Legalizing drugs

Legalizing drugs

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K

Germany

Moves
19 Jun 14

Originally posted by quackquack
Your sarcasm ignores the point. It took hard work to acquire and accumulate the wealth. Perhaps the government should quantify the hard work that it did to justify a piece of the inheritance.
Can you quantify the relationship between "hard work" and accumulating wealth? I am more wealthy than most of the world population and haven't worked hard a day in my life.

q

Moves
19 Jun 14

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
Can you quantify the relationship between "hard work" and accumulating wealth? I am more wealthy than most of the world population and haven't worked hard a day in my life.
This is a rights issue not a quantification issue. You right to keep your property might be your most valuable right. I certainly rather be able to keep my possession then have the right to express my opinion.

K

Germany

Moves
19 Jun 14

This is a rights issue not a quantification issue. You right to keep your property might be your most valuable right. I certainly rather be able to keep my possession then have the right to express my opinion.
You're incoherently rambling; an estate tax is a tax on someone's income, not a confiscation of property.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
19 Jun 14
1 edit

You're incoherently rambling; an estate tax is a tax on someone's income, not a confiscation of property.
Actually it is neither. According to the IRS:

The Estate Tax is a tax on your right to transfer property at your death.

As of this year, only estates with a gross worth of $5,340,000 pay any tax at all. Claiming such a tax, which exempts something like 99% of all estates, is "confiscation" is absurd.

It would be nice if inheritances were treated as income in the year they were received and taxed at normal rates.

K

Germany

Moves
19 Jun 14

Originally posted by no1marauder
Actually it is neither.
Let's not have a semantic discussion about this.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
19 Jun 14

Let's not have a semantic discussion about this.
I'm sorry; I edited the post. I think the distinction is a bit more than "semantic".

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
19 Jun 14

You don't get to keep your property after you are dead. And being dead also has a serious negative effect on your ability to express your opinion.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
19 Jun 14
1 edit

We completely disagree. To me it is certainly noteworthy that the government still insists on taxing you even after you are dead.
Your estate after your death is a separate legal entity from you. It pays any taxes due, you (being dead) don't. Just ask wiki:

An estate (or decedent estate) is a legal entity created as a result of a person's death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estate_(law)

A number of things which you owned in life do not pass into your estate - your interest in a joint tenancy, life insurance policies, etc. etc. etc.

q

Moves
19 Jun 14
1 edit

You don't get to keep your property after you are dead. And being dead also has a serious negative effect on your ability to express your opinion.
Whether the government taxes you or taxes a fictional entity, the original issue was are taxes completely avoided by death. The correct answer is no.
I believe this is a significant issue as the government through tax legislation continually interferes with ones most valuable right to keep what is yours.
I'm done commenting here as I believe people wished to discuss legalization of drug and this seems off topic.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
19 Jun 14
1 edit

The government shouldn't just take your property. The government through tax legislation continually interferes with your most valuable right to keep what is yours.
It's not your property after you are dead.

A government needs revenue to function. It would be extremely difficult for anyone to amass property without a government and impossible for anyone to amass $5 million worth of it without government. You have no "right" to not pay what your fellow citizens have determined to be a fair share of society's taxes so long as the taxes aren't invidiously discriminatory or at such high levels they are confiscatory (i.e. leave you with not enough to survive).

q

Moves
19 Jun 14

It's not your property after you are dead.

A government needs revenue to function. It would be extremely difficult for anyone to amass property without a government and impossible for anyone to amass $5 million worth of it without government. You have no "right" to not pay what your fellow citizens have determined to be a fair share of s ...[text shortened]... natory or at such high levels they are confiscatory (i.e. leave you with not enough to survive).
The government if it wishes to have more revenue should broaden the tax base so all feel the pinch. Your wish that they continually take from the same group which already contributes the most is offensive.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
19 Jun 14
1 edit

The government if it wishes to have more revenue should broaden the tax base so all feel the pinch. Your wish that they continually take from the same group which already contributes the most is offensive.
That's up to the People to decide. The tax burden on the wealthy in this country is hardly onerous. Taxing people who can barely survive as it is would violate the "confiscatory" prong I just mentioned.

K

Germany

Moves
19 Jun 14

So you favour a flat amount taxation system, then?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
19 Jun 14

Whether the government taxes you or taxes a fictional entity, the original issue was are taxes completely avoided by death. The correct answer is no.
I believe this is a significant issue as the government through tax legislation continually interferes with ones most valuable right to keep what is yours.
I'm done commenting here as I believe people wished to discuss legalization of drug and this seems off topic.
After you are dead, you are a "fictional entity".

An estate is hardly "fictional".

The correct answer is "yes". KN said "If you kill yourself, you don't have to pay taxes". That is true.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
19 Jun 14

So you favour a flat amount taxation system, then?
Well, except that he doesn't think that a bunch of income that you get from non-work should be taxed at all: capital gains, dividends, inheritances, etc. etc. etc.