1. Germany
    Moves
    20 Jul '09 21:04
    Originally posted by NimzovichLarsen
    It's circumstantial evidence but with a little common sense you can draw a reasonable conclusion that one is not man made. A murderer can be convicted with circumstantial evidence---much less cirucmstantial evidence than we have for a God.
    Common sense is quite uncommon.
  2. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    21 Jul '09 09:54
    Originally posted by daniel58
    A SKIN CELL DOES NOT BECOME A CHILD!!!
    If you read my last post you would see that I said:

…I didn’t say they WILL become a child but rather they CAN become a child if they are cloned.
    ….
  3. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    21 Jul '09 10:45
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    If you read my last post you would see that I said:

[b]…I didn’t say they WILL become a child but rather they CAN become a child if they are cloned.
    ….
    [/b]
    I think most people are refering to an embryo latched onto the walls of a uterus when the word potential is used.
  4. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    21 Jul '09 11:12
    The best argument I have ever heard for why young fetuses / embryos are not human is this:

If you walk by a in vitro fertilization clinic and it is on fire and burning to the ground and you have a choice to save either:
    (A) 10,000 embryos
    or
    (B) a 5 year old

What would you do?
  5. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    21 Jul '09 11:15
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    The best argument I have ever heard for why young fetuses / embryos are not human is this:

If you walk by a in vitro fertilization clinic and it is on fire and burning to the ground and you have a choice to save either:
    (A) 10,000 embryos
    or
    (B) a 5 year old

What would you do?
    That is a good one. How about if there is a fire at Pizza Hut and you have the choice to save a man or a pregnant woman?
  6. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    21 Jul '09 11:18
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    That is a good one. How about if there is a fire at Pizza Hut and you have the choice to save a man or a pregnant woman?
    Ladies first. Have you no manners?!
  7. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    21 Jul '09 11:23
    Ladies first. Have you no manners?!
    lol. How about if it were a real pretty petit sweet lady and a big old hag of a pregnant woman with hair sprouting moles on her chin?
  8. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    21 Jul '09 19:26
    I think most people are refering to an embryo latched onto the walls of a uterus when the word potential is used.
    …I also suspect you might be a very long way from Andrew Hamilton's position,
    ….

-an embryo before or after its brain becomes active enough for there to credibly be some consciousness in it? -admittedly it is a huge grey area to define about at what stage that is (which only science could eventually answer) but, never a less, I think whatever the answer to that question is is relevant here because if the answer is “before” then that embryo is no more conscious than a single cell so killing it wouldn’t be much different from killing a single cell in that respect.
  9. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    21 Jul '09 21:53
    lol. How about if it were a real pretty petit sweet lady and a big old hag of a pregnant woman with hair sprouting moles on her chin?
    Saving two people is better.
  10. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    21 Jul '09 22:132 edits

(A) 10,000 embryos
    or
    (B) a 5 year old

What would you do?
    what if the choice was

(A) 10,000 children (but you have no idea who or where they are)

(B) a 5 year old crying in agony in the same room that you are in

or - there is a 5-year old in front of you. If you shoot and kill this child, you know that 10,000 lives will be saved somewhere. Would you be able to do this?
  11. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    21 Jul '09 22:15
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    what if the choice was

(A) 10,000 children (but you have no idea who or where they are)

(B) a 5 year old crying in agony in the same room that you are in
    You mean 10,000 who are already born? If so I would pick the one that I think I could save the most lives.
  12. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    21 Jul '09 22:201 edit
    Originally posted by daniel58
    You mean 10,000 who are already born? If so I would pick the one that I think I could save the most lives.
    that would be the rational thing to do -- but people (even very caring people) care much more about a few people they directly can see and experience, and ignore things like the "27,000 children that died last night"

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree