A viable thread

A viable thread

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
29 Dec 15

Originally posted by HandyAndy
Ever since our paths first crossed, you have posted hundreds, perhaps thousands, of copy/pastes in these forums. How many times during all these years did you secure written permission from an author before quoting his or her intellectual property? My guess is never, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks for your interest in this fascinating topic.
"How many times during all these years did you secure written permission from an author before quoting his or her intellectual property?"
_____________________-

Have always read the fine print first; most recently this website's which prohibits Copy & Paste prior to obtaining the author's approval: Please access

http://www.readinggroupchoices.com/reading-groups/advice-tips/10-tips-on-starting-and-running-a-book-club

which I posted in reply to drewnogal on page sixteen of "Memo". ~Bob.

Read a book!

Moves
29 Dec 15

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
"How many times during all these years did you secure written permission from an author before quoting his or her intellectual property?"
_____________________-

Have always read the fine print first; most recently this website's which prohibits Copy & Paste prior to obtaining the author's approval: Please acces ...[text shortened]... nd-running-a-book-club

which I posted in reply to drewnogal on page sixteen of "Memo". ~Bob.
The question remains: How many times have you sought written permission from an author before quoting his or her intellectual property here at RHP?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
29 Dec 15
1 edit

The question remains: How many times have you sought written permission from an author before quoting his or her intellectual property here at RHP?
Whenever a website contained wording similar to your quotation I aborted the site and pursued other search menu options,
so there was never any need to do so. This is simply a precautionary internet procedure not an emotional issue..

Moves
29 Dec 15

Whenever a website contained wording similar to your quotation I aborted the site and pursued other search menu options,
so there was never any need to do so. This is simply a precautionary internet procedure not an emotional issue..
STAY ON TOPIC OR LEAVE!!! Damn hypocrite!

Read a book!

Moves
29 Dec 15

I agree, it's not an emotional issue. It's just a simple question that seeks a simple answer: Have you ever, even once, sought explicit permission from an author before quoting his or her written or spoken material in one of your posts?

F

Moves
29 Dec 15
1 edit

rc

Moves
29 Dec 15
3 edits

I agree, it's not an emotional issue. It's just a simple question that seeks a simple answer: Have you ever, even once, sought explicit permission from an author before quoting his or her written or spoken material in one of your posts?
You don't need to get the explicit permission from an author or the copyright holder to use a portion of their work if its for 'fair use' and looking at Bobbys posts his use of any copy and pasted material fit with 'fair use', under US law.

they do not infringe upon or cause detriment in anyway to

the purpose and character of the use of the work
the nature of the copyrighted work
the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the work
the effect of the use on the market for the original

Now that being the case why would he seek the authors express and explicit permission if his use of any material is considered 'fair use', under US law?

Read a book!

Moves
29 Dec 15

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
You don't need to get the explicit permission from an author or the copyright holder to use a portion of their work if its for 'fair use' and looking at Bobbys posts his use of any copy and pasted material fit with 'fair use', under US law.

they do not infringe upon or cause detriment in anyway to

the purpose and character of the use of the wor ...[text shortened]... press and explicit permission if his use of any material is considered 'fair use', under US law?
I agree with you.. we're on the same page. I raised the question when Bobby took me to task for not getting written permission from an author whose work I quoted.

rc

Moves
29 Dec 15

I agree with you.. we're on the same page. I raised the question when Bobby took me to task for not getting written permission from an author whose work I quoted.
I see, then Bobby has learned something and everyone's a winner 😀

Read a book!

Moves
30 Dec 15

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
I see, then Bobby has learned something and everyone's a winner 😀
Indeed, though Bobby never learned to admit he's wrong.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
30 Dec 15

~o-o~

"Whenever a website contained wording similar to your quotation I aborted the site and pursued other search menu options,
so there was never any need to do so. This is simply a precautionary internet procedure not an emotional issue.."

Read a book!

Moves
30 Dec 15

~o-o~

"Whenever a website contained wording similar to your quotation I aborted the site and pursued other search menu options,
so there was never any need to do so. This is simply a precautionary internet procedure not an emotional issue.."
Are you really that thickheaded, or is this just another one of your juvenile games?

Clean your eyeglasses and acquaint yourself with the fair use doctrine as it applies to the Internet.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
30 Dec 15

Are you really that thickheaded, or is this just another one of your juvenile games?

Clean your eyeglasses and acquaint yourself with the fair use doctrine as it applies to the Internet.
Noted.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
31 Dec 15

Originally posted by Flower04
best post on this thread up to here.

Read a book!

Moves
31 Dec 15

Originally posted by Ponderable
best post on this thread up to here.