won't need a grid for power. I think we will figure out how to power devices with internal power supplies maybe with small atomic batteries, maybe with anti-matter matter conversion, whatever, a toaster that needs 1.5 Kw would have that power source internally and no need to plug into the wall. TV's, computers, cars, aircraft, spacecraft, all with power to spare, like a spacecraft using a VASIMR kind of rockets needing megawatts to get significant thrust, all powered by some lightweight fusion or anti matter reactors. Then we get to Mars in a week or Pluto in two as well as reducing our generation of CO2 to negligible levels.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
23 Nov 17

I think eventually we won't need a grid for power. .
Portable heat pumps that just suck energy from the environment.

Mar-a-Lago

Moves
23 Nov 17

Originally posted by @paul-a-roberts

2. A worldwide conduit for electricity to be available, where all the environmentally friendly ways of generating electricity converge, span the world, and then can be moved to all people of the world to the bett ...[text shortened]... of Humankind - yeah, I know I'm not a realist - Humans are still too barbaric to work together!
Don't forget about harnessing electricity from Unicorns.

mlb62

Moves
23 Nov 17

Originally posted by @wolfgang59
I urge you to play chess and drink beer every day.
thanks I'll accept your recommendation

Moves
24 Nov 17

Originally posted by @wolfgang59
Portable heat pumps that just suck energy from the environment.
Heat won't pass from a cooler to a hotter - you can try it if you like, but you're far better not to.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
24 Nov 17
1 edit

I’ve always enjoyed Asimov and many short story authors, but I thought Enders Game was a poor read with a very disapointing ending. Personally I found the story too far-fetched and the characters to be shallow stereotypes. There is latent child homosexuality inferences and a complete lack of empathy for the childishly named and demonised “buggers”.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
24 Nov 17

Originally posted by @shallow-blue
Heat won't pass from a cooler to a hotter - you can try it if you like, but you're far better not to.
Heat will pass from hot to cool, but you need energy this is what heat pumps do.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
24 Nov 17

Originally posted by @divegeester
I’ve always enjoyed Asimov and many short story authors, but I thought Enders Game was a poor read with a very disapointing ending. Personally I found the story too far-fetched and the characters to be shallow stereotypes. There is latent child homosexuality inferences and a complete lack of empathy for the childishly named and demonised “buggers”.
Basically it was a young adult series so the lack of depth is understandable. I agree with you about the books. Didn't much like the movie either.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
24 Nov 17
1 edit

Basically it was a young adult series so the lack of depth is understandable. I agree with you about the books. Didn't much like the movie either.
The movie was as dull as the book which is supposed to be a SiFi classic. I don’t get that at all.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
24 Nov 17
1 edit

Originally posted by @divegeester
The movie was as dull as the book which is supposed to be a SiFi classic. I don’t get that at all.
It's called the power of advertisement. It definitely was not going to be on the Oscar list🙂 Kids probably loved the basic concept though. Let's see, what do they call that?

Oh yes... Pandering.

Moves
25 Nov 17

Originally posted by @ponderable
Heat will pass from hot to cool, but you need energy this is what heat pumps do.
?t=127