Weed in Washington

Weed in Washington

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
24 Feb 13

Originally posted by e4chris
in some states its like caught 3 times with a spliff and its life
To my knowledge such a draconian law does not exist. There are 3 strikes laws, but they don't apply to such minor crimes as having a joint.

On the contrary, the Supreme Court in Solem v. Helm, struck down a life sentence for a seventh conviction under a state law that required life for a 7th conviction. (In that case, the seventh conviction was for writing a check on a fake account.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solem_v._Helm

e

Moves
24 Feb 13

In the UK it feels like that Donovan song, Try and catch the wind, getting weed legal. Its what defines quality of life for a lot of people. Just looked him up and he was busted for weed, you don't need to harass people like that.

Its good to know you don't get life for 3 petty crimes like that. I thought that 3 strikes law was a bit draconian

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
24 Feb 13

Originally posted by e4chris
In the UK it feels like that Donovan song, Try and catch the wind, getting weed legal. Its what defines quality of life for a lot of people. Just looked him up and he was busted for weed, you don't need to harass people like that.

Its good to know you don't get life for 3 petty crimes like that. I thought that 3 strikes law was a bit draconian
Mandatory sentencing often seems draconian, but the other side of the coin is giving almost unlimited discretion to judges. The argument against this is that minorities tend to end up with much longer sentences.

e

Moves
24 Feb 13
2 edits

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
California in the city has collectives where you can buy marijuana and often lounges where you can smoke it. You can often smoke a joint openly on the street. Collectives are everywhere but you need a formal written recommendation from an MD which are easy to get. Many doctors do that as their primary business and advertise openly on billboards.
One of the downsides of having an NHS is you don't get to pick your treatment. I would love a prescription for it. they should use it on the NHS for certain things, apparently you can get prescribed marinol in very limited circumstances... but thats no good. I wonder how much health insurance a smoker could get if they spent £5 a day on it, probably quite a lot, but I'm not sure, would still rather have an NHS and subsidise it. But you can get reiki, reiki, I can't even spell it on the NHS, which is glorified nothing so why not cannabis.

e

Moves
28 Feb 13
2 edits

In the UK the black economy from drugs is huge, I couldn't put a number on it £10, 20, 30 billion who knows, but one thing I notice about the black market for weed in london and in scotland is few rely on it for full time jobs very few, and almost all of them would take a full time job given the choice, many just do it for weed. It would disapate fairly easily for weed at least. Also you would stop people selling plastic as cannabis (which must carry more risk then weed alone)