1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Jun '09 15:504 edits
    I thought a thread on this was in order as things escalate between Korea and the US/UN. So it is my understanding that NK is shipping and will continue to ship merchandise to other countries around the world. Of course, the fear is that they are supplying the rest of the world with WMD's so the US/UN have imposed restrictions and said they need to check these shipments to see if they are "OK". Of course, NK is having nothing to do with this and say that such an attempt would be an act of war and they would wipe the US off the face of the map.

So assuming I have my facts straight, who will flinch first? Will the US allow shipments to continue to flow out of NK without forcing them to stop in order to check the shipments for WMD's or will they just let them go on their merry way? If they do force them to stop, will NK launch nukes or just sit and eat crow? If they do launch nukes against the US, what will be the response? Will the US respond using nukes?

This kind of reminds me of how WW1 and WW2 went before it all started. The US was supplying the UK with supplies for war and the Germans saw this as an act of war and responded accordingly. I don't see how this is much different other than the fact we are talking about WMD's In a way, the US is now in the position that Germany was at one point before both great wars. Should the US/UN put themsefves in such a position to police the world as Germany tried before both great wars?
  2. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    24 Jun '09 15:53
    Originally posted by whodey
    I thought a thread on this was in order as things escalate between Korea and the US/UN. So it is my understanding that NK is shipping and will continue to ship merchandise to other countries around the world. Of course, the fear is that they are supplying the rest of the world with WMD's so the US/UN have imposed restrictions and said they need to check the ...[text shortened]... do launch nukes against the US, what will be the response? Will the US respond using nukes?
    Would you launch a nuke at someone if you knew you would immediately be nuked?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Jun '09 15:561 edit
    Originally posted by uzless
    Good question although I'm not sure how you would know without a shadow of a doubt that you would be nuked until it actually happened. Even then it would probably be hard to fathom someone actually had the gonades to do so.
  4. At the Revolution
    Moves
    24 Jun '09 15:58
    Ahh, we're back to MAD. I haven't heard that one in a while.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Jun '09 15:59
    Originally posted by scherzo
    Insanity knows no nationality.
  6. At the Revolution
    Moves
    24 Jun '09 16:04
    Originally posted by whodey
    Insanity knows no nationality.
    That made sense and was completely relevant to the thread.
  7. silicon valley
    Moves
    24 Jun '09 16:31
    we should pull out of S. Korea and let China and Japan worry about it.

a UN resolution that makes it optional for the NK crews to permit searches of the ships will be extremely counterproductive if the NK crews refuse the searches.
  8. Pepperland
    Moves
    24 Jun '09 16:34
    Thats a bit like the cuban missile crisis.

I doubt n.korea would nuke the US, and I don't think the US would nuke n.korea. There's too much to lose.

N.korea's threats are baseless, kim might be crazy and all, but he'd have to be a total nutcase to even consider using nuclear weapons.

He's just trying to scare people, the guy's got a big ego.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    24 Jun '09 22:37
    Originally posted by scherzo
    No, not MAD in this case. MAD is Russia. This is AAD. Aggressor Assured Destruction. The US would survive and continue to thrive even after being nuked.
  10. Joined
    05 Apr '09
    Moves
    24 Jun '09 22:47
    This is vastly different than the Cuban missile crisis or WW1 or 2. First, there is not east and west any more. Global opinion is very much on 1 side. Even the Chinese (who are the only ally NK has) has distanced itself. That said, not sure what NK would have to gain other than an act of petulance to let the US know it won't be pushed around.

If there is a threat of escalation it comes from Asia. Japan is (quite rightly) saying the terms of conditions of disarmament (Treaty of Versailles) no longer apply. Japan rearms, NK fires a weapon, Japan puts ships out in plain view, China gets concerned - see my point. Forget the US, its the Chinese reaction we need to closely watch.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Jun '09 22:521 edit
    Missing the point here people. The threat isn't that N Korea would launch a nuke, the threat is they'll give one to someone that will plant it somewhere and set it off as a terrorist act. Lot of targets besides America, the world is threatened.
  12. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    24 Jun '09 22:56
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    Missing the point here people. The threat isn't that N Korea would launch a nuke, the threat is they'll give one to someone that will plant it somewhere and set if off as a terrorist act. Lot of targets besides America, the world is threatened.
    Bingo!
  13. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    24 Jun '09 23:091 edit
    North Korea has been playing this game with America for the last couple of decades. North Korea does something threatening involving its nuclear capabilities and after a few months of wrangling, they ultimately promise to behave if the US will offer North Korea a whole bunch of goodies. Which works for a year or so, and then North Korea plays the same game.

At some point the game needs to stop. But I don't know how much the outside world can do. The people of North Korea need to rise up like all those people in Iran have been doing and take a stand for freedom and democracy.

For some reason, Kim & Co are the world champs when it comes to keeping its people isolated from outside communication (although Burma is a close second). You'd think that with all our 21st century technology, there'd be a way to allow the North Korean people to get access to "uncensored" information.
  14. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    25 Jun '09 00:57
    Rumor has it at the moment they plan to fire a rocket in the direction of Hawaii on the 4th of July.The saber rattling continues!
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Jun '09 01:18
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Rumor has it at the moment they plan to fire a rocket in the direction of Hawaii on the 4th of July.The saber rattling continues!
    Do you suppose North Korea would make a fuss if the US did the same and fired one in their direction?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree