The creed of hate

The creed of hate

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tum podem

Sewers of Holland

Moves
04 Apr 11

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
What is the mechanism of hatred?
Isn't hatred generally a long drink of fear with a shot of "no solution available" thrown in?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
04 Apr 11

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/01/the-love-hate-hormone-ingroupoutgroup-wars-and-the-power-of-culture/
Lots of over-interpretation going on there. As usual, the scientific reporter feels at liberty to claim a lot more than the scientists he's reporting on.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
04 Apr 11

Originally posted by Palynka
Lots of over-interpretation going on there. As usual, the scientific reporter feels at liberty to claim a lot more than the scientists he's reporting on.
That's just how science bubbles over into politics. Nothing to be done, I fear. But at least the article indicates that oxytocin may be implicated in 'love' and 'hate' and of course there's the in/outgroup thing which could just possibly be relevant to this topic. Also, perhaps, it shows that the biology of love/hate is not fully understood, leaving those who argue in terms of 'religions of hate' on shaky ground.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
04 Apr 11
1 edit

That's just how science bubbles over into politics. Nothing to be done, I fear. But at least the article indicates that oxytocin may be implicated in 'love' and 'hate' and of course there's the in/outgroup thing which could just possibly be relevant to this topic. Also, perhaps, it shows that the biology of love/hate is not fully understood, leaving those who argue in terms of 'religions of hate' on shaky ground.
But none of that excuses people like Trump, does it?

Unless you're a strict adherent to genetic determinism (which seems a pretty outdated view) then the physiology of hate has little bearing on whether we should accept such extreme positions.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
04 Apr 11
1 edit

But none of that excuses people like Trump, does it?
Doesn't excuse him -- sheds light on his methods.

I'm not sure it's a question of acceptance -- my response to Trump is visceral. Debate him? It'd be like debating whodey.

w

Moves
04 Apr 11

How does a body hate?
It uses the "hate" chemicals that connect to the "hate" receptors and vaddabing!!

g

Pepperland

Moves
04 Apr 11

That's a bit delusional. How can they hate something they don't think exists? Do you hate various supernatural beings?
These are certainly questions which KN may have failed to consider in his rush to provide the thread with a healthy dose of his idiosyncratically inane and frivolous denunciations of religion.