Obama verses the Amish

Obama verses the Amish

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
24 Apr 10

Originally posted by badmoon
Why should I believe some stinking blog and why do you?
Are you refuting the notion that Chuck Schumer made the Amish an exemption in Obamacare?

U

Moves
24 Apr 10

Originally posted by whodey
The article I provided showed that even though there are no direct provisions it appears that abortions may be funded indirectly. In short, it is the best of both worlds for a PR nightmare.
Uh... NO. It didn't "show" anything. The entire basis for their argument is this sentence.

Even with the very narrowly passed Capps Amendement there is nothing preventing ObamCare from effectively subsidizing voluntary, non-medically required abortions.

That is a LIE. The bill specifically prohibits private insurance to cover abortions if government subsidies are used to purchase coverage.

The bill doesn't cover abortions directly and it doesn't cover abortions indirectly. It doesn't cover abortions period. It is a LIE. Just because the thread isn't about abortion but it doesn't give you a free pass to make false statements.

K

Germany

Moves
24 Apr 10

Oh, I don't know, maybe a society that lives within its means.
Never saw a communist in you before, whodey.

g

Pepperland

Moves
24 Apr 10

As the article I provided indicates, not directly but probably indirectly.

Of course, this thread in NOT about abortion, its about the FREEDOM to oppose Obamacare due to religious preferences. So should the Amish be allowed to oppose Obamacare?
Of course, this thread in NOT about abortion, its about the FREEDOM to oppose Obamacare due to religious preferences. So should the Amish be allowed to oppose Obamacare?

No, why should they?

w

Moves
24 Apr 10
1 edit

Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
Uh... NO. It didn't "show" anything. The entire basis for their argument is this sentence.

Even with the very narrowly passed Capps Amendement there is nothing preventing ObamCare from effectively subsidizing voluntary, non-medically required abortions.

That is a LIE. The bill specifically prohibits private insurance to cover hread isn't about abortion but it doesn't give you a free pass to make false statements.
For the last time, this thread is NOT about Obamacare covering abortions. I used it as an example as to what might be opposed by religious groups. That is all. Of course, I question the notion that none of these monies will go towards a legal procedure such as abortion even though the legislation has no specific wording that it will go towards abortions. You are free to think otherwise. Unfortunatly, I seem to have used a poor example whereby people like yourself can attempt to hijack my thread.

Now getting back to the purpose of this thread, do you think the Amish have a right to evade Obamacare as Chuch U Schumer says?

w

Moves
24 Apr 10

Originally posted by generalissimo
[b]Of course, this thread in NOT about abortion, its about the FREEDOM to oppose Obamacare due to religious preferences. So should the Amish be allowed to oppose Obamacare?

No, why should they?[/b]
Because they oppose it based upon religious grounds. Should people oppose legistlation that they feel violates their freedom of religion?

K

Germany

Moves
24 Apr 10

Because they oppose it based upon religious grounds. Should people oppose legistlation that they feel violates their freedom of religion?
People are free to oppose whatever they want for whatever reason. But no, I don't believe religion should be a viable exemption for anything.

w

Moves
24 Apr 10

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
People are free to oppose whatever they want for whatever reason. But no, I don't believe religion should be a viable exemption for anything.
Then you disagree with Chuck U Schumers decision to exempt the Amish?

K

Germany

Moves
24 Apr 10

Then you disagree with Chuck U Schumers decision to exempt the Amish?
I most certainly do.

w

Moves
24 Apr 10

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
I most certainly do.
But a precedent has been set. If they are not to revoke it, then everyone else should be given the same right. Am I right?

K

Germany

Moves
24 Apr 10

But a precedent has been set. If they are not to revoke it, then everyone else should be given the same right. Am I right?
Yes, to be fair they would have to give everyone the right of exemption. Which is the reason why it's a bad idea to have exemptions like this, of course.

U

Moves
24 Apr 10
2 edits

For the last time, this thread is NOT about Obamacare covering abortions. I used it as an example as to what might be opposed by religious groups. That is all. Of course, I question the notion that none of these monies will go towards a legal procedure such as abortion even though the legislation has no specific wording that it will go towards abortions. ...[text shortened]... of this thread, do you think the Amish have a right to evade Obamacare as Chuch U Schumer says?
I don't care what the thread is about. When you make blatantly false statements people are free to correct them.

It's not that there is no wording in the bill allocating funds toward abortion. There is specific wording prohibiting federal funds from funding abortion. There is even wording prohibiting private insurance companies from funding it for policies that are subsidized by the government.

See, this just one example of why the Democrats just need to give the finger to the Republicans. The strict wording in the bill that goes after abortion rights was meant to appease Conservatives. They still don't support the bill, which is perfectly fine. But then they take it further and blatantly LIE about the bill - convincing people it will fund abortions, so they don't even get credit for their compromise. The Republicans are going to stick to their talking points regardless of the content of the bill and regardless of the truthfulness of their talking points.

w

Moves
24 Apr 10

I don't care what the thread is about. When you make blatantly false statements people are free to correct them.

It's not that there is no wording in the bill allocating funds toward abortion. There is specific wording prohibiting federal funds from funding abortion. There is even wording prohibiting private insurance companies from fun ...[text shortened]... s[/i] of the content of the bill and regardless of the truthfulness of their talking points.
Apparently you have nothing to say about letting the Amish escape Obamacare.

U

Moves
24 Apr 10

Apparently you have nothing to say about letting the Amish escape Obamacare.
Now that I've corrected the record, sure.

I personally don't think religion should exempt you from the law. Laws should apply equally to everyone.

w

Moves
24 Apr 10

Now that I've corrected the record, sure.

I personally don't think religion should exempt you from the law. Laws should apply equally to everyone.
So I suppose it is a concensus. No one thinks that the Amish should be treated any differently than anyone else. So does anyone propose reforming the bill or shall we let others opt out as well?