Civility in international places

Civility in international places

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
16 Feb 15

Originally posted by Kewpie
That's a daft idea. Australia picked up metric currency in 1966 as a small revolt against British control of our own institutions. We chose the metric measurements in the 1970s because so many of our trading partners use metric systems, and as a small underpopulated country we have a lot of interaction with other countries. If anything, it's asserting our independent choice, not kowtowing to some "international world government".
As always, Kewpie, I respect your opinions whether they agree with or differ from my own. Australia and its issues have always been important to me ever since a close friend from Ascot Brisbane died unexpectedly in his mid thirties. -Bob

Read a book!

Moves
16 Feb 15

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
As always, Kewpie, I respect your opinions whether they agree with or differ from my own. Australia and its issues have always been important to me ever since a close friend from Ascot Brisbane died unexpectedly in his mid thirties. -Bob
Would you care even more if two friends had died unexpectedly?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
16 Feb 15

Originally posted by HandyAndy
Would you care even more if two friends had died unexpectedly?
Ask Tom.

Moves
16 Feb 15

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Standardizing units of measure would become a precursor of an international world government which would eliminate the national protection of individual rights under the rule of law.
And what's worse, they're French!!! The horror, le horreur...

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
16 Feb 15

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
And what's worse, they're French!!! The horror, le horreur...
SB, country of origin or ancestry are hardly the issues. Without global standardization of units of measure, currency, banking, online access, personal identity cards [or chips] "an international world government which would eliminate the national protection of individual rights under the rule of law" by autonomous sovereign nations would be impossible.

Australia

Moves
16 Feb 15

We already have Big Brother, in the developed world at least, and mostly we've learned to live with it. In fact it can be convenient; terrorism and cybercrime have provided a constant need for personal identification and you can't always go somewhere to present a passport with biometric data. The new smart-app stuff is doing its best to make that obsolete, but that means data has to be stored where everybody can get at it.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
17 Feb 15

Originally posted by Kewpie
We already have Big Brother, in the developed world at least, and mostly we've learned to live with it. In fact it can be convenient; terrorism and cybercrime have provided a constant need for personal identification and you can't always go somewhere to present a passport with biometric data. The new smart-app stuff is doing its best to make that obsolete, but that means data has to be stored where everybody can get at it.
“Wisdom is known by her children.” -Matthew 11:19