1. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    05 Oct '21 10:17
    People use sick days when they’re actually sick?
  2. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    05 Oct '21 12:52
    @trev33 said
    People use sick days when they’re actually sick?
    It’s mandatory in places where you work shifts as you’re just bound to be spotted browsing in Poundstretcher or B&M’s by a fellow colleague on a day off 😮
  3. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    07 Oct '21 04:23
    @relentless-red said
    @drewnogal

The problem with short lived viral illnesses is that you really have very little idea what they were. When people get a viral illness at it's worst it gets much easier to figure out what it was because it produces it's typical picture, but if people have it in a mild way it can mimic a 24 hour cold or even be asymptomatic.

Historically some people were ...[text shortened]... for a 24 hour self limiting illness, but since common things occur commonly it was probably a cold.
    Now at day 8 so this must be a super-cold! Awoke with a raw cough, had some Paracetamol Plus, did a bit of steam inhalation and sipped a hot mug of lime juice and honey. Feeling much better for now 🙂

Heading your way ..... ☚ī¸
  4. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    07 Oct '21 08:03
    @drewnogal said
    Now at day 8 so this must be a super-cold! Awoke with a raw cough, had some Paracetamol Plus, did a bit of steam inhalation and sipped a hot mug of lime juice and honey. Feeling much better for now 🙂

Heading your way ..... ☚ī¸
    Have you got a lateral flow test kit? Free from most chemists if there is somebody who would pick one up for you. Maybe there is a test centre local to you?

(Not saying it's COVID, but no harm in checking. It is possible to get the symptoms that you describe even if double jabbed.)
  5. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    07 Oct '21 08:14
    @relentless-red said
    Have you got a lateral flow test kit? Free from most chemists if there is somebody who would pick one up for you. Maybe there is a test centre local to you?

(Not saying it's COVID, but no harm in checking. It is possible to get the symptoms that you describe even if double jabbed.)
    One of us 3 did one 5 days ago which was negative though I could try one myself I suppose.
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    07 Oct '21 09:361 edit
    @relentless-red said

They’re a load of garbage, was at my sisters house a few weeks ago and my dad had been feeling tough, coughing, runny nose, etc so my sister gave him one of the lateral flow tests she does for work. It was negative of course so he called the doctor, what did the doctor say? Yup, go and get a pcr test. Which was also negative but love the trust in the lateral flow tests.

Edit, while in rand mood, last year sister in law had classic covid systems for weeks and was off work yet tested negative in every test.

Saying that, I went and got the first dose of the stupid vaccine there on Tuesday, going to be a pain travelling without it.
  7. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    07 Oct '21 10:16
    @trev33 said
    They’re a load of garbage, was at my sisters house a few weeks ago and my dad had been feeling tough, coughing, runny nose, etc so my sister gave him one of the lateral flow tests she does for work. It was negative of course so he called the doctor, what did the doctor say? Yup, go and get a pcr test. Which was also negative but love the trust in the lateral flow tests.

Edi ...[text shortened]... got the first dose of the stupid vaccine there on Tuesday, going to be a pain travelling without it.
    As interesting as anecdotal accounts of isolated experiences read, the evidence for lateral flow tests is pretty good.

If you prefer the anecdotal stuff I have had many negative tests as a requirement for visiting a nursing home. The only person I know who tested positive whilst well (only took the test to get an NHS pass), was ill with COVID the following day.
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    07 Oct '21 10:31
    @relentless-red said
    As interesting as anecdotal accounts of isolated experiences read, the evidence for lateral flow tests is pretty good.

If you prefer the anecdotal stuff I have had many negative tests as a requirement for visiting a nursing home. The only person I know who tested positive whilst well (only took the test to get an NHS pass), was ill with COVID the following day.
    Nah, the fact that doctors ask you to get a second different test regardless of the result speaks volumes.

Anyway, moving on. Good to see people getting out and about again.
  9. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    07 Oct '21 10:53
    @trev33 said
    Nah, the fact that doctors ask you to get a second different test regardless of the result speaks volumes.

Nah, that's standard practice mate. Use a cheap easy to roll out test that's reasonably accurate and allows confidence in a negative result, to identify the right group for the more expensive tests that are highly accurate to retest the positives.

It's like alpha fetoprotein testing. Positive test leads you to a higher level of testing, but a negative one and bosh, no more worries about neural tube defects and they're cheap as chips. In my humble opinion. Can I interest you in a box of 100 I found this morning sir?? Cheap and cheerful.
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    07 Oct '21 11:12
    @relentless-red said
    Nah, that's standard practice mate. Use a cheap easy to roll out test that's reasonably accurate and allows confidence in a negative result, to identify the right group for the more expensive tests that are highly accurate to retest the positives.

It's like alpha fetoprotein testing. Positive test leads you to a higher level of testing, but a negative one and bosh, ...[text shortened]... my humble opinion. Can I interest you in a box of 100 I found this morning sir?? Cheap and cheerful.
    Nah, all a load of old rubbish 😉
  11. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    07 Oct '21 11:14
    @trev33 said
    Nah, all a load of old rubbish 😉
    Comes with a free lollipop though. đŸĸ
  12. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    07 Oct '21 11:25
    @trev33 said

That’s my son’s view unfortunately ☚ī¸ so even if I did get a positive test ‘he’s’ doing his own thing in spite of my preaching. So I’ll self isolate for 8 days as this coughing started 3 days ago.
  13. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    07 Oct '21 11:29
    @relentless-red said
    I asked for a lollipop after getting the vaccine but he said all you'll get is a sore arm and a sense of dizziness and feeling lightheaded for the rest of the day. Maybe after the second they give you the lollipop. Bitter lemon hopefully.
  14. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    07 Oct '21 11:35
    @relentless-red said
    I got a sticker.👍
  15. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    07 Oct '21 11:39
    @drewnogal said
    That’s my son’s view unfortunately ☚ī¸ so even if I did get a positive test ‘he’s’ doing his own thing in spite of my preaching. So I’ll self isolate for 8 days as this coughing started 3 days ago.
    I'd do a test every day if I thought I'd get 10 days off work 😅

After seeing first hand how they're dealing with the hotel quarantine I've lost all faith in the rules regarding testing and quarantines, how much of it is to make a profit and how much is it to protect people?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree