1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    29 Jun '22 15:251 edit
    For 30+ years I was an employee, working for different companies (several that were offshored) but today marks 15 years of self-employment, doing insurance billing, credentialing, payment ledger posting, and benefit verification for medical clinics. What I've learned:

Doing your best does NOT mean working yourself to the point of a nervous breakdown.

You're not going to please everyone, so don't feel down if you're fired, learn from the experience and move on.

ABM (Always Be Marketing) You never know when a client is going to retire, change their mind, or give your job to a relative of theirs, so seek to keep more prospects available.

Read: This has been hard for me because it's not natural, but so worth it. Reading about how others struggled to succeed and what they learned, helped me keep going, and taught me some shortcuts along the way.

Dessert comes later. Most successful companies don't start out that way, so be prepared to face some early grim times.

Never underestimate the power of journaling. I've filled more than 150 pages with notes, ideas, strategies and pitfalls in my little cheapo notebook, this has saved me time and energy having this vital storehouse of information in one place, in addition, good ideas don't get lost in the fog of one's day to day work.

DON'T listen to the naysayers! I failed at 2 business ventures before this one succeeded, all the while listening to friends and family advising to "go out and get a real job" if I had heeded their advice, I'd be stuck in another dead-end job and miserable.

Today I'm sitting at home, happily tapping on my keyboard, while my former employer (a construction company) is now employed by me - remodeling my bathroom. Don't give up on your dreams! πŸ™‚
  2. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    29 Jun '22 18:13
    @mchill
    Not sure what to debate about here but it's all good advice. Congrats on the success of all your efforts.
  3. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    29 Jun '22 19:37
    @mchill said
    For 30+ years I was an employee, working for different companies (several that were offshored) but today marks 15 years of self-employment, doing insurance billing, credentialing, payment ledger posting, and benefit verification for medical clinics. What I've learned:

Doing your best does NOT mean working yourself to the point of a nervous breakdown.

You're not going to ...[text shortened]... truction company) is now employed by me - remodeling my bathroom. Don't give up on your dreams! πŸ™‚
    you people really have no life do you?
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    29 Jun '22 23:251 edit
    @mchill

I too was a captive employee for many years, then went freelance. Best decision I ever made, careerwise. Cleared up my gastritis in one week. The administrative overhead was higher, but the freedom to be able to refuse any offer is enormously liberating and well worth the effort to go freelance.
  5. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    30 Jun '22 00:18
    @mchill

Spent my first years as an employee in a union environment, huddled around the smoko table whinging about how the boss was screwing us.

Now self employed contractor; no holiday pay, no sick leave, no overtime rates, no maternity leave, no Co. assistance if I want to terminate a parasitical maggot (abortion)

Work one hour, get paid one hour.

Never regretted the move.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Jun '22 02:40
    @Mott-The-Hoople
    Much better than a dipshyte like you.
  7. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    30 Jun '22 07:36
    @wajoma said
    @mchill

Spent my first years as an employee in a union environment, huddled around the smoko table whinging about how the boss was screwing us.

Now self employed contractor; no holiday pay, no sick leave, no overtime rates, no maternity leave, no Co. assistance if I want to terminate a parasitical maggot (abortion)

Work one hour, get paid one hour.

Never regretted the move.
    I’m guessing your union colleagues were devastated when the scab left the smoko table.
  8. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    30 Jun '22 07:58
    @kevcvs57 said
    I’m guessing your union colleagues were devastated when the scab left the smoko table.
    Scabs undercut the union sheep, I went to more money.
  9. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    30 Jun '22 08:04
    @wajoma said
    Scabs undercut the union sheep, I went to more money.
    They sometimes get more money than the Union is striking for, they are the tool the boss uses to break the strike, obviously once the strike is broken the boss couldn’t give a toss about them.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree