11 Year Old Prodigy Killed in Murder/Suicide

11 Year Old Prodigy Killed in Murder/Suicide

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D

Moves
11 Sep 14
3 edits

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
11 Sep 14

The post that was quoted here has been removed
I may have minced terms a bit. I do know one can be a real prick, and not be a male.
Good day

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
12 Sep 14

Originally posted by ChessPraxis
I may have minced terms a bit. I do know one can be a real prick, and not be a male.
Good day
The term 'prick' does appear to be gender specific. Not that it actually matters, or an ignorant laymen should care or even notice any relevant distinction, however...

... um...

oh crap, I forgot what we were talking about 😕

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
12 Sep 14
1 edit

American kids today have pretty much zero in the 'objectivity' department.

Getting to IM usually involves having coaches a lot higher rated than a 2200 USCF dude.

Weeramantry is a genuine IM so he would know much better how to get talented kids up to his level than any dude rated 2200 USCF. In Russia, a 2200 rating just makes you a candidate master, you don't even get the master title till you get to the 2300 level or so.

A talented kid who is approaching 2200 at age 11 is certainly capable of reaching IM strength IF given the proper high level coaching.

You are right, we banty around the term prodigy when the real prodigies are the Mozarts and Capablanca's (the story goes Capa taught himself the game by watching his dad play, and his father, a local Cuban master player, once made a diagonal move with a knight and after the game the young Capa tried to point that out, going over the moves and then playing and beating his old man the first game they played. Don't know how real that story is but it does show the idea of REAL prodigy in action. I'm sure this murdered kid wouldn't have pulled THAT trick off at the age of 5 or whatever Capa was if that story was anything like true.

I wonder if anyone will ever find out the motive for this murder/suicide, a tragedy for ANYONE.

D

Moves
12 Sep 14

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
12 Sep 14

I thought Sunil was an IM, my bad🙂 So what did you do with your math skills? develop in college?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
12 Sep 14

He probably cheated with a chess computer.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
12 Sep 14
1 edit

Originally posted by sonhouse
I wonder if anyone will figure out why he did it? close to 2200 at age 11, he may have been a true prodigy, there are just not that many Capablanca's who learn by themselves.

The boy's father may have held him back by not getting him to the proper coaches, like Weeramantry for example.

What a tragedy.
If the boy's father had been a Christian, he would not have committed suicide or held the boy back. He would have also made sure his boy was taught not to cheat with a chess computer.