What penalty for street racer's killing of jogger?

What penalty for street racer's killing of jogger?

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
30 Jan 15

Originally posted by twhitehead
If she was a prostitute looking for business should the sentence be any different?
Yes, then it would have read:

Like she had all her life, Kiran Pabla spent her last moments doting on her clients.

Cape Town

Moves
30 Jan 15

Originally posted by sh76
Yes, then it would have read:

Like she had all her life, Kiran Pabla spent her last moments doting on her clients.
🙂 Good one.

t

Garner, NC

Moves
30 Jan 15

Sadly, I've done things approximately this stupid before too.

The only difference is that no one was hurt and this is attributable only to luck rather than my own choices.

Moves
30 Jan 15

Originally posted by techsouth
Sadly, I've done things approximately this stupid before too.

The only difference is that no one was hurt and this is attributable only to luck rather than my own choices.
From an interview at

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=141164708

Quote:

COX: To not be too clinical in the spin that we put on this, what parts of the brain are we talking about and what changes happen between the ages of 18 and, let's say, 25?

AAMODT: So the changes that happen between 18 and 25 are a continuation of the process that starts around puberty, and 18 year olds are about halfway through that process. Their prefrontal cortex is not yet fully developed. That's the part of the brain that helps you to inhibit impulses and to plan and organize your behavior to reach a goal.

And the other part of the brain that is different in adolescence is that the brain's reward system becomes highly active right around the time of puberty and then gradually goes back to an adult level, which it reaches around age 25 and that makes adolescents and young adults more interested in entering uncertain situations to seek out and try to find whether there might be a possibility of gaining something from those situations.

COX: So this is important. Are the physiological changes in the brain, in terms of the development of young people, as significant and impactful as the cultural changes and environmental changes that they go through vis-a-vis peer pressure things of that sort?

AAMODT: Well, actually, one of the side effects of these changes in the reward system is that adolescents and young adults become much more sensitive to peer pressure than they were earlier or will be as adults.

So, for instance, a 20 year old is 50 percent more likely to do something risky if two friends are watching than if he's alone.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
03 Feb 15

Originally posted by JS357
From an interview at

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=141164708

Quote:

COX: To not be too clinical in the spin that we put on this, what parts of the brain are we talking about and what changes happen between the ages of 18 and, let's say, 25?

AAMODT: So the changes that happen between 18 and 25 are a continuation of the process ...[text shortened]... is 50 percent more likely to do something risky if two friends are watching than if he's alone.
Sound as if the sentencing that sh76 put forward is appropriate. Serious time for serious wrongdoing, but a recognition of young and stupid.