1. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 13:17
    Portland will be adding sex reassignment surgery to it's health coverage for city employees. Do you believe this is something taxpayers should pay for? If we adopted a single payer system, would sex reassignment surgery be covered? Do you consider such a surgery to be medically necessary?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 13:27
    Originally posted by dryhump
    Portland will be adding sex reassignment surgery to it's health coverage for city employees. Do you believe this is something taxpayers should pay for? If we adopted a single payer system, would sex reassignment surgery be covered? Do you consider such a surgery to be medically necessary?
    Portland has a large population of people like this so I guess it makes sense:

YouTube
  3. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 13:50
    Originally posted by dryhump
    How often can you have sex reassignment surgery?
  4. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 13:56
    Originally posted by quackquack
    Honestly, I don't know. You can have the surgery reversed, apparently.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 13:57
    You don't have Lasik surgery very often either.
  6. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 14:31
    Originally posted by sh76
    You don't have Lasik surgery very often either.
    I certainly would not want to pay for sex reassignment surgery but if we look at this in terms of economics (as opposed to a moral issue) perhaps it is not that big a deal.

I am guessing as far as total costs go, the cost of offering sex reassignment surgery is probably pretty low because not that many people want it. I also wonder if many of these people who would opt for it, currently have psychological issues that are expensive (and covered) and if these cost decrease after surgery the net cost may be lower

Proably there is a relatively huge demand for Lasik and that on young people it could cause other expensive problems down the road.
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 15:00
    I certainly would not want to pay for sex reassignment surgery but if we look at this in terms of economics (as opposed to a moral issue) perhaps it is not that big a deal.

I am guessing as far as total costs go, the cost of offering sex reassignment surgery is probably pretty low because not that many people want it. I also wonder if many of these p ...[text shortened]... demand for Lasik and that on young people it could cause other expensive problems down the road.
    That something costs less is not a very compelling reason that we should pay for it.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 15:10
    I don't think medical insurance should cover any elective surgery. Insurance is supposed to cover unexpected things that happen to you, not things you'd simply like to change.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 15:24
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I don't think medical insurance should cover any elective surgery. Insurance is supposed to cover unexpected things that happen to you, not things you'd simply like to change.
    Too bad there's a lot of people on this site that could use a new personality wish health insurance would cover that
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 15:36
    Originally posted by Zapp Brannigan
    Too bad there's a lot of people on this site that could use a new personality wish health insurance would cover that
    No need for insurance. A new screen name and password. Hey pretso! A new personality. I ought to know.
  11. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 15:50
    That something costs less is not a very compelling reason that we should pay for it.
    I don't think you are objecting to insurance paying for non-essential items (you'd be ok with insurance for a yacht). I think you are objecting to the government paying for your non-essential surgery. To me this is exactly why people should purchase their own insurance and they can decide what they do not want insured. Some people might object to lasik, others abortions, others sex change surgery, plastic surgery etc.
  12. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 15:501 edit
  13. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 15:501 edit
  14. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 15:52
    Now there's a point worth making 3 times! 😉

But yes, I agree with what you said.
  15. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 16:03
    Now there's a point worth making 3 times! 😉

But yes, I agree with what you said.
    My computer wasn't working and it definitely should not have been made three times

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree