1. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    12 Oct '21 18:12
    @the-gravedigger said
    Soon we will be out on our doorsteps applauding truck drivers 😆
    All they ask is that we keep our speed up on the motorways and don’t crawl and slow them down 🙂
  2. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    13 Oct '21 01:28
    @drewnogal said
    All they ask is that we keep our speed up on the motorways and don’t crawl and slow them down 🙂
    Or cut in front of them and tuck in below their field of vision.

Trivia: our govt has just announced a Covid-related extra pay allowance for frontline health workers. About time. No, I'm not one of them, but I approve.
  3. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    13 Oct '21 07:34
    @kewpie said
    Or cut in front of them and tuck in below their field of vision.

Trivia: our govt has just announced a Covid-related extra pay allowance for frontline health workers. About time. No, I'm not one of them, but I approve.
    Its the check out workers at supermarkets I feel sorry for. They come into contact with hundreds of people every day coughing and spluttering. Have to touch all the stuff they have just touched and have virtually no PPE apart from a daft plastic screen. Plus they are on minimum wage with crap pensions.
    Same with bus drivers and taxi drivers.
    At least if you signed up to be a frontline health worker you could expect to have to deal with sick people.
  4. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    13 Oct '21 08:15
    @the-gravedigger said
    Its the check out workers at supermarkets I feel sorry for. They come into contact with hundreds of people every day coughing and spluttering. Have to touch all the stuff they have just touched and have virtually no PPE apart from a daft plastic screen. Plus they are on minimum wage with crap pensions.
    At least if you signed up to be a frontline health worker you could expect to have to deal with sick people.
    Yeah, and if they get the price of your can of beans wrong working under these conditions you might die and your family might sue their ass off and drag them through the papers. The health workers don't even have to ask you to pay and just get to let everybody in the shop.🤔
  5. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    13 Oct '21 08:39
    @relentless-red said
    Yeah, and if they get the price of your can of beans wrong working under these conditions you might die and your family might sue their ass off and drag them through the papers. The health workers don't even have to ask you to pay and just get to let everybody in the shop.🤔
    Oh, how many health workers have been sued and dragged through the papers during covid ?
    They don't have to ask you to pay because the government has already taken the money from you.
  6. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    13 Oct '21 08:46
    @the-gravedigger said
    Oh, how many health workers have been sued and dragged through the papers during covid ?
    They don't have to ask you to pay because the government has already taken the money from you.
    So you don't think they are faced with that real possibility on a daily basis?
  7. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    13 Oct '21 08:581 edit
    @the-gravedigger said
    Everyone has pulled together 🙂 During the early vaccinations our swimming pool life-guards did a great job of guiding individuals along the socially distanced, virtual pathways through the checking and treatment areas. Every occupied seat received a methodical antiseptic wipe. Mind numbing stuff, had to admire them.

Met a charming Tesco home delivery man last Saturday. He was expecting to bring my boxes of shopping right into the house but I stopped him, explaining my cough. Would like to have tipped him.
  8. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    13 Oct '21 09:09
    @drewnogal said
    Everyone has pulled together 🙂 During the early vaccinations our swimming pool life-guards did a great job of guiding individuals along the socially distanced, virtual pathways through the checking and treatment areas. Every occupied seat received a methodical antiseptic wipe. Mind numbing stuff, had to admire them.

Met a charming Tesco home delivery man last Saturday. H ...[text shortened]... shopping right into the house but I stopped him, explaining my cough. Would like to have tipped him.
    Domestic assistants and cleaners in all locations have certainly been at serious risk. Tough jobs under any circumstances.
  9. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    13 Oct '21 09:591 edit
    @relentless-red said
    Domestic assistants and cleaners in all locations have certainly been at serious risk. Tough jobs under any circumstances.
    Ah, the hardy domestic! I did a bit of that. Remember a colleague once affectionately describing them as a ‘gaggle of domestics’ as they smoked and chatted during their break in the coffee lounge 🙂
  10. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    13 Oct '21 10:05
    @drewnogal said
    Ah, the hardy domestic! I did a bit of that. Remember a colleague once affectionately describing them as a ‘gaggle of domestics’ as they smoked and chatted during their break in the coffee lounge 🙂
    One of my family has been doing it through the pandemic.

No smoking on a lot of sites now though - probably a good thing?? 😁
  11. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    13 Oct '21 11:36
    @relentless-red said
    So you don't think they are faced with that real possibility on a daily basis?
    I think your comment about shop workers is very condescending.
    If health workers do get sued (you haven't provided any examples of them being dragged through the press) its the tax payer who foots the bill.
  12. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    13 Oct '21 12:28
    @the-gravedigger said
    If health workers do get sued (you haven't provided any examples of them being dragged through the press) its the tax payer who foots the bill.
    The comment that they don't work with a fear of litigation hanging over them? I think you just don't like my reaction to your comparison with health workers.
  13. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    13 Oct '21 12:48
    @relentless-red said
    The comment that they don't work with a fear of litigation hanging over them? I think you just don't like my reaction to your comparison with health workers.
    What would be the point of suing someone who earns less than £9 per hour ?
  14. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    13 Oct '21 12:541 edit
    @the-gravedigger said
    I’m sure that every one of us appreciates the value of our shop workers who’ve worked tirelessly to keep us fed through all of this. What we don’t get to see is the pressures forced down through the management hierarchy in the NHS and Social Services with it’s continual demands for increased productivity while cutting costs so everyone else takes up the slack caused by staff illness, retirement, job change etc. Then surprisingly there’s a crisis and we all hear about it! It’s very demeaning to hear of your area of practice being constantly criticised in the media. It makes you feel like rubbish and there can be high personal costs.
  15. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    13 Oct '21 14:30
    @drewnogal said
    I’m sure that every one of us appreciates the value of our shop workers who’ve worked tirelessly to keep us fed through all of this. What we don’t get to see is the pressures forced down through the management hierarchy in the NHS and Social Services with it’s continual demands for increased productivity while cutting costs so everyone else takes up the slack caused by staf ...[text shortened]... antly criticised in the media. It makes you feel like rubbish and there can be high personal costs.
    I have not heard of any health workers being constantly criticised.
    Apart from at the beginning of covid when they were making dancing videos for tik tok because the were bored.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree